FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » General Sax... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: General Sax...
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
So is General Sax an alt for BC? They have similar views and posting style.

If not, whatever happened to BC? Did Tom or Bob run him off?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Those pesky academics got rid of BC and replaced him with BCE.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think BC went off to Iraq.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what he said, but once he got there, it didn't stop him from posting for a time.

Soldiers still have the internet. Some of them, some of the time.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Nope. Those pesky academics got rid of BC and replaced him with BCE.

Ha ha ha!!!!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
I think BC went off to Iraq.

Maybe he got promoted to General and plays the sax.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I assume this is some personal attack thread from Bob, he seems to define himself as some sort of liberal attack robot for the list. I will not define myself as his adversary, I am not going to read this thread, nor do I intend to allow Bob try to pidgeon hole me and run me off with his barking.
Oh, dear. Listen here, Private Sax (yes, I've demoted you) -- I'm maybe the least partisan person here (I hate the system in general, and think both parties are mainly staffed with people who'd have trouble naming the three branches of government) and I find your posts tiresome, reactionary, and generally way off the mark. And let me assure you it has nothing to do with their content. Rather, it's the general tone you use to address people* that makes me hope that the internet fairy will come in the night and take away your cable modem.

Everything's not just black and white, y'know. The world's a far more complicated and interesting place than that.

*yes, people. They might just be screennames to you, but behind almost all of them is a real person -- a person who deserves at least as much courtesy as they've shown you.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Everything's not just black and white
INCONCEIVABLE
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've got a question....

Why do the mods have to be tolerant of repeated behavior that causes threads to be deleted? Why can't they ban the poster that causes the problems? Why close the thread, when the offending poster's posts can be deleted or edited? You see, I haven't really noticed that General Sax exists, because I don't really frequent many political threads, but it seems to me that, if he's really that disruptive and breaking the TOS, that he should be banned.

There will always be people like him. Why do they need to be tolerated? Is there not some sort of scale that could keep track of each offense, with ever-increasing consequences?

I could say why don't the other posters here just ignore the General Saxes of hatrack, but I know that will never work. There will always be *someone* who has to respond. So that just brings me back to the moderators, and why they don't just ban him?

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I like about Hatrack is that they don' "just ban" people all the time. I can't remember the last time someone got banned, and I have never known about a ban that wasn't deserved....or at least one that the person wasn't warned about before it happened.

Most web sites are not as tolerant, but that is part of the reason I don't frequent most other web sites.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to point out that I found the exchange between rivka and Shigosei on the previous page very amusing [Smile] .

Not quite as laugh out loud funny as the post by General Sax, but you know [Wink] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I would not ignore General Sax any sooner than I would have ignored Bean Counter.

But not for the anticipated reasons! I think they're too much fun.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Everything's not just black and white
INCONCEIVABLE
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just excited that we have our very own attack robot. I was going to ask for one for Christmas!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
I just wanted to point out that I found the exchange between rivka and Shigosei on the previous page very amusing [Smile] .

Not quite as laugh out loud funny as the post by General Sax, but you know [Wink] .

*bows*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Shigosei was cracking me up at the top of this page too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
[Wave]
[Hat]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Katarain,
The de facto policy of Hatrack seems to be to give people every opportunity to learn to play nice or go away on their own before actually banning them. I kind of appreciate that, know if I ever go over the line, I'll at least be warned before being shut out.

As for deleting posts rather than locking, well, that would be an admin nightmare. Hatrack moves too quickly sometimes. Far better (IMO) to lock the thread and give people some time to cool off rather than to jump in and take sides (possibly without having time to judge context and culpability) and perhaps make the whole situation worse. I would have no problem with a feature preventing deletion of the initial post. (Note, I'd still like the power to modify my initial posts, but if I don't like a thread, I can make the first post blank and blank out the title, and/or I can ask to have it locked or removed.)

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you, but I think that may be beyond the scope of mod powers.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.