FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Accusations Against Rev. Ted Haggard (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Accusations Against Rev. Ted Haggard
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the sinner, hate the sin, in a whole different context.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can have excellent gaydar . . . neeenooooneeeenoooneeneeneeneenee! (This is the sound of gaydar in my head.) I am strong in the gaydar. I don't think I will accidently marry a gay man. However, bisexual people set it off too, so sometimes I am pleasantly surprised by hot Fosse dancers coming on to me, when I was sure they had a crush on my boyfriend . . . which they actually do . . . yes.

Mmm. Fosse. Jazz hands!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep talking Samarkand-- the more you say, the better I like you. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to take a somewhat contrary position here. The man has set himself up as a leader of a community, and preached a message of intolerance against a lifestyle he was secretly engaged in. While I can feel sympathy for how tough this might have made his life, and how much of an internal struggle he may have suffered with, it is not very impressive to me in the grand scheme of things. It is a problem of his own making, for the most part, and rather than deal with it, he projected it onto other people and actively worked to prolong the misery and suffering of others.

In the process, he actively lied and misled his congregation, and parlayed their good faith into a position of even greater power (the weekly confabs with the President didn't just happen because he had a pretty smile).

I hope something good comes of this, but the likeliest scenario is not so good.

Re: Mega-churches, I just learned that the one in our local area does not serve the poor. When someone comes to that church looking for food, they refer them to our much smaller church. I was told that's fairly typical behavior for Evangelical "Christian" mega-churches.

Yuck.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob: LOTS of gay people are VERY homophobic before they learn to accept themselves.

Especially if they've grown up very religious in a red state.

Granted, few take it as far as Mr Haggard.

I would be interested to see what he's made of his life in a couple of years. What he's managed to salvage and how far he's come as far as self acceptance.

He could be a prodigal son for our little Rainbow family. Or he might slip farther into self hatred and be even more venomous toward the people he should be embracing.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.