FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Crying in movies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Crying in movies
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
I cry a lot in movies, (and yes, I cried, even to the extent of needing a tissue) during Click.

The movies that I have absolutely just boo-hooed during were Life is Beautiful and Charly (an adaptation of an LDS fiction book). Steel Magnolias is a given.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity...God, that was horrible.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Life is Beautiful

I'm with you on that Daisy. I cried SO much in that movie.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
There's another nice country song about parenting a daughter out right now that gets me--not that Tim McGraw one, though. I can't think of what it is. Something about the father reminding the daughters' suitor that he loved her first.
quote:
One song that's sweet is this country song where this guy got his girlfriend pregnant and he says, "There goes my life, there goes my future."
Then his daughter's grown up and driving off to college and he says it again.

I like both those songs. [Smile]

Me too. And I love "Cat's In the Cradle" (have for decades), and even "Butterfly Kisses." And they all make me cry.

So does "Me and Emily" (which has the distinction of being the song that caused me to discover that I actually could drive with tears streaming down my face).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I cried my butt off this weekend when I saw Charlotte's Web. Thankfully there were only a few other people in the theater.

When I saw philadelphia, everyone in the theater was balling their eyes out. It was very uncomfortable.

One movie that always makes me cry is A League of Their Own. At the end when the two sisters meet up in the hall of fame, it gets me every time.

I'm a sucker for emotional movies.

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
When I saw philadelphia, everyone in the theater was balling their eyes out. It was very uncomfortable.

o_O

I bet!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the crying and being angry about it at the same time. I hate knowing that I am being cheaply manipulated, but I cry anyway.

The first movie I remember formulating that thought with was A Walk to Remember (sobbed through the last half hour or so, though for reasons slightly different than the ones they intended, I think). I am actually still angry at the moviemakers over that one.

And most recently, The Notebook. I started uncontrollably sobbing when I realized what was going to happen and stopped about twenty minutes after the movie was over. (At least Tzadik was in it with me on that one [Smile] )

Basically I just hate Nicholas Sparks, I guess.

edit: and now having spent a few minutes looking at his site to verify the above titles, I dislike him even more. Stupid site. *cranky*

[ December 19, 2006, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Lissande ]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The last time bawled uncontrolably in a movie, it was...at the very end of Dead Poets Society. Not the 'sad' part (which I thought over-romanticized young adult angst and suicide) but the very end, which was supposed to be uplifting.

The hubby and I went to see it, when we were just dating. He said it was a relief to see my cry when it wasn't his fault. [Big Grin]

I'm generally not a weeper, I think.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
And I just laugh at "Seasons in the Sun."

Thing is, when I was a kid, there was a TV show... I used to think it was Room 222, but now I suspect it wasn't. There was a high school kid, and he got leukemia. Towards the end of the episode, he plays in a talent show at school, and sings this song. I think they designed the whole episode around it, girlfriend named Michelle, disapproving father, best friend...

The last scene was when they came into the classroom to let everyone out early because he'd died.

I was probably 10 years old or so when I saw it, and I'm hardwired to cry at the damned song now.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not much for crying in theaters, though I will admit to getting misty. When I'm at home and have my pillow and blanket to hide behind I tend to get a little more snivelly. I think Riding in Cars with Boys was my most recent 'cry movie' incident. That was actually pretty bad, I cried through pretty much the whole thing. I'm gonna blame it on hormones.

I'm not any better with books. I can't even -talk- about The Cat who went to Heaven without tearing up.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
I cry a lot at movies... which can be kind of embarrassing.

One thing that always gets me is when lots of people work together for the benefit of their friends or society. Like in "Moulin Rouge!" somehow the most moving part for me is not what happens in the end, but right before that when all the show folk work together to stop the evil guy.

In general movies dealing with friendship make me cry more than actual romantic ones. I actually just finished watching a Korean film called "3-Iron" and that's one of the rare romantic films that made me cry. The ending was just beautiful. (Also, "Parapluies de Cherbourg" always makes me cry... wonder if I should really confess that.)

In the BBC television adaptation of "Gormenghast" there is the scene when they come to tell the Countess that her daughter is dead. She hasn't shown any love to her daughter at any time during the show, and now a single tear falls to her cheek. Somehow so poignant and beautiful.

In "Mean Creek" when the kids go to the dead boy's mother to tell what happened.

In "Amélie" when the guy finds the box of his childhood.

The Cultural revolution scenes in "Farewell My Concubine".

In "Welcome to the Dollhouse" when the main character has to give the speech to her school and everybody starts booing and throwing stuff at her.

