FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Christmas movie appropriate for Mormon 20-somethings (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Christmas movie appropriate for Mormon 20-somethings
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll 5th or whatever, Elf. I personally like the new Grinch, but I've never seen the old one so I'm not comparing it to anything. I never thought of While You Were Sleeping as a Christmas movie but it is good.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
I don't see what everyone hates so much about it. Jim Carrey is over the top (of course), but I just love it! [Smile] It's a failing, I know.

Maybe because it reverses the original message of the story?

In the book (and animated Chuck Jones special), the story is about a bitter, selfish loner who has his heart softened by the love and joy of an unselfish, happy community.

In Howard's film, the Grinch is a misunderstood, mistreated victim. All of the Whos (except for Cindy Lou) are selfish jerks or materialistic idiots. He shames them into realizing how bad and greedy they are by taking their stuff away.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
True Story Puffy,

Today people just don't like villains who are evil just cuz, they had to have been wronged in someway so we empathize with their plight.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nellie Bly
Member # 9129

- posted      Profile for Nellie Bly   Email Nellie Bly         Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas in Connecticut. I watch it every year with my mom.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked While you were sleeping. Also, New York Doll contains a clip of Scrooged.

I was wondering "What Christmas movies wouldn't be appropriate?" But I guess people are thinking of some.

Gremlins was a Christmas movie [Razz]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Seuss's intention wasn't for people to empathize with the Grinch...at least, not until he had his epiphany.

Turning the Whos from good people who understand the true meaning of Christmas into vapid idiots and cruel bullies who forced the Grinch into his role doesn't provoke empathy in me. It provokes disgust at the disrespect shown towards the story of an author I respected and enjoyed.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Was about a boy already mentioned? I forget how bad the language is. You might want to check your finalists for content in the www.deseretnews.com movie review archive.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Driving Lessons is great. Not really all that Christmasy, but great.

Religion is a major theme. If it seems like the film is anti-religious, keep in mind that Ben's father (one of the most normal and likable people in the script, although too passive to be a great father) is also a Priest.

Oh, yeah, and the film has some underage drinking (Rupert Grint is 18, but his character is only 17). And sex is constantly alluded to, but in a chaste manner (if that makes sense.) Anyway, not what I would call gratuitous sex, no violence and little language. Rating PG-13.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta second whoever said "One Magic Christmas" -- a totally overlooked brilliant Christmas movie. I truely believe the Santa's workshop scenes were filmed in the real workshop at the North Pole.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the nature of the project has changed. It now needs to be something that lasts less than an hour. [Frown]

Hmm...maybe we'll do it two weeks in a row - candy tonight, and deocorations next week. [Smile]

Ideas for something that's less than hour? All I can think of it A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Mickey's Christmas Carol is only about 25 minutes and I believe that Muppet Family Christmas is around 45 minutes. Both of those are pretty good.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't see what everyone hates so much about it... I just love it! It's a failing, I know.
It sounds like you really do see it, but are in denial. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I loved Mickey's Christmas Carol! That's a good idea. [Smile]

Muppet Family Christmas is different from A Muppet Christmas Carol, right?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And sex is constantly alluded to, but in a chaste manner (if that makes sense.)
All the sex alluded to is within the confines of marriage? [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Muppet Family Christmas is when the Muppets go to Fozzy's mothers house. Fozzy's mom is planning to leave for a vacation and the guy from Fraggle Rock is house sitting with his dog Sprocket. The Sesame Street gang show up caroling and the Fraggles show up as well. Jim Henson makes an appearance in it as well.

link

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.