FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What Happened to the Blayne Christmas Thread? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What Happened to the Blayne Christmas Thread?
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a monster. I'm you!
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My sweetie and I go messin' around in a backwoods park off the edge of the coast that has a whole traffic system of rotting, falling-apart scrap wood ramps and platforms for biking. It looks like the dark side of Endor. Don't play there.

But if I made a bike ramp of scrap wood, you could use it. If I let you.

It took some careful editing in my head, but I managed to read this post the way it was meant to be read, including the invitation to Porter to ask to be invited;)
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:

:lol:
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
You know, the thing that irritates me the most is that you (and many others I've known with this level of...we'll say self-confidence) will probably make it through your entire life without incurring an injuring serious enough to change your perspective.

edit: not that I'd want you to get hurt.

Well, if he was my brother, I'd definitely give him a sharp slap upside the head and then take him out idiot-watching at the local skate parks.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:

Hehe.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
quote:
ultimetly a helmet won't help much if you're hit by a car
False. I've personally known three people that have been hospitalized from being hit by a car while cycling. (Dallas is not a biker friendly city.) In every case, the doctors said that without a helmet they probably would have died.
Um, we are talking about bicycles >__> not motorcycles of course you should wear a helmet on one of those..... XD just like you should wear a seat belt in a car, YOU SHOULD, but you shouldn't have to.
Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just like you should wear a seat belt in a car, YOU SHOULD, but you shouldn't have to.
Unbuckled passengers are an endangerment to others as well as themselves in an accident, so seat belts should very much be a requirement.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rawrain:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
quote:
ultimetly a helmet won't help much if you're hit by a car
False. I've personally known three people that have been hospitalized from being hit by a car while cycling. (Dallas is not a biker friendly city.) In every case, the doctors said that without a helmet they probably would have died.
Um, we are talking about bicycles >__> not motorcycles of course you should wear a helmet on one of those..... XD just like you should wear a seat belt in a car, YOU SHOULD, but you shouldn't have to.
He was talking about bicycles, hence "cycling".
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Unbuckled passengers are an endangerment to others as well as themselves in an accident, so seat belts should very much be a requirement.
Not to mention an unbuckled passenger is much more likely to be seriously injured in an accident requiring more emergency assistance which ties up more infrastructure for a longer period, leads to greater insurance costs, etc. I've certainly never heard any rational argument against making seatbelts mandatory as a legal measure that isn't far, far outweighed by the arguments in support. Given that 'the right to endanger myself and possibly tie up the road, emergency personnel, and raise insurance rates of others in the name of personal freedom' is a pretty crappy argument.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a very terrible accident while biking that by luck I don't recall hitting my head, but I did hit everywhere else and my laptop was in the bag... Although it didnt seem damaged (acers seem to be the ak47s of laptops) but it COULD have been worse.

I was biking on that raised little bicycle path on a overpass and at the end of it narrows suddenly and I misjudged the distance and tried to abort last second and screwed up.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
All in all you won't crash a bike unless YOU do something wrong, end of story. I trust myself enough not to screw up... so I wear no helmet >;o
This is also stupid, and what's funny is you've told us the real reason you won't wear any sort of protective gear: because it looks ridiculous.
I've had two serious bicycle accidents, since i lived in a bicycle town. I also had friends lose teeth and crack their skulls or break other bones on their bikes. It was rarely their fault- people are remarkably good at looking out for their own safety most of the time.

I was hit by a car driven by an imbecile who didn't check the bike lane before pulling out in front of me, and I had a chain slip on a bike path and throw me head first over the handlebars onto the ground, where I herniated a disk and was disabled for nearly 3 months. Neither incident was my fault- considering in both cases I had exercised due diligence (my bike was well maintained). I never did wear a helmet, by the way, but never injured my head, thank god.

