FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My pool cue was stolen: UPDATE..Spoke to the DA today! :D (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My pool cue was stolen: UPDATE..Spoke to the DA today! :D
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
kwea: What happened to the cue that was stolen? Did the thieves break it, or sell it off, or is it stuck in an evidence room?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad plays in a league and goes to tournaments all over the Southwest with his 'crew'. He's good at it in a 'local dive bar' sense, but nowhere near as proficient as Kwea.

The thing is: he loves the game. Even when he loses. He loves the whole part of it; the camaraderie with his team, the science of the shots, the showmanship of "English" and specialty shots. That's all there needs to be in it, regardless of monetary prizes or winning (although money and winning is wonderful!).

One year my mom bought my dad a custom cue for his birthday. I thought the man was going to cry. It's not a $1400 cue, but to him, it is priceless. I think it's the only thing he really takes care of (you should see the state of his car, it's disgusting), and if it ever got stolen, he would definitely lose his mojo for a while. His enjoyment. Money is just money, but mojo matters.

*commiserates with Kwea*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had no idea pool was so... potentially expensive - though in thinking about it, I realize I should have figured.
It seems to me that just about any pasttime, if you get serious about it, has expensive accoutrements.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that pool is one of those sports that favours shorter people. I'm sure there are plenty of great pool players that are tall, but being down close to the level of the table seems to make the game more fun. Most of the people that I've known who were even halfway decent at pool were much shorter than me. I hate playing pool as I have to lean way over to line up a decent shot. Since I normally play for leisure, this makes the game less fun for me.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How short would you have to be to not need to lean over when lining up a shot?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's ridiculous to spend sooo much money on a hobby.

::discreetely kicks her magic cards under the bed::

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
To anecdotally prove Primal's point, one of my classmates was parapalegic, and he was an awesome pool player. He said being low helped him some, but he was pretty good before his accident too.

I'm tall, and I think that helps me in pool because I can reach shots that shorter people need a bridge for, which is an advantage for me (or it would be if I could make them).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
not at all....pool favors the taller players, particularly for professionals, they can reach more shots without a bridge.

I ike playing with the cue that I have, butI shoot a LOT better with the cue that was stolen. [Frown]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by jexx:
My dad plays in a league and goes to tournaments all over the Southwest with his 'crew'. He's good at it in a 'local dive bar' sense, but nowhere near as proficient as Kwea.

The thing is: he loves the game. Even when he loses. He loves the whole part of it; the camaraderie with his team, the science of the shots, the showmanship of "English" and specialty shots. That's all there needs to be in it, regardless of monetary prizes or winning (although money and winning is wonderful!).

One year my mom bought my dad a custom cue for his birthday. I thought the man was going to cry. It's not a $1400 cue, but to him, it is priceless. I think it's the only thing he really takes care of (you should see the state of his car, it's disgusting), and if it ever got stolen, he would definitely lose his mojo for a while. His enjoyment. Money is just money, but mojo matters.

*commiserates with Kwea*

Anyone can play in the US ameteur, they just have to pay the entry.

He is probably as good as I am now, maybe better. :

I love playing, much in the same way you mentioned your dad does. That is part of why I am so pissed off....it isn't just the cue, but now every time I go in there (and I am their house pro) I will remember the cue was stolen.

The police AV people went to Players (the bar) today and lifted the video from their hard drive, and they said it is one of the most open and shut case they have ever seen. [Big Grin] The detective can now issue warrents.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mar?
Sharpie, "Mar" means "ruin something", "lessen something's quality". Check your friendly nearest dictionary. I know I did (since I do not speak english as a first language, I assumed, at first, I typed it in a wrong way). [Wink]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he was objecting to your use of a sharpie (his username) to 'mar' something. 'Mar' having negative connotations, as you know.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably right. I'm too dumb to notice a joke, hehe. :-)
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

In your defense, it's a pretty subtle joke for someone who's first language is Portugese. Or is it Spanish?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Her username. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
How short would you have to be to not need to lean over when lining up a shot?

I don't think you quite realize just how far I have to lean over to play pool- especially in the typically cramped spaces pool tables tend to reside. I mean, I could just bend over slightly and make the shot, but if I want to line it up and carefully hit the cue ball, I have to crouch down a lot. It's uncomfortable and usually means I can't make certain shots unless I do some kind of crazy acrobatics. That takes the fun out of the game. I'd rather play ping-pong or video games. Of course, with ping-pong I have to watch the basement ceiling.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was just being a goof, Eduardo_Sauron. [Smile]
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm not an American, and I don't play one on tv...

I don't understand how this works. I thought that the cops kept the cue for evidence until trial was over or a plea bargain was arranged, and then you got it back. But that isn't what I'm seeing you describe. Do the cops then keep your pool cue for forever in case of appeals? Do you ever get it back? And what is this reward money you speak of? Or did you mean compensation money?

