FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Time Travel (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Time Travel
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
He'll be The Knight Who Says 'Whoa'

('No, no, I won't say anything!'
'Whoa! Whoa!'
'Oh, please, stop, I can't bear it!'
'Whoa!'
'All right, I'll tell everything!')

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, great quidscribis, hail to thee, I'll buy all the copies to make you disgustingly rich and to be the only one who knows your secrets! [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]
Cool. [Cool]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I'd go back in time and steal the library at Pergamum....Heck, maybe I'll steal the library at Alexandria too. Either way, both libraries were destroyed in Egypt, who'd miss them?

Wait--the library at Pergamum was destroyed in Egypt? How'd that happen?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
actually if you went back in time to take the library you thus are the one responsible for taking it originally dont ya think? [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that is a trippy thought. Does that mean that whatever we do in the past was preordained? If so then my choice to meet the great conquerers of history may have resulted in the fact that they were so succesful....

It's my fault that they did so well! What has my future self done! [Angst]

Maybe I should destroy myself now so that I don't get to go back, but if I do that then who knows how much worse I could make the world.

Now this is a delemma.......

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Unless of course you go back and cant do what you set up to do, because it was preordained that you failed. Or... MIB agents stopped you.
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
They couldn't travel back in time.

Man this reminds me of Sphere....

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, being present at that crucifixion and taking video footage to prove that there damn well wasn't a resurrection, that would be cool. Though I suppose people would only say I'd faked it.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
You say that as if you know for sure. I respect your opinion not to believe in God, but don't act like the answer you choose is the obvious true answer.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rabid Newz
Member # 7704

- posted      Profile for Rabid Newz   Email Rabid Newz         Edit/Delete Post 
Similar threads to this have already been made. Like this and this . And this. And this.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Rabid, try carrying an umbrella if you're going to rain on threads. Yeah, there have been multiple threads, but so what? This thread, IMO, is different enough to enjoy it, regardless of previous discussions.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rabid Newz
Member # 7704

- posted      Profile for Rabid Newz   Email Rabid Newz         Edit/Delete Post 
You say that assuming that I don't carry around an umbrella already. [Big Grin]
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll notice he didn't say where he carries it.

...and that he walks funny.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Indeed, being present at that crucifixion and taking video footage to prove that there damn well wasn't a resurrection, that would be cool. Though I suppose people would only say I'd faked it.
Honestly, KoM, do you really not understand that, at least to some of us, it wouldn't matter ? I've said it several times - at least once on this thread.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Well according to Star Trek, it doesn't matter if its true or not for as long as the message is understood.

But aside from that thats probly one time period I would avoid just to avoid the consequences, however I would ask him on his stance of Same Sex Marriage and show that to the Bible Thumpers ah ha!

camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, that depends on who it is you're trying to prove it to. If you wanted to risk time paradoxes and the possibility of altering much of history, you could just use it to prevent early Christianity from even starting. maybe. hmmm, maybe it would have started either way.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Actuallyif the Romans exiled Joshua to say Brittain Idontthink it would've ever gotten off the ground.
timothytheenchanter
Member # 7041

- posted      Profile for timothytheenchanter   Email timothytheenchanter         Edit/Delete Post 
i know someone else would do this, but i'd go back to dallas texas in november of 1963, to get a good curry?

dang i'm hungry. maybe a curry, and a lager.

seriously, this topic, has been mildly explored in the book enchantment, and more heavily explored in pastwatch.

I'd be more interested in knowing what happened in some of the less colorful times in history, i'd probably get a kick out of just talking to people who knew my ancestors back 1000 years ago, find out who your history was.

wealth taken from the past would seem a bit like stealing to me. but the ability to know people from different cultures at different times in history would be fascinating. i'd probably be viewed as an idiot by medievel europe for not knowing how to do basic chores in the area. but i'd love to know if society has really changed that much in 1000 years,

history has changed vastly in the last 150 years, with revisionists trying to make history fit their perspective. the original story would fascinate me.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.