FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LCD, DLP, Plasma....help me decide what to buy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LCD, DLP, Plasma....help me decide what to buy
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ProteinFolding ain't rippin' apart anybody's console to allow their general purpose computers to connect with and use the more specialized functions of PS3.
What needs to occur for a home computer to do the same is for peripheral hard/firm/software manufacturers to do nearly the same to provide the linkages to home users interested in CGI work.

All this would do is make system memory the second most painful limiting factor, behind network transfer rate.

There's a big difference between video editing and computer animation. I don't think home users have the slightest interest in the latter, and having a PS3 on your local network won't make a whit of difference for the former.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
apectre, I could see it too, but I just don't see it's significance. Most people don't want to create stuff with CGI tools in their house, whether we're talking PS3, PC, or SGI. Not until it becomes substantially easier, and even then there is artistry involved, and not everyone can be an artist (like me, for example).

I could the distributed computational stuff having greater footprint, since it's easy to distribute (download from the online store) and run (I'd assume it's a quick click), but if that's the only reason a regular person is buying a PS3 then I've got to wonder how we all got so altruistic all of a sudden.

And interestingly, your metaverse rhetoric outlines the difference between the Wii and PS3 philosophies as you apparently see them (with XBox360 straddling the gap, which honestly may be the smartest strategy): One wants you to have fun viscerally in this universe, the other wants you to go somewhere else. I think there is potentially a larger market for the former than the latter, but grabbing that larger market will be tough for any company, and I'm not convinced Nintendo can pull it off. Though I have to admit that they're doing a very smart job of it so far, as far as marketing goes.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

We appear to have thoroughly derailed this thread with our console chatter. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
twinky, I like your analyses of the computer/gaming market very much, even when I think you're wrong and then realize that you're probably right with respect to the timeframe after betting you a coke. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I follow this stuff because I'm interested in it, and in learning about it, even in the case of architectures that I have no current plans to own (e.g. PS3, AMD's 4x4). I've been accused of fanboyism (specifically, by Tom, "Apple cheerleading") in the past, but the real motivating factor for me is that I enjoy discussing this stuff. It's not like I haven't been wrong before -- I argued that Apple wouldn't switch to Intel because the transition would be too painful, and yet Apple's marketshare is at its highest point in years and still climbing.

In any case, I look forward to a future meeting, sweetened by the anticipation of probable Coke. [Big Grin]

Also, as an addendum to my top-of-page post, I don't think Second Life's scripting language is robust enough to support the kind of development aspectre suggests in his bottom-of-page post from page one.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I certainly don't mind derailment. [Smile]

We got a 54-inch DLP Toshiba and it's wonderful, so far. The picture is amazing and we're thrilled - and we haven't even gotten our upgraded HD service hooked up yet.

It feels like such an extravagance - we always said we'd wait to upgrade out TV and furniture until some bills were paid down and we could afford to pay cash for what we wanted, but now that we finally have...it feels weird. I'm so used to getting by that finally having something really nice in that room almost makes it seem as if it's not my house!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Belle!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Just wait until you get to see an HD image -- one football game and one nature documentary should do nicely. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.