FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to make a woman smile (won't risk Starch jokes) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How to make a woman smile (won't risk Starch jokes)
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you suggest the title be changed to?

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. The way to a woman's heart is through the appropriate application of fabric softener.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that would be lovely.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
The title isn't explicit, no, but the mental image it conjures (for me) is, and it's just not one I care to have when I open hatrack. If it said "How to please a woman every night" I'd have no problem with it, and I think the joke would be the same.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
The title isn't explicit, no, but the mental image it conjures (for me) is, and it's just not one I care to have when I open hatrack.

Bingo.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like the thread title to be changed, too. "Little fingers" makes me think of small, underdeveloped hands. He also doesn't state (in the title) that it's his wife--it's ambiguous. It could be "How these little fingers please a *different* woman every night"

I'm also tired of the idea that it's rare for men to do laundry/dishes/vacuuming. It was the opposite in the house I grew up in.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I could see if the title evoked the images that, from their report, I suspect it is for some people, that they'd want it changed. Honestly, it was a pretty lame joke to begin with.

I don't think that it violates the TOS, but I'd like it changed too.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps, to those who find some problem with the thread, you should cease posting in it. I believe that your concerns were well heard, but to constantly voice them after every other post only serves to keep the "offending" thread in a most prominent position on the page. If you're are only posting to campaign for a thread title change I urge you to reconsider. There is no honor in badgering a fellow Hatracker over an issue of not policy, but preference. Merely a suggestion.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

You may not realize, Trent, but Dan_Raven is the person who started this thread, under an alternate handle. So the posts on this page, at least, are part of a dialog with the opening poster about what would be a more acceptable thread title.

As for your wider point, if the people who objected didn't respond to the comments their objections raised, it would basically be conceeding the thread to the people responding saying that they don't think the title needs to be changed. So while yes, each post keeps the thread at the top of the page, expecting people not to respond to people answering them on a discussion board is more than a little silly.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I'm just the tiniest bit discomfitted by the title. Not really in the "I care about this at all" manner, but more in the "This just doesn't seem to fit here" manner. Just for the record.

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't post it just because it's out of place.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Count me among those who find the title tasteless and want it changed.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
You may not realize, Trent, but Dan_Raven is the person who started this thread, under an alternate handle. So the posts on this page, at least, are part of a dialog with the opening poster about what would be a more acceptable thread title.

CAn I just say I don't like the alter-ego business? Why doesn't Dan just post as Dan so the nOObs don't get confused?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
So does Dan have really small hands?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get the small hands thing. Between that and the general Hatrack vibe, it's a really weird thread title here. Save that for GC.

However, I must point out that it shouldn't matter if it's with a different woman every night, as long as it's all consensual. And, um, safe (I guess).

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It shouldn't matter?

You're saying that somebody is wrong if it matters to them?

If so, you're wrong. [Smile]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably right.

Just tonight I told the girl I've been seeing that she has terrible taste in men.

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
The title has been changed. I hope it fits.

Lots of questions need to be answered, so here goes:

1) The title was changed because people asked. I was not ordered to change it, forced to change it, or in any way manipulated into changing it. Some people call that "self censorship". They are right, and I fully support self censorship.

2) Why so long? I would have changed it sooner, but I have issues with my user-name and password. Basically, I am stuck at Dan_raven at work and Darth Mauve at home. I can't edit titles from work on threads I started as Mauve.

3) Why the two names? Someone hacked into the email account I used for my account here. I had Papa move it to a new account. This meant a new password. I logged in at one computer with the new password. When I tried at my home computer it didn't work. Instead of bothering Papa about this, I switched to an alt with an easy password for my home computer.

4)The joke is Cliche'd. True. But the cliche' rings true no matter how much work you do around the house. Men who do more work around the home make their women happier, and there is always more work to do.

5)My fingers are far from small. Its a visual that adds a tiny bit of humor to the joke.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Thanks for the change, Dan.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

CAn I just say I don't like the alter-ego business? Why doesn't Dan just post as Dan so the nOObs don't get confused?
I didn't realize until this thread that this was the case. [Blushing]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dan. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* Okie dokie, when the majority of the population disagrees with you on something like this the majority is right [Smile]

And I had no clue Dan and Darth Mauve were one and the same... [Eek!] Learn something new every day I guess.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*shrug* Okie dokie, when the majority of the population disagrees with you on something like this the majority is right
No, the majority wins. This was not an issue of right and wrong, but of personal preference.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, the majority wins. This was not an issue of right and wrong, but of personal preference.
Well in the context of my argument they are. It's a matter of personal preference, but my argument was that the majority of Hatrack was probably fine with the title. I have just been proved wrong.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish we could get back to the original purpose of the thread, at least for me, which is that everyday kindnesses are sexy.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish we could get back to the original purpose of the thread, at least for me, which is that everyday kindnesses are sexy.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are, Elizabeth.

My husband will mention sometimes that one of the nicest things I ever did for him was make him a sandwich. [Smile]

He came home one day to pick up something and head out again on a job he was doing. It was lunchtime, I was feeding the kids, so I just naturally made him a sandwich and took it out to his truck to give it to him before he left. I overheard him telling someone else how great it was, because I didn't even ask - I just knew he was probably not going to get a chance to eat and cared enough to take the time to make him something.

A little thing - I mean, it was lunchtime I was feeding the kids anyway - but it was something that said "Hey, I'm thinking about you, and I care enough about you to want to do something for you even without asking you."

Those little things say that you are putting the other person's needs above you own, and they are a mark of a relationship with commitment.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't necessarily think a man helping around the house or doing laundry is especially a "kindness". He lives there and wears clothes too. I think it's more about him showing that he's aware of things that need to be done and does them without being asked (cuz nobody asks me to clean or cook or do laundry, you know).
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, they would ask you if you didn't do it, so I'd say that's a mark on your winning tally.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
I don't necessarily think a man helping around the house or doing laundry is especially a "kindness". He lives there and wears clothes too.

So what? His wife's doing laundry, cooking, etc. are kindnesses too. And while sometimes it's hard to see what can so easily feel like drudgery in that way, that doesn't make it any less true.

Someone I know made the point a bit differently. He said, "My wife is a wonderful woman! Every day she provides food, housing, and clean clothing for 10 orphans! Isn't that wonderful?" The audience agreed that it was. Then he corrected himself: "Actually, they're not orphans. They're our children. Why do people not think that is just as wonderful?"

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Someone I know made the point a bit differently. He said, "My wife is a wonderful woman! Every day she provides food, housing, and clean clothing for 10 orphans! Isn't that wonderful?" The audience agreed that it was. Then he corrected himself: "Actually, they're not orphans. They're our children. Why do people not think that is just as wonderful?"

Wonderfulness aside, I think most people would say that parents have an obligation to provide food, housing, and clean clothing to their children, while providing for orphans is seen as being above and beyond the call of duty.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't disagree -- morally or legally.

But that rather misses his point.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
His point was that people like orphans better than kids with parents?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes. The malnutrition gives them big, cute eyes. Who doesn't love an orphan?
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. My kids have big, cute eyes just by virtue of being my husband's kids. They're also skinny. They'd make good stage orphans.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Oh, is THAT why I think my kids are so cute? It's the bones jutting out?

All my kids are on the lean side, but my oldest boy is especially bad. If he took off his shirt and crouched by a gutter he'd be a poster child for Atmit.

And I am NOT naturally a lean person. I wonder if strangers think I steal my kids' food.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Just the good stuff.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

OUCH!

[Razz]

[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.