FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Judge: Pledge of Allegiance Unconstitutional in Public Schools (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Judge: Pledge of Allegiance Unconstitutional in Public Schools
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Our national anthem should be "America the Beautiful." I've been saying it for years.

Edit: "God shed his grace on thee" could be replaced with "I stand on guard for thee." [Big Grin]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the other verses of the national anthem that no one ever sings or knows about? Maybe one of them is more palatable?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
While we're at it, why in the world is Christmas a national freakin' holiday?

Ohhh I hate that!

(just adding a gripe)

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hanakah, Ramadan, Roshashana and several other religious holidays are also national holidays. Most of the major religions are covered by a "get the day off work" protection shield.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Do you have a suggestion? Write your own pledge.

"I pledge allegiance to the principles and ideals of the United States of America, a country dedicated to securing liberty, justice, and opportunity for all people."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get paid for any other holiday...

"Hanakah, Ramadan, Roshashana and several other religious holidays are also national holidays. Most of the major religions are covered by a "get the day off work" protection shield."

I also have a very hard time getting a day off work for any of the Jewish holidays. Are you saying I'm supposed to be able to?

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And why don't you check your snide comments at the door, Pal.
Sorry. Frivilous lawsuits make my blood boil. Didn't mean to be snippy.

Most atheists I know aren't so sensitive.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I pledge allegiance to the principles and ideals of the United States of America, a country dedicated to securing liberty, justice, and opportunity for all people, under the all seeing meatballs of the Flying Spaghetti Monster."

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe -- have to go check to make sure -- that the Constitution only requires office holders to swear to the Constitution. There is nothing in it about swearing to God to be inaugurated, to witness in court, or any other public service. That's all been added in by custom or by religious lobbying.

IdahoEEBoy, note that TomD's suggestion only requires loyalty to the principles and ideals. Not to the country, not to any officeholders, but to the ideals. I have no problem with that.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is Hanukkah a national holiday? (If, in fact, Hanukkah is a national holiday, which I have never heard before.)

In terms of importance on the Jewish calendar, it doesn't rank very highly.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What about the other verses of the national anthem that no one ever sings or knows about? Maybe one of them is more palatable?
It's the tune as much as the words. A raucous drinking song that most people have trouble singing correctly should not be our national anthem. >_<

Oh, and I know five verses. So there. [Razz]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Most atheists I know aren't so sensitive.

I suspect most atheists are just resigned. Why make the noise when no politician, no political leader would dare speak out against God? For that's the only way such objections are allowed to be perceived, whatever the motives.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
They should just remove "under God" from the Pledge. I'm sure some kids will still abstain for one reason or another, but it would be a huge step in the right direction.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's common for workplaces to allow several "floating" holidays, which you can choose to assign to any day that is significant to you. In Utah, pretty much everyone in my office took off Pioneer Day (July 24). But the idea behind these floating holidays is that if your religion celebrates a day that is not a nationally recognized holiday, you can still get it off as a holiday.

I'm also surprised that even though your office doesn't pay you for those days as they would for Christmas, they won't let you take a paid personal or vacation day on a Jewish holiday.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Are you implying that you do have a problem requiring loyalty to a country?

Our country is the Constitution. It defines us, it exalts us, it provides our path. Not our geography.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not the same, but I got all the kids mad at me for refusing to donate to the United Way because it conflicted with various beliefs of mine. The school was running a contest by homeroom - most donations per person - and everyone was pissed because I hurt their chances for a pizza party.
I went through this at work, too. We were asked to voluntarily have money deducted from each paycheck for the United Way, but what it really amounted to was your boss told you that the money was going to be deducted and you had to go through all kinds of paperwork if you wanted to opt out. Yeah, I know - but the more people contributing, the better for the department head, because it looked good on paper for the univeristy to have people regularly contributing to the United Way. (actually it was some type of charity clearing house, united way was part of it, but they also gave money to a bunch of other charities.)

