FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gilmore Girls (or how I transform into a 13 year old girl on Tuesday nights) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gilmore Girls (or how I transform into a 13 year old girl on Tuesday nights)
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
"anything that resembles Dawson's Creek" reads as an insult.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Edit to add: I wasn't using Soap Opera as an insult.

You know, you were.

quote:

And I never said soaps were stupid, though I think they are.

quote:
They have comas, cat fights, half naked men and women, cheating/lying, ridiculous plotting, and whatever else you'd probably expect of a soap opera. The only differences are the age that the show is geared towards, and a reduced level of over the topness in the acting/writing.
quote:

All that said, it's a very well written, teen soap opera

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
First one refers to daytime soaps, my apologies, second one referred to the WB shows in general, last one is a compliment, not a diss.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*blinks* I'm confused.

Are you using two different definitions of the word soap opera? Maybe if you could provide some kind of clear definition of what you mean, we could have a conversation. Currently, as far as I can tell, the term 'soap opera' means whatever you want it to mean at any given point in time.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
For example?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Gilmore Girls is cancelled. [Frown]
May 15th will be the final show.
I didn't get into the first 3 seasons, but later got hooked. I will miss it, it was a great show.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964212.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, the show was doomed once Amy Sherman-Palladino was axed.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
Sadly, the show was doomed once Amy Sherman-Palladino was axed.

I don't think that necessarily true. Based on a lot of other people's opinions I've read and my own personal opinion, Sherman-Palldino did most of the sabotaging with how she and her husband treated the Luke and Lorelai relationship and the subsequent Christopher and Lorelai relationship. David Rosenthal has only recently gotten rid of the whole Christopher and Lorelai plot and returned to a development of a Luke and Lorelai relationship. In my opinion and in the opinion of many at Television Without Pity, the last few episodes have been much better than the beginning of this season and season 6.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Perhaps. It's hard to know without knowing how ASP we're going to wrap things up. But, yes, season 6 wasn't good.

It's too bad that networks try and squeeze as much blood as possible out of a show. GG probably would have worked best as an 100-episode (or so) series.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Drat. After spending a whole 6th season with talks about new daughter and Luke-Lorelai getting or not getting married we finally got a season worth watching. And the show gets canceled.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with RRR, I've enjoyed this season far more than last season. Sad that it's ending, but it had a good run. Knowing that it's ending though makes me feel less certain about what's going to happen though. Now there's no reason for Rory to need to stay in the Northeast. My hope is that it ends like a Shakespeare comedy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad, since Alexis Bledel wasn't willing to do another season and it would have been useless without her.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I was praying that the talks would work out. Even for a shortened half-season. It would have been perfect. Not too long to drag things out but plenty of time to end things properly.

I can't imagine how everything is going to be tied up by the end of the season. Tying up Rory's side of things...imaginable given Logan's San Francisco plans. Though unfortunately, I stopped caring about this half of the Gilmore power-duo awhile ago. I watched the pilot on tv today and mourned for the Rory I once loved and admired.

Really, its all about the Luke/Lorelei drama. I'm pretty sure we know how its all going to end, but I want it to get to that conclusion in beautiful and classic GG fashion. I'll be seriously disappointed if they force it or pull any last minute stunts. But saying this I realize that there's only two episodes left. That is NOT enough!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Yeah, Shanna, that was my thought too-- only 2 shows makes it nearly impossible finish the series gracefully. The writers will really have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to wrap it up with any real sense of completion.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the show -- thought the plots themselves were usually pretty dumb, but loved the characters and the dialogue. Only got partway through the second season though, just not watching much TV lately, so dunno when I'll get around to seeing more... curiosity question = did Paris ever come out??
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Come out how? Like, out of the closet?!?

No. haha.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
Yeah, Shanna, that was my thought too-- only 2 shows makes it nearly impossible finish the series gracefully. The writers will really have to pull a rabbit out of a hat to wrap it up with any real sense of completion.
I don't know. Rory graduating and both of them getting engaged/married seems like a fitting end. Rory could believably get engaged in that time, and I think it would be appropriate if Luke & Lorelei rushed things. In fact, I would find it somewhat unbelievable if they didn't.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

True, Rory is graduating so that helps.

