FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do we have a thread about Burma? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do we have a thread about Burma?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
UN Security Council Rebukes Burma

I'm surprised that the Chinese allowed this to happen, and am curious to see what happens next. Anybody know what has historically happened as a result of previous rebukes from the Security Council?

Gambari is expected to be heading back to Burma in the next few days (which is sooner than had been the previous plan).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm aware that the updates that I'm making to this thread aren't of general interest, but I think that I'll go on making them, just for the sake of having a (more) complete record of how all of this unfolded to look back on. Toward that end:

It looks like Soe Win, Burma's Prim Minister, has died. He had leukemia after all, it seems; it had been rumored that he did, but it wasn't certain. His death isn't expected to have any impact with regard to the protests and subsequent crackdowns.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Noeman- I am interested, just have no productive comments to make. [Smile]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Thanks scholar, that's good to know.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading them! I looked for information on the historical effects of UNSC rebukes but couldn't find anything and then got distracted.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Glad to hear it, kq.

Japan is cutting off a tiny bit of aid to Burma. 4.5 million doesn't really seem like enough to make much of a difference, really.

Burma is still arresting the people who participated in the protests. The military government's statement on the subject is "Those who led, got involved in and supported the unrest which broke out in September were called in and are being interrogated....Some are still being called in for questioning and those who should be released will be."

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Blood Rubies
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Good article, aspectre; thank for the link.

Some good news! Three Leading Burmese Dissidents are Freed.

A popular Burmese actor, his wife, and a very popular Burmese comedian had all three been arrested early in the crackdown, and have now been freed. I'm curious to know what the military government's motivation is for releasing them. All of the protestrers who have been released have had to sign agreements saying that they won't participate in futurre protests. I wonder what these three had to agree to. Given that they're popular figures, I could see the military government hoping to use them to shore up popular support for itself. Or I could see their release as as a token intended to relieve teh building anti-Burma sentiment on the international stage. If the military government had ever shown any indication in the past of caring about the way they're perceived internationally, I'd be more inclined to think that that were the case.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Burmese Military Government Appoints 54 Member Committee to Draft New Constitution

This could potentially be good news, but it's hard to say yet (given the military government's past actions it seems unlikely, but you never know). The opposition (ie the winner of the last election) isn't represented on the committee, which is definitely not a good sign, but it's still possible that this committee will be something more than the government's hand puppet.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.