FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter Book 7 Title Revealed!!!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Harry Potter Book 7 Title Revealed!!!!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Could somebody explain to me what do you think they mean by "hallows?"

As in ghosts?

Sounds to me like Harry is finding out the nature of the spirit world and that has LOADS of possibilities for a story arc. The nature of death in the Harry Potter universe has always been a question that I was sure Rowling would not leave up in the air.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the title isn't any more awkward than "Half-Blood Prince." Not what I was expecting but I could care less about the title as long as the book is good...wait, not good...after this wait I'm hoping it will be amazing. Can't let my expectation get too high though.

I will be more disappointed if its not released 07/07/07. Its perfect. If they can release it earlier, that would be better but otherwise its just too good to pass up!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. S -

He talked about it in the collected Letters of JRR Tolkien.

Tolkien also preferred the title War of the Ring for the last book, but he preferred Return of the King to many of the other options given to him by the publisher. He didn't hate it, he just didn't think it was the best name possible.

Also, the article on the Two Towers on Wiki is at least partially wrong. Of the five towers listed, two are the same. Cirith Ungol is a tower IN Minas Morgul. They aren't separate.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Puffy, I tried clicking on your link, but it didn't work for me. I really want to know how to get in the door so that i can see it for myself, but I don't know how. Can someone help me out?

And personally, I think this title is lame!

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The Comingsoon.net site seems to have gone down. [Frown]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Dr. S -

He talked about it in the collected Letters of JRR Tolkien.

Tolkien also preferred the title War of the Ring for the last book, but he preferred Return of the King to many of the other options given to him by the publisher. He didn't hate it, he just didn't think it was the best name possible.

Also, the article on the Two Towers on Wiki is at least partially wrong. Of the five towers listed, two are the same. Cirith Ungol is a tower IN Minas Morgul. They aren't separate.

From what I remember Tolkien thought the title, "Return of The King" gave away far too much of the plot and made it anticlimactic.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a perfectly fine name. July 7th really would be the perfect day for it to come out... I'm doing a study abroad program in Greece and Italy next summer and it ends the 6th!
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was going to be "Harry Potter and The Death of The Person Who Shall Not Be Named, But Not *That* Person Who Shall Not Be Named."
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
IIRC, Cirth Ungol is a tower inside Morder - just inside the entrance of Shelob's lair. It wasn't in the Morgul vale.

Edit: BTW, Minas Tirath and Barad Dur are only mentioned in the book - no POV characters are ever there.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Apologies, the Tower of Cirith Ungol isn't IN Minas Morgul, it's right above Minas Morgul. It's closer than any other of the major towers to another tower by leaps and bounds.

Minas Tirith makes no sense as one of the towers mentioned in the title, but I can see how people tend to think Barad Dur is one, as is mentioned in the movie (when Christopher Lee says no one can stop the Union of the Two Towers, referring to Barad-Dur and Orthanc). Barad-Dur is never a place where a POV character is, but it's the seat of Sauron, so whether or not they are there is irrelevent, it's still a major force to be reckoned with.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Evie: if by any chance you still have not seen the directions, here is a link to Leaky, and here is a link to Mugglenet, both of which have instructions up. Mugglenet also has a video showing how to do it, step by step.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Could somebody explain to me what do you think they mean by "hallows?"

As in ghosts?

Sounds to me like Harry is finding out the nature of the spirit world and that has LOADS of possibilities for a story arc. The nature of death in the Harry Potter universe has always been a question that I was sure Rowling would not leave up in the air.

I think it's all about the tons of people who are going to die. "Hallows" in this sense strikes me as a very, which means something is being hallowed, and apparently through death.

Might be a reference to the body count in this book.

Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
OK Puffy, you're probably tired of these questions, but you're figured how to get past the door! I've been following your instructions and clicking on everything in the room with no luck. Am I retarded or is the game down? It'll let me pick up the red and green bottles of potion, and turn the light on and off. That's it. Any suggestions?
Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
The door is now closed, and has been for a couple of weeks. If you didn't access it before the Do Not Disturb sign went back on the door it's too late. Sorry. [Frown]
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlt
Member # 10088

- posted      Profile for jlt   Email jlt         Edit/Delete Post 
you're a bit behind the times, it is HP and the Deathy Hallows, there is no release date, for massive amounts of speculation all ready going on- see mugglenet.com
Posts: 130 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

For the book? The release date is 7/7/07.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
For the book? The release date is 7/7/07.

Link please? I hadn't seen the confirmation.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Apologies. I just went looking, and it appears what I thought was a confirmation was just a guess by someone.

Still...it makes a hell of a lot of sense for it to be that date. From what I've read, the book is more or less done. The date is just plain cool, and the book and movie reinforce each other, and don't steal each other's thunder, as I've seen some speculate.

My bad.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there is no actual confirmation that the book will be coming out on 7/7/07. It would be amazing. But still, for the last book, the date of the book was already released by this time. Which means that there is no knowing when the book will be coming out. Still, as a rule, it has to come out during the summer. How else will they be able to get millions of kids out to a midnight opening? If it's on a school night, parents just won't allow it. It makes more sense if it's in the summer, and 7/7/07 would just make it cool.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It's also always been on a Saturday. Of which 7/7/07 is.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.