FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love you! You're beautiful! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I love you! You're beautiful!
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
Hebrew: Ani Ohev Otach! At Yafa Meod!

This is in the form of a male talking to a female

But for a female talking to a male, it's Ani Ohevet Ot'cha! Ata yefei-feh!

(Though personally, I'd go with Ani Ohevet Otach! At Yefeifiah!)

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Mi ami vi. Vi bela.

I'm pretty sure that's how you'd say it in Esperanto.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm correcting babelfish's Italian:

quote:
Italian: Ti amo. Siete bei
should be:

Ti amo. Sei bella! ('bello' if you're speaking to a male.)

Or

Ti voglio bene! Sei carina!

I add the second because the verb 'amare' is used to connotate a very strong emotion-- you don't usually hear it expressed except between people who already have a relationship. And 'carina' connotates 'cute' or 'dear' or 'precious' rather than beautiful.

BTW, 'voglio' sounds like vo-lee-oh. The 'gl' sound in Italian is produced by stretching the back of your tongue against the molars, and blowing around the sides of it-- like the 'll' in 'million.' Sort of.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Iway ovelay ouyay! Ouyay areway eautifulbay!

I think that's the pig latin translation.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Klingon: qamuSHa' bI'IH
(Lit. "I do not detest you. You are beautiful.")
(Pronounced roughly as "kahMOOzcha BLIH-ICH.")

Note that Mark Okrand, whom I consider semi-authoritative on this point, observes that the word "parmaq" for "love" as a noun is now canon, thanks to an episode of DS9, but says he strongly objects to the idea of "love" as a verb for Klingons (and would have objected to the noun if they'd asked him). The Klingon noun for "object of my affection" or "person I love" is "bang;" unfortunately, while "you are the person I love" is therefore a valid construction, it's also not quite what we're looking for here. You might be able to say "I feel love for you," except that there is no Klingon word for "feel" in the sense of feeling an emotion.

[ January 23, 2007, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, be honest. How many of you really gave us translations of "Your mother's fat! And ugly!"?
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll never know until you try...
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: Wouldn't it be Mi ami vin. Vi estas bela?

The vi is the object, so doesn't it need an "n"? and don't you need the verb in the second sentance?

I really don't know. My esperanto is really awful.

Kojabu: That was in ththla. I needed a language for magic in my comic. So I figured I would make it something that sounded really nice to my ears.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Klingon: qamuSHa' bI'IH
(Lit. "I do not detest you. You are beautiful.")
(Pronounced roughly as "kahMOOzcha BLIH-ICH.")

Why does everything in Klingon sound like a violent ugly sneeze.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sibyl
Member # 10079

- posted      Profile for Sibyl   Email Sibyl         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be silly! I'm your other end!
Posts: 69 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Chinese made it to the second page? I must be in the minority here then, and on the teeny weeny minority as a Chinese Canadian.

In any case, I give you two more (sorta...its a long story) translations.

Mandarin (took a course):
Characters: 我爱你. 你很漂亮.
Pinyin: wo3 ai4 ni3. ni3 hen3 piao4 liang4.
As a bit of background Mandarin uses five tones (well, four tones and one lack of tone). (1=constant, 2=rising, 3=down-then-up, 4=diving 5=none)

Cantonese (mother tongue, never learned formally):
Sounds like: O oi lei. Lei hou len.
(Never saw a standard Cantonese pinyin and the number of tones seems to change depending on who you ask, sigh)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Tá grá agam duit. Ta tú álainn. Gaelic

(The first is right - though the Irish have zillions of ways to express affection and tend to be somewhat more poetic about it - "Tá mo chroí istigh ionat" for example, means "My heart is within you." The second could be wrong. It is possible that "beautiful should be one of the "you have" constructions rather than a "you are" construction and I just don't have enough grammar to know it.)

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You could say "you have my heart" or "my heart is inside you" in Klingon, now that I think about it. Although if you left off the suffix that indicates a metaphor, it would be meant literally. *grin*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

With Irish, nothing is meant to be taken literally.

[ January 23, 2007, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Romanian: te iubesc! Tu esti frumos/frumoasa!

Tay youbesk! Too yesht froomose / froo-mwa-suh

You use frumos if the person is male; frumoasa if female.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Lisa: Wouldn't it be Mi ami vin. Vi estas bela?

The vi is the object, so doesn't it need an "n"? and don't you need the verb in the second sentance?

I really don't know. My esperanto is really awful.