Hmm... These are just from the top of my mind. There are probably others.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, when I stop to think about it, it doesn't take much to bring me to the brink of tears. I'll only actually let myself break down if there's no one around, and then it's usually like only a tear or two before I get a grip on myself. And it's usually tears of joy that do it for me... not sadness. The only movie I can think of off the top of my head that gets me with sadness is The Land Before Time.

For bringing me to the brink, usually happy moments:

October Sky -- when he reconciles with his dad and then the ending.
Cool Runnings -- when they finish the race at the end.
Buffy Season 6 -- end of the last episode. You know which part I'm talking about if you've seen it.
Battlestar Galactica -- Home, when Dee finally convinces him to reunite the fleet.

Serenity didn't make me cry, it just left me really upset and in shock.

[ December 19, 2006, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I went into The Pursuit of Happyness yesterday fully expecting to cry, but I didn't at all. It was sad but good. I actually usually cry in animal movies like Black Beauty, Old Yeller, and Where the Red Fern Grows.
I might have cried the first time I watched Serenity but I saw Firefly afterwards so it lost some of the affect. I have some friends who litteraly sobbed during the end, but I thought it was a pretty happy satisfying ending. [Dont Know]

Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot how My Big Fat Greek Wedding made me get all weepy because

spoiler

They bought her a house! And the two families came to love each other. It was so sweet! [Cry]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I cry at the end of Raising Arizona. The banner that says "Welcome Home" triggers it everytime.

And Whale Rider, when she gives her speech for her grandfather but he's not there.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely cry during movies, and I never cry in movie theatres (they're too public). However, my eyes watered the point of needing to wipe tears away the other night as I watched The Holiday.

Now that is embarrassing. Geez.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I cry in movies a lot.

But the last thing that has made me bawl, in a big gulping sobs and tears and snot kind of way was the last episode of Angel .

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I cry all the time in movies. I can't list them. I cry when I read books to, which makes it hard to continue reading.

Whenever I reread 'Where the REd Fern Grows', I stop after the big contest.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anshi
Member # 9643

- posted      Profile for Anshi   Email Anshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I hate crying in theaters, I never prepare for it. Which is stupid and gross, because when those inevitable moments come, I end up with a drippy nose and tears running (silently) down my cheeks with no tissue in sight. My friends never say anything, but I'm sure they don't miss the hem to face movement(s), no matter how surreptiously I try to hide it/them. Darn those mini-ninja skills!

Of course, if I'm at home, all bets are off and I'm a total waterspout. A few weeks back when watching a J-drama called "Attack No.1", I cried about 2-3 times...per each of the 11 episodes. *hangs head in shame* Darn that hurt.

Grave of the Fireflies still ranks in my top 5 of seriously heart-rending movies. Depression gripped me for 2 days after. (Of course, it didn't help that I'd watch Royal Space Force Honneamise right before and so fell from an incredible highs to the plummeting depths of a dark, dark pit.)

>_>;

Posts: 32 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan2006:
I cry all the time in movies. I can't list them. I cry when I read books to, which makes it hard to continue reading.

Whenever I reread 'Where the REd Fern Grows', I stop after the big contest.

If I ever read that book again, I will do that.
I HATE BOOKS WHERE THEY KILL OFF THE DOG OR HORSE OR WHATEVER AS A SYMBOL OF A BOY OR A GIRL GROWING UP!
Why do they do that? It's unbearable. Can't they grow up without losing their beloved pet, and certainly not like that! That was such a cruel way for the dogs to go and what the parents said about it. [Mad]
If I have kids, I hope I don't say something like that when they lose their pet >< *Growl*
Also, when I read Wise Child I stop before the last chapter.
The last few chapters make me angry.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Only two movies have even made me teary. A Walk To Remember did it in spite of myself, even though that's about as irredeemable of a chick-flick as there is. Then there was the scene in Return of the King where Sam starts carrying Frodo up the mountain. Other than that, I'm a fairly good stoneface. I'm a believer in the 'real men don't cry. Much, anyway' philosophy.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I am a sap
I just got all wet eyed at the end of all dogs go to heaven...
soooooo sappy.

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I cried today! I has never seen Miracle on 34th street and didn't expect anything but a cute holiday show but when the little dutch girl sits on Santa's lap and he start speaking to her in her language the look on her face just had me burst into tears. My Hubby laughs at me. I cry EVERY SINGLE TIME at ST:TNG "Inner Light", Steel Magnolias, the very end of 50 First Dates, and I can't watch What Dreams May Come anymore. When we saw it in the theatre, we came out and our shirts were wet from the tears. Oh an A.I., can't do that one again either. Anything with kids kills me and it's worse now being a Mommy. I put everything in the contexts of Leslie and I lose it!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.