FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Superhero Graphic Novels (Including trades) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Superhero Graphic Novels (Including trades)
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Really Tom? I read the first issue of it on the site I linked to, and it didn't do much for me. I take it it gets better?

Becky, replied to your email.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
TomD - I met the Luna brothers at a con in Orlando this year and complimented them on "Girls," but I complained that they had completely ruined my hobby of picking up anonymous girls up and having sex with them. One laughed, the other assured me that had been their goal all along.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
sarfa, if you haven't heard the buzz, then you haven't heard the buzz. I can understand that.

Claiming it doesn't exist because you haven't heard it, then saying the only reason why I brought it up is because I'm too "delicate"? Well, that's a bit less understandable. [Smile]

[ June 21, 2006, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Invincible gets TONS better as the issues progress. Once they get past setting up the world (which is quickly done), things get really cool.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Dark Knight Returns, Red Son, and a couple of the Ex Machina books yesterday.
The Ex Machina ones were definitely my favorite, I only wish my library had more of them.

DKR was quite good, too, I like Batman cause he's all angsty. And I really liked Robin in this one, too.
Ken really liked Red Son, I was kind of indifferent.

I also picked up Runaways cause I flipped through and liked the look of the art. It was ok, kind of a fluffy read. Which is ok, after the deep stuff.

All of my holds at the library came in at once today, so now I've got a giant stack of comics on my table, and the librarian looked at me like I was insane for checking out 14 books at the same time.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading 1602 now, and it's freaking awesome.

Just finished the Dark Phoenix saga; it was pretty good.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it's a year later. Anybody want to add anything to this list?
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to go with Grunge Saves the World as my favorite superhero story. Most of the Gen 13 I've read (10 years ago) was hilarious.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not been reading comics for very long, but I hearted:

Marvel 1602
Sandman: Season of Mists (Lucifer quits hell!)
Midnight Nation
Fables
and Rising Stars

For me this thread is great, since I need to know what to try next, having run through most of the suggestions I've gotten from people

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Marvel 1602, and didn't really enjoy it. It started out so well, but then, after

SPOILERS

...the Queen dies

END SPOILERS

...it just went downhill. I didn't feel like Peter Parquagh was much of a character, I thought the whole bit between Angel and Cyclops was contrived...

Just meh. Probably the only bit of writing Gaiman's done that I don't like. Andy Kubert, however, may be some sort of demigod.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Fables and The Sandman don't really count as "super-hero" comics, even though they're published by DC. [Smile]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Out of Gaiman's Marvel work, I found The Eternals to be much better than 1602.

The former is a somewhat dark look at a band of obscure Jack Kirby characters that no one was using anyway. Good stuff.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to second Superman: Red Son.

Superman's a commie, Batman's a terrorist and Lex Luthor's a capitalist hero who's actually as smart as he should be. What's not to like?

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

This: Mark Millar used the OLDEST twist ending in fantastic fiction...then bragged about how brilliant and original he was. [Roll Eyes]
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I rather enjoyed "Rising Stars" -- it's about a town that had a "flash" above it several years back, and every in utero child at the time of the flash got super powers. 113 people. . . . . It focuses only on a few of them, of course, but it's really quite incredible.

"Midnight Nation" is also most excellent.

These are printed by "Top Cow" comics, in case anyone cares.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.