FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Freedom of Religion or Freedom from Religion (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Freedom of Religion or Freedom from Religion
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there a limit to what you can sign away through contract? I mean is the argument that even if she signed a contract that limited this right, it isn't legal to do that anyways?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes: yes, though most libertarians are generally for reducing those restrictions. I can't imagine what would prevent you from signing away your right to have small decorations outside your door, though.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, just curious. I don't know much about this so I couldn't figure out if the argument was the contract didn't cover it, or that the contract couldn't cover it.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
"scroll like object"

[Wall Bash]

What is so hard about getting the details right?
It's a scroll in a case!

[/rant]

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Oh mezuzah, I want one of those.

Why? And are you looking for just a case, or did you want an actual scroll inside?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

Maybe he's missing a doorpost...
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't that make the "why" MORE of a question?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can see how people without first hand experience could think that social workers were wonderful people. After all, they sacrifice so much for the good of the kids, right?

That's how I was suckered in.

No kidding!

That's probably why my girlfriend takes time out of her day to drive her high-school kids to doctor's appointments 'cause their parents are busy working. Or when she puts up her own money so that recent immigrant students can play varsity soccer.

Or that phone tree she's in to relay the status of a student that's currently in a coma after a car accident.

I'm not sure why she does all that, then works on the weekends to make up for her pittance of a salary. It's probably because she just really wants to ruin lives!

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Or control them.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
You could be right.

Or you could just be passing unwarranted judgment on a large group of individuals.

If the former, please proceed to explain to me the motivations of thousands of people you've never met.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Pff, that's nothing. Lisa can tell you about the inner life of Bronze Age stoneherders; it's remarkably similar to that of present-day Orthodox Jews. She's really quite good at the mind-reading thing.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Bronze Age shepherds.

Fixed that for you.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She's really quite good at the mind-reading thing.
You know, you two really do have a lot in common.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adenam:
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Bronze Age shepherds.

Fixed that for you.
Well, I could go into a long rant on how that was actually an intentional insult to Lisa's hypothetical ancestors, but actually my fingers just got ahead of my brain. Thank you. [Smile]

quote:
You know, you two really do have a lot in common.
Well, for values of "a lot" extending down to 50%, sure. We're both convinced we're right, but only I actually am.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, for values of "a lot" extending down to 50%, sure. We're both convinced we're right, but only I actually am.
For two such apparently different people, 50% is a lot.

And, as I'm sure you're aware I was suggesting, thinking you're both right isn't a part of that 'a lot' I was referring to. Everyone has that in common, or nearly everyone, to the point that even pointing it out is silly.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.