FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Effects of theocracy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Effects of theocracy
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
This is true; the 99% confidence interval for the mean around the mean of a sample that size is breathtakingly small. In fact, its relatively easy for us to approximatet an upper bound:

Based on historical data, the standard deviation (or sample standard deviation) for the sample is almost certainly under three ( http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/organizations/bdu/images/usbodi/index.html ).

Using three as s, and looking for the 99% confidence interval for a sample of size 15,000 (upper critical value 2.576), we find the confidence interval would be about .06 (years).

Unless the sample for the overall population is significantly smaller (which would be quite odd), that the difference is significant is not in doubt. Including Mormon non-smokers from Utah will have negligible effect since we know their population mean is similar to the national population mean, and including non-Mormon non-smokers from Utah only serves to narrow the gap, since we know their population mean is less than the national population mean.

As for what the statistics actually mean, that's certainly up in the air. But there is a significant difference between the populations, no doubt at all.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I concede the point.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow enochville. I bet you never knew that now that you left the Mormon church you just whacked 5 years off your lifespan! [Wink]
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
He doesn't live in Utah, so there's no data supporting that [Razz]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha! Yes, I live in Kansas currently, but would like to live around Seattle.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Doh, for some reason I thought you lived in Utah. My attempt at cleverness is foiled by facts [Frown]
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by enochville:
Alright, I concede the point.

Thank you. Not everybody on this board would. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, irony.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.