FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eragon (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Eragon
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was greatly encouraged about my own writing through the knowledge that the book ever got published.
I hope I don't crush your new-found encouragement, but it was self-published.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the majority of the arguments on here are great! Maybe, Shepherd, if you're thinking of reading Eragon just reflect on what you're looking to get out of it? I was looking for a good story (which i got). If you still want to read it, keep the ideas on this thread in your mind as you read and repost with your 'after-thoughts'?

I found out as I was reading that CP was young. Good Job on him for using his talent (because regardless of the refinement, he does have talent) and following through with creating a series when he was so young.

I agree with Sterling on the point of not getting too filled up with his own success to actually hone his talents into something better... He's still young - he's got years left to dazzle us.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Eragon's path to publishing is an interesting one.

Paolini wrote it in high school, and his parents published it. To promote the book, he toured high/middle schools across America; he chanced to give a speech at Carl Hiassen's son's school about writing, and he apparently also handed out books. For those of you who don't know, Carl Hiassen is a wonderful fiction writer-- his 'Stormy Weather' is a brilliant indictment of the construction industry in Southern Florida, and 'Lucky You' is one of the funniest books on the market. Carl got ahold of Eragon, and passed it to his publisher. Eragon was reprinted in 2001 by Knopf.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky kid.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Carl Zuckmayer:

"One-half of life is luck; the other half is discipline - and that’s the important half, for without discipline you wouldn’t know what to do with luck."

: )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.