FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Arguements (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Arguements
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Feer:
What in Blue Blazes does 10p mean?

He was charging you for help with your homework.

10p

The link was at the top of a simple Google search. Dude, if you can't learn to feed yourself, this is going to be a short and painful life.

That'll be another 10p. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the 10p is actually a reference to the ministry of arguments sketch from Monty Python.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I don't remember "10p" in the clip, but I'm sure it's possible. They're Brits; it would be a "10 pence" reference nonetheless, no?

[Although, if it were a MP reference, that would provide additional context, of course, and we would be in your debt for pointing that out.]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually "One pound for a five-minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a vague recollection of there being a 10 pence thing in there somewhere, but it was not at all clear. I imagine Tom will be along at some point to clear it up.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's in one of the Spanish Inquisition sketches on 'The Final Rip Off.'

I have no idea if that's what Tom is referring to.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a specific Monty Python reference, but indeed it was once the case in Britain that 10p was the go-to minor charge, the equivalent of a quarter in the U.S. around 1975. [Smile]

--------

Feer, to be more helpful, I'd like to suggest that identifying the possible conflicts between the account of creation in the Book of Genesis and the story of creation implied by an evolutionary worldview based on Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection -- which is really what your question's about, right? -- is something that's a matter of considerable dispute.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

- posted      Profile for Feer   Email Feer         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda, that was my general question. But at this point in time it is long past the overveiw of everthing and its getting pretty detailed. More along the lines of spacifics.

What am I up to? 30p?

Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
More along the lines of spacifics.
You first.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, no one here is going to do your work for you.

You may as well get that into your head. If you have some thoughts of your own that you'd like to bounce off us, you'll find that you get a pretty good response.

If you say (as you've done), "Tell me everything I need to know about [insert subject]", you're not gonna get much help.

Plus, you're completely ignoring the possibility that the Book of Genesis was written by Darwin. You gotta cover all your bases.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

What? That's ridiculous.

Darwin was barely literate.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

Is acually not possible that this isnt for home work? i want some candid answers from some different mindsets before stating my own stand on the subject in question.

And i learned my lesson about homework from the last time i got lazy and tried to bum off you guys.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
We want some some evidence that you've actually thought about this issue yourself before we go to the bother of sharing ours.

Your asking for something that takes time and effort out of our lives, and you're giving absolutely nothing in return -- not even discussion.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

I'm disgusting right now. hehe
I would prefere that I get feed back from some without throwing in my opinion, whether you think it does or not I think stating my opinion first may acually affect the way some people respond to my question.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom pretty much summed up what I was going to say.

Charles Darwin, Homosexuality, Monty Python, British Currency, and the ethics of forum based homework assistance, all in one thread. Lets derail if further,

If William Shatner had had access to this forum would he have still cheated on the Kobayashi Maru?

edit: Feer: And in same token I am concerned that if I write out my opinion it will dramatically alter your opinion to the point that our opinions are identical. Since I'd rather not rock your universe, I must insist you state your opinions and observations before I tragically erase them from existance. [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Who cares? His priceline.com commercials show his brilliance.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
I would prefere that I get feed back from some without throwing in my opinion, whether you think it does or not I think stating my opinion first may acually affect the way some people respond to my question.

Sugar, let me get this straight:

You don't want to have a conversation. You only want answers, without having put anything into the discussion itself. Just straight, pure, answers to your teacher's questions, so that the process can completely bypass your brain altogether.

Is this correct?

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Feer makes commercials?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Brilliant!
Feer
Member # 9846

No not correct i want pre answers to see where other people from this universe stand before i jump in with what i have.
oh glory, anything else before i submit and throw my opinion of life to heck??

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

That's the cost of doing business, as they say.

You withhold your opinion, and get nothing back, or share it and risk (*gasp*) influencing our responses. Your call.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
No not correct i want pre answers to see where other people from this universe stand before i jump in with what i have.
Do you always get everything you want?