I said no, because one of the organizations they gave money to was Planned Parenthood. I was told that I could specify that my donation go to something in particular, if Planned Parenthood offended me, then just specify something else. So then I countered with "Yeah, but that just means a greater percentage of someone else's money will go to PP, and I'm not okay with that. I want to opt out altogether and not contribute at all. I give my charitable donations through my church."

You wouldn't believe the hassle. The trouble. The phone calls from various departments. Why was I upsetting the apple cart? I stuck to my guns, though.

Personally, I do think the whole thing is blown out of proportion. All kids can opt out. If they don't want to feel left out, then they can stand and recite the pledge but just leave off those two words. Or they can just stand there and say nothing. I've seen kids do that when I was volunteering in classrooms, although I'm pretty sure most of them weren't saying anything because they didn't know the words. [Wink]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

I really believe in seperation of church and state. But the words "In God We Trust" on our currency rank about #11,426 on the list of things I care about. The pledge is right above it.

I just don't get why some things are such a big deal. And I'm non-religious/agnostic. I care about practical things that make a difference in our day to day lives, like health-care, education, and energy conservation. Some people like causes, and that's great for them. But I just don't get that mindset. There's always something to complain about - pick your battles.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

"I don't get paid for any other holiday"

Don't complain, I don't get paid for ANY holiday.

Also, I think getting the day off work for religious reasons is federally mandated, isn't it? But you can't just get it off for the heck of it. As for Christmas, if we didn't make it a holiday, everyone would take it off and businesses would shut down anyway, might as well sanction it.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
ONE NATION, INDIVISIBLE
WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

Maybe its just me, but THAT sounds beautiful to me. I don't think you can find a phrase more American than that.

And if we were able to go back to the original motto, I'd have to throw a party. Recently, I've been feeling that Canada is more American than America. It'd be nice to return to the ideals the Framers laid out for us.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tom's point about the whole "one indivisible nation" thing being parsed as "don't forget who won the Civil War" is worthy of serious consideration.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I said no, because one of the organizations they gave money to was Planned Parenthood.
It should surprise no one that this is the reason I refused as well.

You're absolutely right about the allocation aspect, by the way. If no one donated unallocated money, it wouldn't be a problem. Or if they assigned the unallocated money before tallying the allocated money, it would be OK. But they don't, so I won't donate to them.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I just don't get why some things are such a big deal.

As I said in my first post in this thread, I think the guy is an idiot for trying to make it a big deal. Arguing the point here is one thing, but I wouldn't trying to force that opinion through legislature. I agree, too many other things more worth consideration.

But as long as we're arguing anyway, I'm making my position known [Smile] I really don't see how changing the motto and Pledge in the first place was in any way defensible unless religious hysteria is a valid defense, but I've long accepted the reality of it.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't quite see the issue with the "Civil War reminder." I mean, everyone who considered themselves at one time to be part of the Confederation, is now dead. Our country doesn't seem to have a problem with being united. If anything, the South is running this country right now.

I've lived in the South my whole life and am glad that we were united after the Civil War. Even the morons who take up Confederate flags on their garage doors recognize that its history only and don't seem to want to leave the union.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say everyone in the south considers it history. There are some folks here in South Carolina who would take up arms tomorrow if they could. Sad, isn't it?

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

....and this country would be a lot saner if everyone understood what you just said.

What makes you think that you have the right to decide what people should find important?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, even though I will certainly be persecuted and ridiculed for this belief, I'll say this: I like our national anthem. Especially the final verse:

quote:
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

So I'm fine with replacing the Pledge with singing the National Anthem, as long as they sing the whole thing.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
No, but you implied that you knew what was important, and that everyone is somewhat crazy for not agreeing with you.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Which is, of course, exactly what everyone thinks. That they know what's really important, and anyone who doesn't agree with them doesn't get it.

I think this is why it's so hard to get everyone to agree on even the simplest things.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Well, even though I will certainly be persecuted and ridiculed for this belief...

Why? No reason you should be.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

I have a fondness for that verse as well, but I think it is wrong for a national anthem in about 17 different ways.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Oh, I don't think it should be adopted. Just don't see a reason to ridicule anybody for thinking it should.
Belle
Member # 2314

I'm trying to sing that verse and I can't do it. I'd have to see it on sheet music, it's just not working for me.