You may be right. Mine's awfuler.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:

How is that pronounced, though?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm wrong too, now that I think about it. "ami" is the infinitive. it should be "amas."

Mi amas vin. vi estas bela.

If I had infinate time, I would study Esperanto again... (and japanese.. and spanish... and if I could only retain it all!)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Wow, Chinese made it to the second page? I must be in the minority here then, and on the teeny weeny minority as a Chinese Canadian.

In any case, I give you two more (sorta...its a long story) translations.

Mandarin (took a course):
Characters: 我爱你. 你很漂亮.
Pinyin: wo3 ai4 ni3. ni3 hen3 piao4 liang4.
As a bit of background Mandarin uses five tones (well, four tones and one lack of tone). (1=constant, 2=rising, 3=down-then-up, 4=diving 5=none)

Cantonese (mother tongue, never learned formally):
Sounds like: O oi lei. Lei hou len.
(Never saw a standard Cantonese pinyin and the number of tones seems to change depending on who you ask, sigh)

Your version works but "Piao Liang" at least for me denotes more of a, "pretty" feeling, rather then a literally, "beautiful." But people do use it to describe things as "beautiful."

"Mei3 Li4" has more of a beautiful flavor.

so,
"Wo3 Ai4 Ni3! Ni3 hen2 mei3 li4!"
For a slight anglo pronounciation guide.

Wo= Waw (aw as in the word "law")
Ai= as in "Ai Yai Yai Yai Ya!"
Ni= as in "knee"
Hen= as in "Atilla the (Hun)"
Mei= as in "May flowers"
Li= as in "Bruce Lee"

If you want to use Piao Liang, go ahead, I don't want to sound like an elitist. Heres is a pronounciation guide for it.

Piao= say, "PeeOW" and naturally flow from the Pee to the Ow.
Liang= Li="Lee" Ang= the "ong" sound in "wrong"

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:

How is that pronounced, though?
Hmmm...my pronounciation is not good.

Tah (g)hrah ahgum dwit. Tah too ah layn.

Sort of. Gra has a very back of the throat thing going on. Almost like a voiced version of the Hebrew sound ch. D is a bit softer - towards a j sound. Ui is "ih" with a hint of the U in front. Agam the accent is on the first syllable.

Roughly.

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
more detail on Russian:

Я люблю вас. Вы красивейши.
ya lyublyu' vas. vui(vy) krasivejshi.
Вы/вас are formal you. and it works for male and female. I'm not sure what красивейши means exactly but it sounds close enough to the version I learned.

informal you (to male)
Я тебя люблю. Ты красивый.
ya tebya' lyublyu'. tui(ty) krasi'vyj.
I put the apostrophe after each stressed syllable.

informal you (to female)
Я люблю тебя. Ты красивая.
ya lyublyu' tebya'. tui(ty) krasi'vaya.
I switched the 'love' and 'you' around between the male and female versions. Both work in Russian.

and
Ты красавица.
tui(ty) krasa'vitsa.
means 'You're a beauty.' (to female)

I second Mucus on the Wow, Chinese on the second page. Mandarin looks to be in good order. piao liang is the first thing that came to mind for me, but mei li sounds good too. I'm not a native Mandarin speaker.

Cantonese:
我愛你. 你好靚.
ngo5 oi3/ngoi3 nei5. nei5 hou2/hou3 leng3.
Romanization from the jyutping system, found at http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk Jyutping seems to be the most widespread system at this point.

In my experience, the 'n' in 'nei' for 'you' is interchangeable with 'l'. So both 'lei' and 'nei'
are acceptable.

Also, I don't know if anyone would really say 你好靚. It's a perfectly valid sentence, but sounds a little kid-y. What do you think? I know, I'll ask my family.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
Iway ovelay ouyay! Ouyay areway eautifulbay!

Grr, you stole mine.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

[Razz]

[Wink]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

BlackBlade: Not a native Mandarin OR Cantonese speaker although technically I did learn some Cantonese before hitting the English (+ a little French) Canadian school system.

As for "Mei3 Li4", from my sketchy rememberings, I think you're right. That it is more commonly used although I learned the other one first. I also seem to recall that "Mei3 Li4" often gets shortened to "Mei3" though.

esl: No idea, I just tried to work it out as a guess since no one else had done it yet. I'm sure there's a better translation and I await yours. [Smile]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said before Mucus, your sentence works just fine. Dictionary says Piao Liang means beautiful, I was speaking from experience.