Well, I guess this is just one of those times, then.

edit: Here's a bone. There are people on this board who have just about any opinion on this subject you can imagine. We don't actually all agree on some things.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
You could also do some work and check out what people here have already written on about 16 zillion evolution or bible thread.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
You could also do some work and
Trying to get other people to do his homework is hard work!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
oh glory, anything else before i submit and throw my opinion of life to heck??

He just called hatrack heck! Would that make sakeriver hell? Was hatrack.AOL.com heaven and loudmouth lion the garden of eden?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feer
Member # 9846

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Do you always get everything you want?

Well, I guess this is just one of those times, then.

edit: Here's a bone. There are people on this board who have just about any opinion on this subject you can imagine. We don't actually all agree on some things.

haha no I get nothing I want so I thought I would try for it for once, so does everyone share in this opinion that to you must get a gift before you give?

dang I guess i fall in there to.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It would also help your cause a fair bit if you were to use better writing mechanics. I don't say this to be cruel, I say it in an honest attempt to help you start discussions in the future.

Example:

"I'm disgusting right now." Maybe it has been a while since you've showered, but it bears no relevance to your topic of discussion. Using the correct word "discussing" would more than likely make people a bit more amenable to conversing with you, not to mention being able to stand in your company. [Wink]

Unless you were trying to be funny. Hmm. But if that were the case, it missed the mark.

Moral of the story: Conversation takes effort - if you show some, we will too.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Come back when you grow up.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I strongly suspect that English is not Feer's primary language.

Feer -- why don't you tell us about yourself? Where are you from? How old are you? What brought you to Hatrack? What is your purpose with this thread?

I know that I am far more likely to help out somebody I know and like than a stranger whining that I won't do his homework.

Feer
Member # 9846

Holy poo... Not homework,

It was a jab at humor. A very bad one.
I'm from a poor side of Phoenix, I'm 17, I'm a Card fan thats why im here. My purpose in this threads was to get candid answers, now i guess its more or less a losing battle to get back a reputation I never had.

I am appoligizing now for coming in here, not at all my territory, me having a total of 18 posts, and asking for things that are stong and personal opinions about a huge conflict around the world.

Thanks for the slap in the face [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am appoligizing now for coming in here, not at all my territory, me having a total of 18 posts, and asking for things that are stong and personal opinions about a huge conflict around the world.
Hint: you get more opinions when you share your own. It often helps to check the forum to see if threads about the very question you just asked have been actively discussed in the last few days.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Feer, lots of newbies post here and ask for homework help. Lots of newbies also post here and ask for opinions on subjects that have been hashed out dozens of times already, without wanting to contribute anything to the discussion. We are not puppets that dance on command for you. If you want to have a discussion, you must participate in it. That's not a slap in the face. That's us telling you to have respect for the community.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try giving your opinion.

The thing is, these discussions about Darwinism and Creationism lead to hurt feelings. We've had them many times before, and had the hurt feelings to show for it. So maybe you can understand why someone who wants to stir that pot but doesn't show evidence of wanting a genuine conversation might not be met with open arms. If you want friendship with a bunch of Card fans, you can find that here. But trying to get them all to fight each other for your amusement is not the way to go.

I personally have next to no patience for the wounded newbie stance, so I'm explaining this nicely once before I lose my patience altogether.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Holy poo... Not homework,

It was a jab at humor. A very bad one.
I'm from a poor side of Phoenix, I'm 17, I'm a Card fan thats why im here. My purpose in this threads was to get candid answers, now i guess its more or less a losing battle to get back a reputation I never had.

Thanks for the slap in the face [Smile]

No need to be so dramatic. You are still welcome here, I myself have not formed a strong opinion of you at all. Were you to post another thread about how obnoxiously high movie ticket prices are I would probably forget you even made this thread and respond to your post in the affirmative.

I think folks are just trying to send you two messages.

1: People try to get forums to do their homework for them all the time and its usually in the form of, "Hey what do you all think about this?" Hoping to glean pages of responses, and yet post nothing that could be discussed.