So this is just rawrain being a twit. That's ok- he wants to act like a twit because he thinks adults act like twits. One wonders why he would desperately want to be one.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
quote:

. You have a tendency to live within the mental and physical spheres, and wear headphones to block out the world as much as to listen to music.

*Blink*

Have you been in contact with my father or something?

Why is that a bad thing? I love listening to music on my in ear canals. Mostly because I have sound issues and everyday noises can drive me bonkers.
Like gum popping.
At the risk for nagging about nagging, don't nag Blayne. It's not nice.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All in all you won't crash a bike unless YOU do something wrong, end of story.

Hey, kid — this is retarded. You are saying retarded things.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yeah um, considering my greatest fear is getting hit by a car when biking to the point I deliberate bike against the flow of taffic (so I can see them coming and swerve off the road) yeah.

Oh and one time when I was just outside my house some drunk yahoos drove up behind me and then speed up aiming to drive me off the road deliberately.

You cant control what other idiots do.

Rawrain
Member # 12414

quote:
Yeah um, considering my greatest fear is getting hit by a car when biking to the point I deliberate bike against the flow of taffic (so I can see them coming and swerve off the road) yeah.

Oh and one time when I was just outside my house some drunk yahoos drove up behind me and then speed up aiming to drive me off the road deliberately.

You cant control what other idiots do.

People aren't supposed to be drinking and driving, so as far as I can tell, you're only in danger from people are already not doing what their supposed to do, might as well go walk through a park and get shot.
Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You might as well, because you're a giant-sized imbecile. But please do it before you procreate.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People aren't supposed to be drinking and driving, so as far as I can tell, you're only in danger from people are already not doing what their supposed to do, might as well go walk through a park and get shot.

Ah, so much for the narrative about being fine on a bike as long as you don't screw up.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Ah, so much for the narrative about being fine on a bike as long as you don't screw up.
Yes, I noticed that too.

Rawrain, since you've slipped this in, I feel free to point out - again, in your blunt no white lies style - that this was a pretty chicken-crap way of admitting you were wrong, and it pretty much proves you know you're wrong about this, but don't want to admit it because that would, well, involve admitting you're wrong. That's not fun. It costs some pride. I personally don't like doing it, and forget to remember that it's better to suck it up and do it when I'm wrong frequently.

But admitting you're wrong has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you're actually wrong, though it often has a huge impact on your public appearance. Ironically much like a helmet, and not in the ways you think: not doing so makes you look ridiculous.

Rawrain
Member # 12414

.-. I don't get it, if you're on the road then get hit by a car, no matter who is driving and in what condition they are in, the situation can be completely and entirely avoided by no riding your bicylcle where large moving metal object with idiots behind them can hit you, it's just as much their fault as yours.... the only exceptions to these rules would be;
Getting struck by lightning
Having a Plane land/crash/fall on you
large boulders falling off a near by cliff that just happen to hit you
Avalanches
A tree
Getting hit by a meoteorite(right context???)
And maybe just maybe the breaks in your bike break as you're going down a hill and having no way to stop you run into something (this would actually be your fault considering maintenence of the bike is on the user)

In most of those situations besides your brakes going out a helmet helping you is quite unlikely, I have heard of a break situation where a helmet helped (read it in a magazine thing that was promoting using helmets because of one highly unlikely incident with a kids breaks going out down a steep hill and ending up in a brick wall. save by a helmet ~~~)

I also make a recomendation not to be wearing pants that well parachute at the bottom, I've gotten stuck in the bikes gears and nearly crashed several times because of that XD

You won't need a helmet if:
1. You can ride a bike from point A to point B without falling off the bike due to well not practicing.

2. You stay a fair distice from other vehicles, always be paying attention, a helmet will not always save your ass, breaking your spine would suck just as much as ending up in a coma (opinionated statement)

3. Being reckless typically results in some kind of injury so don't do it unless of course you wear a helmet and probably some pads >___>

4. Remaining a distice from unmovable objects such as, brick walls, or houses, or even trees. