FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who hates his roomate? I DO I DO!!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who hates his roomate? I DO I DO!!!
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Doc, the main problems from living together freshman year of college is that neither person has ever lived on their own (usually), and, in a lot of cases they have no idea what is and is not acceptable behavior.

My brother had a nightmare roommate his freshman year, but the kid was an only child. Which explained how he could be oblivious to how to live with someone.

Establish early on how you will communicate and mediate any problems that do arise (which they inevitably will), and you should be fine.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My question is, all these terrible roomates... where are they? They must be roaming the earth this very minute.

:s

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
JT, I honesty think most roommate problems come from the fact that...college roommates generally have to share...a room.

With separate bedrooms and bathrooms, the tension is considerably less.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I moved into the dorm, I had to fill out a questionaire. I decided to be selfish and said that I was moderately neat, slept at a reasonable hour, and didn't much like loud noise because I wanted a roommate like that. Turns out, my roommate lied on hers too so we got paired together. It was awesome. We had the most fun freshman year ever, and we're still good friends.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
None of my terrible roommates were dormmates. All were housemates -- private bathrooms and bedrooms.

Though I agree that the lack of privacy is a mitigating factor in a lot of these things.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, ElJay.

Hey Strangelove, don't get skerred. It's like labor-and-delivery stories ... they're boring if they're not traumatic, so you never hear the good ones. I was envious at school of my friends who became best friends with their roommates and did stuff together. I never did really bond with mine. But none of them were horrible. I'd have to say that if anyone in my apartments was the horrible roommate, it was me.

I did learn a lot from living with strangers though - about what other people expect, and what's polite adult behavior in running a house, etc. I hope to teach that to my kids before they move out. (And get them to stop leaving banana peels on the floor!)

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, Doc, my second roommate (and we shared a room for a full term) was the best roommate and friend I could have asked for, and this September I am the maid of honour at her wedding. Roommates can be good. [Smile]

Oh, and Krease made a good roommate as well. Guys who can cook are awesome. And if they can fix the phone jack as well, even better!

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know my freshman year roommate before we moved into the dorms together (very very small room) and I just lucked out. A month into school I was in a car accident that required physical therapy 3 times a week from october to december. She not only drove me there and back (I had no car), she carried my book bag to every one of my classes because I wasn't supposed to lift anything heavy. Keep in mind that when this all started I'd only known her for about a month. It still amazes me what she was willing to do to help me out.
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I never had a roommate. After first year, I lived almost entirely in townhouses with friends*; the only negative experiences I had were when we had to live with people we didn't know previously. Once three of us had to share a five-bedroom basement apartment with two other guys, who were complete slobs. They washed their dishes maybe two or three times in the four-month span we lived together, invariably en masse at five or six in the morning. They logged more hours on our console game systems than we did, and invited other people over to play our video games.

*And I do mean friends, not acquaintances. Friends of the absolute first order, the sort who'd carry you home, deposit you in your bed, and even clean up your vomit. Multiple times.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Roommates can be awesome. I never lived on campus (or even near campus), but my mom did. She's still close with her college roommates, and it has been over 35 years.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a roommate the dominated the TV with sports progamming. It was ESPN or ESPN2 24/7. At first I was not used to it but I started watching games with him and asking questions about things I didnt understand. We actually started enjoying each others company and found out he enjoyed video games so I got him into Unreal Tournament 2004 which we started playing together and I downloaded and NES emulator and the Final Fantasy 1-2 roms. He really enjoyed playing them and we got along just fine.

I know he was alittle sad when I moved to another apt that was too expensive for him to live in. As far as roommates go, between college and my mission I have had 19 and I am suprised how little friction I have had on the average.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.