FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rethinking the failure of abstinence-only sex ed (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rethinking the failure of abstinence-only sex ed
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no, because they are actively making the decision not to try to protect students who do have sex.

I consider that on the same level as a school teaching kids not to drink, but not telling them that they shouldn't go home in a car with someone who is drunk or that they shouldn't drive if they do get drunk. That is, the school is actively and knowingly choosing to put kids at higher risk.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I do sort of think the abstinence-only approaches reflect the belief that less harm is done by failing to achieve 100% abstinence, than by allowing a greater amount of premarital sex but preventing STDs and pregnancies relative to the amount of sex.

Like Samp said, they might not be under the delusion that they can 100% prevent premarital sex, but they also aren't actively choosing to cause greater harm, in their own minds. It's just a different evaluation of the harms. (One I would probably disagree with strongly.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
Well, no, because they are actively making the decision not to try to protect students who do have sex.

This is in no way the active concluding process. There are other options.

- the assumption that it is a more viable process to omit contraceptive information in terms of keeping the kids safer

- the assumption that it is a more viable process to omit contraceptive information in terms of keeping the program cost effective

Both can be adequately described as potentially misguided, not 'evil.'

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.