It sucks that this happened.

(Kwea here, as my wife didn't log out again. [Big Grin] )

Quid, there have been no arrests yet, although that should change very quickly.

Each of the guys claimed on the phone the night of the theft that the ohter one had the cue at that moment. I thought at first that I had just misplaced the cue, and they left before the video footage had been examined. We knew who they were though, and had the police call them on their cell phones. [Big Grin]

I would get the cue back, since it is obvious that it belonged to me...usually the cue would only be kept for evidence if there was some dispute over who really owned it. The video shows them sneaking around stealing it from me, and I have the phone number of the person who sold me the cue, so I can prove it was mine.

If the police had SEEN them stealing it then they could have been arrested right away...or if they had still been there when the police arrived perhaps, but as it stands a detective has to go make the arrest at this point rather than a patrolman.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 9153

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip   Email CoriSCapnSkip         Edit/Delete Post 
Something so valuable should perhaps be insured.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It wouldn't fly, as I had left it alone at a public place. It would have been neglegent of me, at least in the eyes of an insurance agent. [Big Grin]

Mind you, I know I usually would ahve kept it close, but I hada few friends in the room and figured it was safe....safe enough for a few minutes, anyway. I was obviously wrong.

It IS insured, as it is on my Renters' insurance, so if my apartment had burned down or been robbed it would have been covered. [Big Grin]

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Primal, how tall are you?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Most professional pool players are about 6' tall, although there are exceptions. Some are quite taller.

It makes quite a difference on a full sized 9' regulation table. There ae simply some shots that cannot be done consistantly with a bridge (crutch), and I just can't reach them in some locations on the table.

I imagine bending over the table can be a pain if you are really, really tall, but at least making those shots is a possibility for someone that tall. For me it isn't, so I have to find workarounds to them. [Grumble]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Still haven't heard from the police, so I will probably call the detective tomorrow. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, warrents have been issued today, or will be by tomorrow morning. [Big Grin]

The original police officer requested to take the case over, because the punks made it personal. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

In the one day he has had my case he has already taken sworn statments about the identity of the two theives and begun having warrents issued for them. [Big Grin] I don't think his job is in danger, despite what those kids said. [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] (you forgot one)
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

No I didn't, I just wanted to prove you wrong....you ARE that good at something....

Posting on Hatrack! [Wink]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
The original police officer requested to take the case over, because the punks made it personal. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

In the one day he has had my case he has already taken sworn statments about the identity of the two theives and begun having warrents issued for them. [Big Grin] I don't think his job is in danger, despite what those kids said. [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]

I feel like less of a person for the big grin spreading across my face.

Dang, do I ever love to see power wielded justly to fight the good fight.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, thanks for answering my question. And warrants! Yehaw! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, criminals really are stupid! [Big Grin] I'm so glad these guys are getting caught. What are the chances that you get your cue back soon in good condition? I hope that happens!

Kwea, it's a shame to let them throw your game off, though, or diminsh your enjoyment of something you love. I hope you can take comfort in knowing that you helped teach a valuable lesson to a couple of mentally and morally retarded people, and that you're able to let your anger go. It would be too bad if you let them mess up something that brought you so much pleasure.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't play much these days as it is, to be honest. It takes a HUGE investment of time and effort to play at a high level, at least for me, and I would rather spend the evenings with my wife than go and travel around shooting pool with a bunch of people (some of questionable character) I don't' really know.

Most of the "heat of the moment" anger has passed, but there is still this ice cold core of it that remains, and that sort of scares me to be honest.

I doubt I will have to take matters into my own hands at this point, although if I were to run into one randomly at this point I would really have to restrain myself from going after him.

I am about as far from being "macho" as you can get, really, but in some ways that just makes me more dangerous when things get to this stage. I don't need to beat them one on one, I would be just as happy (perhaps even more happy) finding a way to do it privately, from a distance.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like two people are going to learn the hard way that not knowing how much something is worth isn't a defense against grand larceny.

I hope the prosecutors follow through with it. This is the kind of crime that, if tolerated, has a bigger effect on quality of life than one would expect.

If nothing else, keeping Kwea from getting pissed off is a public necessity. [Smile]

I'm glad things seem to be moving toward a good resolution.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am about as far from being "macho" as you can get, really, but in some ways that just makes me more dangerous when things get to this stage.
Dude, chill.
You're, like, one step from whipping out your Real Ultimate Power (tm), and we all know where that winds up.

Seriously, I get that you're ticked. But if you're STILL full of a "ice-cold core" of anger and on the verge of being "dangerous," you should consider that a PROBLEM.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Tom, thats for the concern, but I am OK. I am completely satisfied at this point to let the legal system take care of this, and I think that that will work out completely to my satisfaction.

