FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Showgirls in my alumni magazine (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Showgirls in my alumni magazine
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
What Matt said [edit: several posts ago, I'm a little slow]. A showgirl is, by definition, a woman who dances in a chorus line or musical performance. There are also males that dance in chorus lines, but they are not called "showgirls". It's a female indicative name. Maybe we should change it to something like "Chorus Line Attendant," to be more PC.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are also males that dance in chorus lines, but they are not called "showgirls".
I wonder* why I've never seen these showguys in Las Vegas promotions.

(*not really)

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Tresopax: So did Titanic and The English Patient [Wink]
More to the point, popular American opinion is not a very good determinant of what will be popular with a mostly male, mostly Asian, Canadian audience.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

I believe that has to to with what the PR and marketing companies decide is effective advertising based on consumer survey's, history, and the like. It says nothing about the performance or the performers. (depending on what ads you enjoy looking at. If you are looking at adult themed stage shows, well, that's to be expected. I'm actually trying to find an ad for Vegas that has a showgirl, with the expectation of also finding an ad that has a male dancer, but, alas, I can find neither. Lotsa tigers and people painted blue though.)
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
"Showgirls" are female because males in the same costume and doing the same job are called "drag queens." It's a matter of terminology.

dkw wins the thread!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if showgirls' costumes are as revealing as they are primarily to allow movement, they had me fooled. I know that most serious ballerinas and modern dancers wear tight and/or revealing clothing, but I don't recall seeing any dressed in the showgirl mode.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
The feathers are apparently to help keep them aloft.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

No, no, the feathers are to turn on all the bird fetishers out there.
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
<chirp>
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
No, no, the feathers are to turn on all the bird fetishers out there.

Just like the Hooters outfits!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Are they honest? Are they competent in their jobs? Are they respected in their profession? Do they give to the community? If so, then why not be proud of them? They are performing a job you find distasteful, yes, but so what? Are they doing it well?

For that matter I'd rather see a showgirl on the cover than, say, the average televangelist or corporate lobbyist.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I swear, Chris, sometimes you really kick ***.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Only in tandem with 11 other commentors, to music.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
And feathers! You need feathers!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.