One complaint I have about our national anthem is that it's darn HARD to sing.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you should be ridiculed for liking the last verse, but...

quote:
So I'm fine with replacing the Pledge with singing the National Anthem, as long as they sing the whole thing.
I take this to mean that you object to any form of pledge that does not require the person reciting it to affirm the existance of God. Or at the very least, that you object to any pledge which does not mention God.

Or is there another way to take that statement?

If so, I would ask why you hold this belief. You are no longer opposing taking the words out, but are now insisting that they be there. So, why do you believe the pledge of allegience must have "God" in it?

I can't think of any reason which is not deserving of scorn. But perhaps I am missing one.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
[QB] Okay, imagine a classroom in a public school during homeroom.

2) Remain seated, effectively announcing to the class that you have a problem with reciting the pledge. There are two reasons that you could have for not reciting the pledge, either you are an atheist, or you have something against the United States.

Or you're a Jehovah's Witness, in which neither of those two assumptions would apply.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Belle -

If it helps, "Ever", "heaven", and "motto" all become one-syllable words.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever doesn't. Motto doesn't. Power does.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Nope, didn't help. Not parsing for me at all.

quote:
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation
There are too many syllables in this line...I can't get it to work. Not that it matters, I doubt anybody is going to put me on the spot tomorrow and ask me to sing it but it's just bugging me.
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Try pronouncing Power as "Pow'r"
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Yup. Forgot "Power". And should have said re, "ever" and "motto" that you sing them too quickly to be really graceful.
Belle
Member # 2314

*dances*

I think I got it now!

Whew! I can sleep tonight.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

O-oh! thus be it ev-er, when free men shall stand
Be-tween their loved homes and the war's de-so-la-tion!
Blest with vic'try and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our mo-tto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spang-u-ul'd ban-ner in tri-u-umph sha-all wave
O'er the la-and of the free and the home of the brave!

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
O’er . . . . . .Praise
the . . . . . . the
ram . . . . . . Pow’r
parts . . . . . that
we . . . . . . . hath
watched . . . . .made
were . . . . . . and
so . . . . . . . . pre
gal . . . . . . . .served
lant . . . . . . . .us
ly . . . . . . . . . a
stream . . . . . . na
ing . . . . . . . . .tion

Never mind, you already got it. [Smile] I know how absolutely irritating it is to get something like that stuck in your head and not be able to resolve it.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
And should have said re, "ever" and "motto" that you sing them too quickly to be really graceful.
Nope. You draw them out.
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
The pledge cannot be required. It is unconstutional to require someone to pledge an allegience when it is something they do not believe is proper, or because they don't agree with the sentiments. Period. I say that as one of Jehovah's Witnesses who didn't say it in numerous schools throughout my life and never had a problem. My son is now in school and when I informed the teacher he wouldn't be saying it, there was also no complaint (though it was requested that he stand respectfully, which I fully support).
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

ketchupqueen,

When you come to visit Chicago, you'll have to sing it for me!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Right. Whenever that is.

Any plans to come to L.A.? [Wink]

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
This land is your land
This land is my land

Sorry, it's copywrited.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(This land is my land, it is not your land,
I've got a shotgun, and you don't got one,
I'll blow your head off, if you don't get off.
This land is private property! *giggles* )

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe -- have to go check to make sure -- that the Constitution only requires office holders to swear to the Constitution. There is nothing in it about swearing to God to be inaugurated, to witness in court, or any other public service. That's all been added in by custom or by religious lobbying.
In fact the constitution forbids religious tests for holders of public office.

There was a case just recently where a town held a recall election specifically to throw out a councilman (?) because he didn't say the pledge. Assuming his reason was because the pledge contained "under God," the pledge was used as a religious test. Even if that isn't his reason, it could still be used that way, and thus it's still unconstitutional, even without the first amendment.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

KQ:

As I went walking,I saw a sign there
on the sign it said "No Trespassing"
But on the other side it didn't say nothing
That side was made for you and me!

(Actual lines from the song)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.