Being aware of that sort of anger is actually a GOOD thing, because there were times in my past where I overestimated my control of my temper and it got ugly. Also, I am not FULl of that anger, but it IS still present. I will not make the mistake of letting myself forget that. [Big Grin]

Remember, I turned down a State Police job because of this, because I didn't want to carry a gun. I was able to walk away from that situation, which would have been far more dangerous than anything else, because I knew that I didn't trust myself enough to carry.

Awareness of anger, for me at least, is usually enough to make me avoid situations where it could get out of hand.

Honestly, if I ran into one of them now I would simply call Officer Adkins and tell him where they were....unless they challenged me face to face. ewven then I would probaby try to walk away, but I have seen enough of these type of idiots to know they usually won't let you walk away....

THAT'S when things can get ugly real quick. [Wink]

However, if they get don't get convicted, or the prosecutors choose to let this case go....I don't know what will happen at that point, to be honest.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
See, this line -- "THAT'S when things can get ugly real quick" -- is what bothers me, especially with the wink attached.

Because that IS about as macho as it can get.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

No it isn't, not at all.

Macho would be :"I am going to hunt them down and get them", or "If I see them they will pay.".

I have been in situations where fighting back was the only option more than once, Tom, and after being mugged in the Army I learned one thing.....

There is no such thing as a fair fight!

If I am unable to walk away, and unable to call the police...which I said were my first options, even now, as pissed as I am....then if anyone is going to bleed it will be them, and I will have little or no regret about it. I didn't steal from them....and I would NOT be the one making aggressive moves at them in that case.

But once a fist is thrown, I won't care if I hit them with my fist or a baseball bat. I saw a kid die in a fistfight once, Tom, so to me once a fight begins there are no rules. No safety. Every swing they take at me could kill me, so my only job in a fight, providing I can't just run away, is to incapacitate them first, however I can, as quickly as I can.

Once again, this is why I don't own a gun, even though I enjoy target shooting and am a very good shot.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
I saw a kid die in a fistfight once, Tom, so to me once a fight begins there are no rules. No safety. Every swing they take at me could kill me, so my only job in a fight, providing I can't just run away, is to incapacitate them first, however I can, as quickly as I can.
I hope you reconsider. Everyone you fight won't be as "dangerous" as Stilson.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Bullsh*t. Every fight is as dangerous as the fight I saw in 10th grade, where one lucky punch had a kid hit his head on the curb and die.

They were only 16, man, and one of them died.

If someone is going to be hurt (or killed) let it be the one who was so eager to fight in the first place.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

The thing that concerns me is that, should anything happen to one of the guys who stole your cue, guess who would be a prime suspect? Guess how your statements in the last few weeks would read to a prosecuter? I don't know whether they'd be admissible, but I wouldn't go around bragging about how much restraint you're showing and how badly you could really hurt the guys if you had to.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am not going looking for trouble, and there would be no evidence because I am not going out of my way to get them.

I would call the police myself if there was an altercation, because I would not have started it. Hell, I would have tried to get away. [Big Grin]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Not the point. If one of these guys gets mugged and beat up, you might be questioned. It's just not smart.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Except that talking about it here on Hatrack makes me less likely to lose control....it is a balancing act, I guess. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, warrents were issued for the two idiots tonight, after all statements were sworn tp and the witnesses comfirmed their identities.. [Big Grin]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It about time.

The really sad thing about how long this has taken is that it makes the chances that you will ever see your cue again pretty low. If the police had obtained a warrant to search the guys property right away, they probably would have found the cue.

If I followed the story correctly, the perps were told weeks ago how much the cue was worth and freaked. I suspect that as soon as they found out what it was worth, they ditched in a dumpster somewhere to get rid of the evidence.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

More than a week ago, almost 3 weeks ago. It will be 3 weeks since it was stolen this Sunday.

We figure it is at the bottom of the river by now, if not in a pawn shop.

That's fine, I will hit them for the value of the cue, plus time and effort.

I expect an arrest within a week. [Big Grin]

[ May 09, 2006, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, I was wrong.

Warrants take longer than even the police thought. [Frown]

They called me last week and told me they were waiting on the DA to move on it, and they had already staked out the place I told them about to catch one of them....the methadone clinic. [Big Grin]

They know where to find them, and have seen them at this point, they are just waiting for the warrants. [Frown]

[ May 09, 2006, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, I spoke to the DA today, and the warrant is issued, finally. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

The DA had a mistake with my phone number (one digit wrong) which is why they sent me a letter; they needed to make sure they could still reach me so that I could press charges. Also, the lady I spoke to was surprised that we had video of the theft, so she needs to speak to Officer Adkins tonight. [Big Grin]

[ May 09, 2006, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.