If I met a girl and said either piao liang or mei li it would probably have the same effect, she'd get uncomfortable with my forwardness and would take off [Big Grin]

I could complicate the sentence with something like "My feelings for you are purely love, you are the definition of beautiful." But that does not really do any good does it? [Wink]

Mei Li would be the only suggestion I have. But its not that big a deal.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told my father-in-law can probably settle the hindi thing, now i just have to find a way to get him to look at this thread. [Dont Know]

Also, does anyone know which form of chinese they use in Firefly? <wonders how Kaylee would say this>

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

IIRC, according to the book Finding Serenity, Joss Whedon originally wanted Cantonese due to the parallel between the Cantonese diaspora and the people all leaving the Earth.
That said, there was a miscommunication and they translated everything in Mandarin and since he did not notice for a while, they kept it.
So the short answer is Mandarin.

That said, they mix it up every once in a while, the example that jumps out to my mind is the Cantonese life support warning in Out of Gas.

esl
Member # 3143

From what I remember, Firefly 'Chinese' was mostly Mandarin. It sounded sorta made-up to me though. I am due to rerun the series for my girlfriend. She hasn't seen it. So I'll make sure to pay attention.

Yeah, I remember the life support warning too. I was very happy with it.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Japanese: Ai shiteru! Bijin desu yo! (I think I have that right.)
I think "aishiteru" is correct, but nine times out of ten what I've seen used is "suki desu." I know it's really more "like" instead of "love" but I just can't think of a real situation where I've heard someone use "aishiteru".
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<amazed at the linguistic accomplishments of hatrackers>

<now wishes she could memorize all these>

=)

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

So I just asked my mom earlier today. And Tatiana conveniently bumps for me.

Mom agrees that 你好靚 nei5 hou2/hou3 leng3 does sound kinda childish, but could also be used between significant others. She actally specifically said male to female. Yeah, that makes sense because this version of pretty/beautiful doesn't usually apply to guys. Wait, it applies to guys when you add the word for guy after pretty. Then, it means 'good-looking guy'. But by itself it refers to females.
I still think the phrase sounds strange but I'm not as fluent as my mother.

Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:

I know it's really more "like" instead of "love" but I just can't think of a real situation where I've heard someone use "aishiteru".

It does get used. [Wink]
Sparingly, with the understanding that it carries all the implications of the word 'love.'

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Happy Valentine's Day!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Polish to female: Kocham cie, jestes sliczna

Polish to male: Kocham cie, jestes sliczny

Someone should make a list in a single post.

I agree with Lissande that informal is way more romantic. Can't really imagine saying something like Kocham Pana. Incidentally, you use informal in prayer, even if you address God as Lord.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I went though, and I think these are the final versions for what's listed. Did it in a bit of a hurry (have to get to class), so please correct me if I missed anything. I used the male->female versions if more than one was given.

English: I love you! You're beautiful!
Spanish: Te quiero! Eres muy linda!
Hindi: Mein tumse pyaar karti hoon. Tum bohut khoobsurat ho.
Gujurati: tu mahne bow gamu chu! tu bow sarus lagu chu!
German: Ich liebe dich! Du bist schoen!
French: Je t'aime, tu est belle!
Latin: Te amo. Tu es formosa.
Japanese: Ai shiteru! Bijin desu yo!
Portuguese: Eu te amo. Voce e linda.
Armenian: Kezi geh sirem! Tun keghetsig es!
Dutch: Ik hou van jou! Je bent mooi.
Greek: Σας αγαπώ. Είστε όμορφοι
Italian: Ti amo. Sei bella
Russian: Я люблю вас. Вы красивейши
Navajo: Shí ayóó'íinish´ní ayor anosh'ni, t'áá ni nishshóní
Frisian: Ik leavje dy! Do bist moai!
Basque: Maite zaitut! Eder zaude.
Czech: Miluju tě! Jsi krásná!
Slovak: Milujem ťa! Si krásna!
Albanian: Të dua! Ti je i bukur.
Danish: Jeg elsker dig! Du er smuk.
Klingon: qamuSHa'bI'IH
Mandarin: 我爱你. 你很漂亮.
Cantonese: 我愛你. 你好靚.
Gaelic: Tá grá agam duit. Ta tú álainn.
Romanian: te iubesc! Tu esti frumoasa!
Polish: Kocham cie, jestes sliczna

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I modified the above list to group entries into rough linguistic families (any real linguists in the audience, please shut your eyes). <edited to add Arabic, Tagalog, Bengali, Sanskrit, Urdu, Esperanto, Quenyan, and ththla>

English: I love you! You're beautiful!

