FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PSA for all roommates (house elves don't work in muggle homes) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: PSA for all roommates (house elves don't work in muggle homes)
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, that's it exactly. The little notes are so disrespectful, and I think they are pansy, too. I'm not her child or hers to command, and we live together under mutual cooperation. Dictating to me while hiding behind a pen is NOT mutual cooperation.

I was awake and in my bedroom with the lights on. There is absolutely no excuse.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a terrible housekeeper. I would seriously resent any implication that I was inferior because of the low priority I place on housekeeping.

I am thankful that I don't have to have a roommate. I can only live with people that I already love. Either dear friends or a romantic partner.

One solution that I have not seen here is to hire an occasional "house elf". I would find it well worth the expense to save the time, stress, and aggravation. As well as the balm it would be to the relationship with whoever I cared enough to have for a roommate.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
It is a matter of priorities and style, not a matter of worth or goodness. So long as nobody is chronically ill from microbial overload, stealing other people's things, or putting small children at immediate risk for having huge boxes of books fall on their heads ( [Smile] ), it isn't a big deal. And even if it is a big deal, crabby notes aren't the way to address it.

kmboots, my husband and I were housekeepatorially incompatible when we first met. I grew up in a place where we hadn't seen all but a few strips of the floor in years, and I would rather not think about whether it was okay to throw away a given thing -- because I knew (from experience) I'd probably need it a week later. So we made the commitment to live apart for the rest of our lives if need be, maybe in a duplex [Smile] , so we could both be comfy.

Turns out that we met somewhere in the middle after all, and we live together happily now. But I think the idea of visiting one's love is just marvelous, even if you live next door. (Who were the lovers that lived across the park from one another? Simone de Beauvoir and Sartre? Anyway, totally romantic. Hang a red kerchief in the window when you want company!)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(I edited my first post to make it clear that I wasn't implying that Taitiana was being passive-aggressive about this. Totally different situation!)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so bad and get so stressed about it - and have so little hope of really changing my behavior permanently* - despite the best intentions - that hiring someone to come in once a while seems like heaven for me.

Even if it just for myself sometimes.

*And if he's the messy one, we are a health hazard.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I think virtually every female in the Chicago hatrack clump is the same way. Maybe we should have get togethers rotating from place to place, where everyone pitches in to shovel the place out. It's always soooo much easier with friends who aren't emotionally connected to your clutter (even if they've got plenty of clutter at their own places) you also know you aren't getting judged with friends like that since they are in the same boat!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I love chaos. I need a space that is in total disarray to feel normal.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
One solution that I have not seen here is to hire an occasional "house elf". I would find it well worth the expense to save the time, stress, and aggravation.

Absolutely agreed.

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
In perhaps the ultimate in passive/aggressive note leaving, my older brother divorced his ex-wife with a note left on the dining room table.

I assume you actually mean that he left her (and or said he wanted a divorce) with a note. (Even in states with no-fault divorce, the paperwork is a BIT more involved than that. [Wink] )

And as someone whose ex did the same thing, I actually don't necessarily consider it passive-aggressive. IF AND ONLY IF it is followed up with a conversation. A note can be the best way to clearly state the issues, without it devolving into yelling or tears. However, if the note was just left there and he didn't stick around to talk about it, then I agree with you.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me so glad I'm finally in a roommate situation that I love. (No offense to former roommates....)

My last roommate situation was with a guy (my boyfriend) and another guy. My boyfriend said that I had promised that the place would be neat, and IT WAS NOT! Meanwhile, he threw all his trash right next to wherever it was he was sitting at the time it became trash. And when he cleaned, he claimed he was the only one who ever, ever, ever cleaned. But when I cleaned, he didn't notice. And if I pointed it out, he said, "Big deal." The other roommate had his girlfriend over every night, and they were extremely loud, and every time she saw me, she was extremely rude to me. The last time, I saw her, she, my ex-boyfriend, and her boyfriend were sitting at a table in a restaurant I'd walked into. I went over to say hi, and said that I was just passing through because I was meeting friends shortly. And she said, "Well, hurry up and pass through already!"

Before that, I had a roommate who routinely left her alarm clock on even when she was sleeping elsewhere. And she was so obsessive about how no one could go into her room that I actually felt guilty creeping into her room at six am to turn off her alarm clock even though I'd already ignored it for thirty minutes, knocked on the door for ten, and checked that her car wasn't there twice.

My current roommate is messy like I am-- we leave things where they don't go, don't do dishes, leave accumulations of things that ought to be thrown out, and then once a week run around and put everything in its place. The other night, we had a party, and it took about thirty minutes of cleaning up the mail, pushing furniture back into place, tossing all the laundry into the washer and the hampers, running the dishwasher and hauling out trash to make for a really respectable apartment. And, like me, he seems to prefer to do it as a joint effort.

In fact, we're both Internet addicts, and we don't have a network or a router-- we share the same Internet line, and even that is going well.

So I'm pretty pleased. =D

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "if you share a meal with the person who cooked, it would be nice as a matter of courtesy to be the person who cleaned up."
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I accidentally gave my girlfriend a sock and now she wants me to clean up after myself! [Mad]

[ROFL]

Exactly! [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- When you borrow someone's tools, do not leave them outside exposed to the elements for weeks on end.
*cringe*
I remember when I left my last job they pretended that my toolbox has been outside for a week even though they put it out there once they saw me come to pick it up. I remember taking it in good fun, but I was irritated nonetheless. Tools are a hot-button issue with me, I pay good money for good tools(Snap-On tools), so I loan them out very cautiously.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.