FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moving Options (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Moving Options
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading all of this, I'm kind of regretting owning furniture at all.

Of course, sleeping on a bed is much better than sleeping on a couch or a hardwood floor.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Since the subject has been broached, and mph seems to have a good handle on the various options:

Does anyone know of any other/cheaper options for getting a couple dozen medium boxes of clothes books etc across country? I moved from Chicago to LA a while back but left about 2/3 of my worldly goods back home because they couldn't fit in my car and none of the shipping options seemed reasonable.

About the only option that seemed appealing at the time was renting a little UHaul trailer (one of the rather small ones that can hook up to cars) but I couldn't find anyplace that had a trailer hitch that would work with my Malibu in time.

Everything else I saw seemed to be massive overkill (i.e. PODS, moving services etc all seemed like I would get at least the minimum charges ~$1000 even though it was a very small amount of goods)

I'm just very hesitant to pay $1000 to have what probably amounts to about that much in goods shipped (but a lot of it is personal stuff that I can't really replace) [Frown]

<curses to accepting my position without a relocation package [Frown] >

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Aren't there small U-hauls that are their own truck as well? Or am I thinking of something else?

Do you have a friend with a truck or something?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Grimace -- shipping by bus??

I haven't done this in a long time -- but we used to ship some boxes by Greyhound (someone at the other end would pick them up).

I don't know if that option has changed with all the new security measures...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
FG -- good point. In order to have the same amount of time to pack and upack as with UPACK, I'd have to pay $80 more for UHAUL.

There's also the insurance, which is an additional $70.

That means I'd save $850 with UHAUL.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
I moved from Chicago to LA

That is IT. We really need to have another SoCal get-together! It has been way too long anyway, but new locals I haven't met? [No No]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I shipped some stuff by Greyhound 3 years ago when I moved home from Montana, and it was far and away the cheapest, easiest way to get bulky stuff from one place to the next.

Which isn't to imply that it was cheap or easy -- it wasn't. I think I figured it out at around a dollar a pound for greyhound, cross-country. And pack in sturdy boxes, because they're not gentle with that stuff.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, I'll have to look into Greyhound shipping, I hadn't even considered it.

pH, unfortunately I don't know anyone with a truck that is hankering for a 2-4 day drive from Chicago to LA =/

Rivka, I'm sure that an LA get-together would be fun and I'll keep an eye out for a veteran such as yourself to get it started =p

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't the last time one was discussed, but I just realized why! You are probably unaware that "shinda" is local slang for Hatrack get-together. Next time you see a thread with that in the title, you'll know. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
pH, unfortunately I don't know anyone with a truck that is hankering for a 2-4 day drive from Chicago to LA =/

You're framing it the wrong way! Find a friend in LA and say, "Let's take a road trip! It'll be so much fun!"

Then drive with him from LA to Chicago, pick up your things, and drive back. Justify it as a fun vacation by spending one night in some fun, on-the-way place.

-pH

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Greyhound may (or may not) still move boxes without you being present on the bus.

Other options include sending them by train (but I think you do have to be present throughout for this) and through a service like UPS (using the cheapest rate, I think it was "book rate").

Let us know what you find out.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, in case that wasn't clear from my post above -- I wasn't on the bus that my boxes were on. So, ime, they will ship them without you being there.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Greyhound Shipping Link (FYI)

[Smile]

---

Edited to add: I don't know the policies -- requires a login to an account you start up, I think. Just thought the link itself might help.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I had something shipped via Greyhound in 2003, it worked fine.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Interstellar
Member # 14611

- posted      Profile for Interstellar           Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely lean towards hiring movers if it's that far. Sure it can be more expensive than doing it yourself, but I think it's worthy it if you're looking at more than a couple of hours. Keep in mind that it takes longer to drive a moving truck than a car so a trip that far may be two days, involve staying a hotel for one night, eating out while you do, etc. There's a lot of costs that can add up, not to mention time away from work. I've used this service before and would recommend them https://threemenandatruck.net/moving-storage-containers/ - it's kind of the best of both worlds if you can pack everything yourself and just have the movers do the driving.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Interstellar
Member # 14611

- posted      Profile for Interstellar           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I didn't realize this was such an old post. NM
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.