FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anti-rape device poised to take a bite out of crime (with 25 teeth) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anti-rape device poised to take a bite out of crime (with 25 teeth)
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to add this to the discussion, as an indicator of another reaction South Africans have had regarding crime (article from 1998).

quote:
Crime-obsessed South Africans have a powerful new weapon with which to stop likely criminals: the car flamethrower.

Casting a man-high fireball, reportedly with no damage to the paint, the Blaster has been placed on 25 South African vehicles since its introduction last month.

Stories like these make me not want to visit South Africa, that's for sure.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
It's always a risk when you do *anything* to fight back against an attacker that they might get angry enough to kill you. If somebody is after my possessions, I wouldn't fight. If someone is out to rape me, I would fight. Perhaps I could let them rape me and live, but I'd rather fight and risk rape and a beating (or death) than submit.

Let's not stop women from making that choice. They should know the possible repercussions, but if they want to use Rapex, they should be able to. It may not work out well for some people, but for some people it might save them from rape and save their lives as well.

Too bad we can't poison the barbs too.

I don't view this as revenge, it is part of fighting back to get away.

Furthermore, for every male that gets caught in this, he'll presumably be caught by the police. Perhaps he won't get to rape anyone else for a long time.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
A fast-acting poison (or knockout drug, more likely) would possibly be an effective means of stopping the rape *and* protecting the woman from being beaten or killed.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
A fast-acting poison (or knockout drug, more likely) would possibly be an effective means of stopping the rape *and* protecting the woman from being beaten or killed.

It'd also be an effective means of obtaining a rape victim.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe if we built a large wooden badger...
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
3: Backup mini circular saw with slicing action, for the rapist with the higher threshold for pain and just will not take "No" for an answer.

Aaahah!

why not just have some sort of chemical that knocks out the would be rapist? that way they could be arrested!

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:
why not just have some sort of chemical that knocks out the would be rapist? that way they could be arrested!

quote:
I wrote, 2 posts earlier:
It'd also be an effective means of obtaining a rape victim.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
I just wanted to add this to the discussion, as an indicator of another reaction South Africans have had regarding crime (article from 1998).

quote:
Crime-obsessed South Africans have a powerful new weapon with which to stop likely criminals: the car flamethrower.

Casting a man-high fireball, reportedly with no damage to the paint, the Blaster has been placed on 25 South African vehicles since its introduction last month.

My main reason for not wanting to visit South Africa is the abominally high rape rate.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Knockout drugs are already a simple way of obtaining a victim. You do have a point that such things shouldn't be sold over the counter, though.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

quote:

My main reason for not wanting to visit South Africa is the abominally high rape rate.
Violent crime rates as a whole are what keep me away. Its such a beautiful country too. [Frown]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want police to be able to find the rapist quickly afterwards, assuming he could move very fast, I'd add an exploding dye pack for quick identification and because it would be funny.

I have zero sympathy for the rapist. He might get injured in a delicate place that might pain and humiliate him for life? Isn't that kinda what he was about to do to the woman? Instant karma, says I.
However, women using this on men purposesly -- leading them on so they'll get hurt -- should be charged.

So then the problem becomes, what do you do in cases of he said, she said?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
FlyingCow's link:
quote:
Spiffy.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
If you want police to be able to find the rapist quickly afterwards, assuming he could move very fast, I'd add an exploding dye pack for quick identification and because it would be funny.

I have zero sympathy for the rapist. He might get injured in a delicate place that might pain and humiliate him for life? Isn't that kinda what he was about to do to the woman? Instant karma, says I.
However, women using this on men purposesly -- leading them on so they'll get hurt -- should be charged.

So then the problem becomes, what do you do in cases of he said, she said?

You're probably going to get that problem the first time it's used. The man will claim that they were on a date or something and she used it maliciously. Possibly.

The problem between this and a false rape claim, while a false rape claim, in America, can ruin your life, this can ruin your life AND add injury to insult. I think, depending on the damage, it should be considered assault with a deadly weapon. The website says the device is non-fatal IF the attacker receives medical attention immediately. That doesn't automatically mean that not getting attention will result in death, but I'd be curious to see the studies done on it. Otherwise it'd be what, premeditated assault with a weapon? I'm not sure what the charge would be.

I guess the lesson to men here who find themselves on a really, really good first date, is to always look before you leap.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the knockout drug version, myself. Wasn't that used in Snow Crash?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right -- YT had one.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.