2: Hatrack has many users and has been around some time now. Its MORE then likely that if you search for a topic as hot as religion or evolution that there are myriad threads dealing with it, you can go read those without expending any of our effort. Well actually, Ill expend some effort right now, enjoy,
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=046050;p=1&r=nfx
^^ now c.t.t.n could have been masking her homework phishing attempt with a poll, but who can know these things?

Scott R
Member # 567

That was your face I slapped?

[Evil Laugh]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Also I just realized that I very much like calling the concept of trying to glean mass numbers of responses on a topic from forum posters for the purposes of using it in homework assignments as "Forum Phishing" its extremely similar to identity theft.
Feer
Member # 9846

Which turns my prespective to a different view of things. I have looked through the threads and there was nothing that really stood out to me. I could go digging through thousands of posts to find one section of a 100 page thread that gives me one line of what i want.

At that if people are still in this thread I'm am willing to let go of the idea that i have, and start with an actual discusion.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Might be worth a shot.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

What's the worst that can happen? You won't get the responses you're looking for.
Feer
Member # 9846

My opinion coincides with both Origin of the species and genesis. I believe that there was and still is evolution. I also believe that there is a god. God being all powerful can create anything. So why not create a 70 year old man? He can have memories of growing up because god can plant them there in the 70 year old mans brain. So why can’t god make a world millions of years old with fossils and already evolved animals? With all the steps in evolution right there. Could be as simple as to test ones faith. I think that both can work. There are hundreds of people with an extra finger, 11 in stead of 10, is that not evolving? Slowly, but still going, that trait can be past on. So what if its incest that does most of it, its still going, and they are still producing.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Edited to add: whoops, your post came up as I was writing]

Sure! What do you think about the topic? In your readings of Genesis and Darwin's work, what stuck out to you as similar and dissimilar?

*interested

Feer
Member # 9846

Mind you this came about long after i had posted the original post, so thats why what i just said differs from the post leading off this thread
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"^^ now c.t.t.n could have been masking her homework phishing attempt with a poll, but who can know these things?"

c.t.t.n. is my alt. Last I checked, I'm male.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
So what if its incest that does most of it, its still going, and they are still producing.

I'm not sure this is a supportable fact. Most mutations are not correlated with incest, and most [individual incidents of conception via] incest (actually) are not going to result in the increased expression of a mutation in the offspring.

(Is this a tangent, or did you want more info? I can point you in the right direction if needed.)

Feer
Member # 9846

it was a tangent.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Feer, you could be right, but I see no evidence that the universe punishes those who go by logic any more than it punishes those who go by belief.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
11 in stead of 10, is that not evolving?
Mmmm...I don't know. I think there's a difference between mutation and evolution. Having 11 fingers is a mutation; having larger lungs to facilitate breathing in a low oxygen environment is evolution.

But I may be wrong.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ah, okay. [Smile]

I don't see a conflict between a figurative interpretation of the Christian Bible and the scientific theory of evolution. I do see a conflict between a literal interpretation of the CB and the theory, but I am neither a believer myself nor a literalist, so it doesn't cause me any consternation myself.

Feer
Member # 9846

Evolution comes from mutation. The fish that has a mutated fin alowing it to go faster through that water, a human having an extra finger to type fast on a computer and get a better job, so he doesnt die off and he can pass his extra finger gene mutation
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you believe in evolution defined as the genotype of a species changing over time, but you're not convinced that evolution is responsible for the origin of the species.

I can understand that. I know I've said similar things in the past.

I think that evolution as you described it is an unassailable fact. We've seen species adapt and change according to environmental pressures.

As far as the origin of the species is concerned, I have no strong opinions. There certainly appear to be contradictions between Genesis and what we find in the physical world, and there many ways to reconcile those apparent contradictions without assuming that one is completely false. Honestly, it doesn't bother me much to not know what the correct reconciliation is.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.