But Lauren Graham has said recently she thinks the show shouldn't end with a marriage. Sorry, no linkage. Anyway, ending with with a marriage is too trite and mawkish--I hope they don't do it. I remember the ending of Roswell--that's the only bride I've ever seen with an exposed midriff. [Embarrassed]

I guess "nearly impossible" is overstating it. I just feel for the writers trying to provide a fitting coda for a series on such short notice after contract talks collapsed, and with only two shows to do it.

Maybe they had an inkling the negotiations wouldn't go well, so they started the subplot of Logan moving to Cali and asking Lorilei for Rory's hand. If Rory got engaged and moved, and Lorilei and Luke got back together (without eloping) that could work as completion for a show about a mother who's best friends with her daughter.

[ May 05, 2007, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
Anyway, ending with with a marriage is too trite and mawkish--I hope they don't do it. I remember the ending of Roswell--that's the only bride I've ever seen with an exposed midriff.
Ah, Roswell's ending is one of my favorite endings to a series. [Razz] But, yes, I could see how trite would work far better for Roswell than for Gilmore Girls.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Rory is getting engaged. She just told Paris that she wouldn't put her career on hold for Logan, so unless nothing comes up for her or she gets a job in San Francisco, she isn't going to CA with Logan.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

It seems like she'd be just as likely to get a job in the San Francisco area as she would in the Hartford area. Without the New York Times internship, location doesn't seem revelant to her career. She still might not get engaged, but I don't see her career holding her back.
katharina
Member # 827

It isn't just Hartford vs. San Fran, because there's no next season and it WOULD be contrived to keep her right next to her mother. It's SF vs. the rest of the United States, and I'm guessing she'll get something somewhere in the rest of the United States.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to get into gilmore girls but I was always turned off with howartificiallyfasttheyalwaystalkedallofthetimealways
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I never thought they talked any faster than any of my friends or myself.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen Lauren Graham on multiple talk shows, and she talks at the same speed on those that she does as Lorelai.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The talking is actually very artificially fast. They don't have any of the timing spaces that you normally have when two people are talking to each other.

It is actually done on purpose: an extremely fast moving dialogue allows for more to get crammed into the hour. IMDB:

quote:
Due to the fast pace speech in the show, the average script for an episode of the show runs 75-80 pages, as opposed to 45-50 for a standard hour-long television show.
They talk really really really really really fast.

It drove me nuts.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

And yet you can walk into any high school anywhere and find two girls talking just as fast with similar spacing. And you could the year before GG started, and before that.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

[Smile]
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
[Smile]

Indeed. I didn't think they'll manage a decent finish, what with the talk about this being or not being the series finale, but they did a good job. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yeah. [Smile] I think the show runner figured this was the end. It was a very nice wrap up, and I LOVED the ending shot. It wasn't very funny, but that's the only complaint. I think it covered everything, and I even enjoyed the Luke and Lorelai reunion. [Smile]
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I missed most of it. What exactly is Rory doing and how did she leave her status with Logan?
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Rory is working for an online magazine as their correspondent on Barack Obama's campaign. She told Logan that she didn't want to get married right then and Logan said that was it.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Thanks, Amanecer.

That's a bit of a let down. There hasn't been much of anything to suggest that Logan would insist on marriage [well, he has been a bit volatile, but it's been a bit contrived, imo] or that Rory would settle for a non-name brand media outlet (even if she gets to cover Obaman's campaign).

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

She had already been working for this online magazine, just writing short articles, and they offered her this job when she asked for a reccomendation.

I was happy enough with the ending.

Morbo
Member # 5309

The finale was pretty good. The party was nice.

My favorite part was when Lorilei's dad said the party was really a tribute to her, and how she made a great home and raised a great daughter.

Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
The finale was pretty good. The party was nice.

My favorite part was when Lorilei's dad said the party was really a tribute to her, and how she made a great home and raised a great daughter.

Yeah, I thought the interaction with both parents went really well. Of course, Emily being Emily, she has to go about it the wrong way, but the feelings were there. [Big Grin]
Morbo
Member # 5309

Yeah, Emily's machinations are straight out of Macchevelli. Would it really have killed her to say, "Lorilei, I would like to keep seeing you for Friday night dinner after Rory is gone"?
Corwin
Member # 5705

Yes.

[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.