FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Obama: plans to be in office "8-10 years" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Obama: plans to be in office "8-10 years"
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I'd guess there's 57 states if you include the hopefuls: DC, Guam, the other territories that got quarters, and that smidge of Michigan on the other side of the lake.

You know the irony is that they want to form their own state and call it "Superior." Unless the only criterion we're using in judging quality is how far north you are, I just don't see it. As far as I'm concerned though, they can go for it. We already got all the iron, timber and copper out of them. They're just a burden now.

Wait, that's a real movement? I thought pooka was kidding. Wow. Why??
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Wanting to divorce yourself state-wise from the festering postindustrial wound of the greater detroit area is understandable.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not it at all. There has been a separatist movement, no matter how small (and it's always been fairly small) in the UP for at least the last 20 years, and that's well within the boom times of the nineties when the Big Three were making money hand over fist from SUV sales. The UP gets paid out in state funding a hell of a lot more than they pay in taxes.

Without the trolls to help subsidize things, they'd be paying a lot more for some pretty basic services since the UP is fairly remote and sparsely populated.

Still, I'm glad we ended up with the UP and not Toledo.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.