FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sci-Fi's "Tin Man" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sci-Fi's "Tin Man"
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I found the final part on a different part of the site. It was OK.

What I wonder about is all the people who obeyed Az.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoyed it, but there was a really bad plot oversight...

Spoilers...

Through most of part 1, the Sorceress is searching for DG, but doesn't know about the other 3 characters. At the end, she captures DG and Raw, and Cain is presumed dead. Only one is missing.

In part 2, DG and Raw escape, meet up with their friends, and then the dog that helped them turns into a man with a WANTED POSTER.

Which shows all four people.

They should know *right away* that he's a spy. When would such a wanted poster be created? Not before their capture at the end of part 1, since the Sorceress didn't know about all of them.

And not after their capture, because... all but one was accounted for? DG and Raw were in custody! They wouldn't be on a wanted poster!

Clearly, the posters were printed after their capture but before their escape, meaning their escape was planned, meaning the person who helped them escape and has the "advance copy" of the wanted poster is a spy!

It was so obvious.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I didn't even think about it. I don't think it was that major.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Seatarsprayan, you are forgetting about Azkedelia's magic. The poster was produced by magic. In the Harry Potter stories, pictures can change. They can even move around. The wanted poster may have been one of the original ones, and it was automatically, magically updated, on the spot.

You might with equal justice wonder why it is that when the dog shapeshifts into the tutor, the latter is wearing clothes. Where did the clothes come from? The wanted poster must come from the same place.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, you did not understand my post. Magic does not explain it. From the point of view of the characters, the minute they saw that poster, they could have logically deduced Tutor *had* to be a spy. Magic is irrelevant.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she used one of the other Seers to, erm, "see" what DG was doing.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WmLambert
Member # 2509

- posted      Profile for WmLambert   Email WmLambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the series almost from the beginning—I missed the tornado, and how the characters met up.

One aspect that we may consider about slow pace and lack of excitement is the basic axiom of broadcast entertainment... a half hour show is very hard to do. An hour show is easier, yet the longer a show goes on, or is stretched to fit the time requirements, the sloppier and less compelling it usually becomes. Johnny Carson reduced the Tonight Show from 90 minutes to an hour for that very reason. A few exceptions, like the Peter Jackson Lord of The Rings shows that it can be done—but elevates such successes to a place few lesser movies or series can reach.

I find the same with SF series. Dune was great, but all the follow-on worm-stories were mediocre. A few SF series, like Ender's Game and the Honorverse series, tend to maintain the edge with which they began, but there are always a few books in the series that fail.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I did enjoy some of the references, such as lions and tigers and bears.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciated the "She's melted!" part. Utterly unnecessary, but a respectful tribute to the original version. Then I thought, somebody's got to clean up that gunk!
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thing is being played again tonight one part after the other if you missed it before. I missed all but the first part when it originally aired. The second time round the poor acting and directing kinda stand out. Even Zooey Deschanel's acting is incredibly flat.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Alcon, you may have a point about the flatness of the acting on the part of some, including Deschanel. But was it the fault of the actor/actress, or the director, who told them to behave that way? Remember with Star Wars I how much Natalie Portman was criticized for the stiffness of her portayal of Queen Padmé Amadala? Many people suspected that was actually George Lucas' fault. Natalie Portman has shown herself to be a better actress than that. So also has Zooey Deschanel, in her many, many screen roles prior to Tin Man. I think the director was fearful of letting the actors/actresses get too emotive and mess up this big, big project that Sci Fi channel was counting on and investing in big, and wrongly chose to clamp down with too conservative, overly controlling strictures. In other words, it was a failure of nerve.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I still thought it was good the second time through.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the DVD today, and I watched the first part. So far, I really like it. It's just enjoyable for me. *shrugs* To each his own, I guess.

Edit:

Lyrhawn, you also have a crush on Zooey Deschanel. So, I can understand why you enjoy it so much. [Wink] I'm just teasing.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm sure at least a fraction of my like of this movie has to do with my undying love of Zooey. Hard to say how much though.

I can't wait for "The Happening." [Smile]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think that actually sounds good too. Maybe M. Night Shyamalan can redeem himself after the mild disappointments of his last two films.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Which were the last two? The Vilage and Lady in the Water?

I liked The Village, quite a bit actually. Lady in the Water was okay, but, reflecting on it after I saw it I think it's my least favorite of Shyamalan's movies. I liked the IDEA of the movie, I mean I like the fairy tale behind the plot, but the actual execution felt like setting up a game of Mouse Trap only to have it fall apart somewhere in the middle when you actually try to trap the mouse.

But "The Happening" looks pretty cool, in that the idea weirds me out, the trailer was spooky and surreal as all hell, and its star is my future wife. [Smile]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I enjoyed The Village the first time around. Repeated viewings, it has tarnished. I don't even know what I think of Lady in the Water.

But, I will agree. The Happening looks pretty cool. Maybe it's the return to form that Shyamalan needs to prove he's still got it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.