Basque: Maite zaitut! Eder zaude.

Gaelic: Tá grá agam duit. Ta tú álainn.

Catalan: T'estimo. Ets maca.
Esperanto: Mi amas vin. vi estas bela.
Portuguese: Eu te amo. Voce e linda.
Spanish: Te quiero! Eres muy linda!
Spanish (alt): Te quiero! Eres muy bella!
Spanish (Castillian): Te quiero! Estas muy guapa!
French: Je t'aime, tu es belle!
Italian: Ti amo. Sei bella
Latin: Te amo. Tu es formosa.
Romanian: Te iubesc! Tu esti frumoasa!
Albanian: Të dua! Ti je i bukur.

Dutch: Ik hou van jou! Je bent mooi.
Frisian: Ik leavje dy! Do bist moai!
German: Ich liebe dich! Du bist schoen!
German (alt): Ich liebe dich! Du bist sehr hubsch!
Danish: Jeg elsker dig! Du er smuk.

Polish: Kocham cie, jestes sliczna
Czech: Miluju tě! Jsi krásná!
Slovak: Milujem ťa! Si krásna!

Armenian: Kezi geh sirem! Tun keghetsig es!

Greek: Σας αγαπώ. Είστε όμορφοι

Russian: Я люблю вас. Вы красивейши

Hindi: Mein tumse pyaar karti hoon. Tum bohut khoobsurat ho.
Gujurati: Tu mahne bow gamu chu! tu bow sarus lagu chu!
Bengali: Aami tomake bhalo bashi| Tumi khoob shoondor
Sanskrit: Aham tava snehyaami |tvam atisundaram asi|
Urdu: Mujhe tumse ishq hai. Tum khoobsurat ho.

Arabic: Ana b'hibik, ya helwi

Navajo: Shí ayóó'íinish´ní ayor anosh'ni, t'áá ni nishshóní

Japanese: Ai shiteru! Bijin desu yo!

Mandarin: 我爱你. 你很漂亮.
Cantonese: 我愛你. 你好靚.

Tagalog: Mahal kita. Ang maganda mo.

Klingon: qamuSHa'bI'IH

Quenyan: Tye melan. ("I love you" only)

ththla: Iema farathe r'iema. R'iema se nanavan.

[ February 15, 2007, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I love you in Quenya: Tye melan.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you missed my Arabic translation.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
And French would be "Tu es belle".
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait -- who posted the Navajo?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

- posted      Profile for Abhi   Email Abhi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Tulsi says in Hindi it's: Mein tumse pyaar karti hoon. Tum bohut khoobsurat ho.

Apparently Tulsi knows. [Smile]

She does... almost. The second sentence would be "Tum bahut sundar ho". "khoobsurat" is actually Urdu.

For a guy saying it, it would be "Main tumse pyaar karta hoon"

[ February 14, 2007, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Abhi ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abhi
Member # 9142

- posted      Profile for Abhi   Email Abhi         Edit/Delete Post 
In Bengali, it'd be "Aami tomake bhalo bashi| Tumi khoob shoondor".

In Sanskrit, it'd be "Aham tava snehyaami |tvam atisundaram asi|"

In Urdu, it's "mujhe tumse ishq hai. Tum khoobsurat ho".

Posts: 142 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Happy Valentine's Day!

I love you! You're beautiful!
[Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ang maganda mo" - tagalog for "you're beautiful"
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You could compile these in a book with photographs and make a mint.

Edit: Because it would be a very nice book (just wanted to clear that up).

Who's with me?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the Spanish version should be "Te quiero! Eres muy bella!" instead of "...linda!". "Bella" is closer to beautiful, whereas "linda" is more like "cute" or "lovely".

Also, it could also be "Te amo!...". Every other Latin-like language seems to use an "amo" derivative (Portuguese, French, Italian, Latin, etc...).

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
quote:
Happy Valentine's Day!

I love you! You're beautiful!
[Smile]

<beams>
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Nighthawk, I said the same thing on page one, but I was ignored. *shrug* What do we know . . . we only speak the language. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

I really like this thread.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Nighthawk, I said the same thing on page one, but I was ignored. *shrug* What do we know . . . we only speak the language. [Smile]

Oh, sorry... Well, I do admit I didn't read the entire thread. Hard to read a thread that has every other sentence in a foreign language.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.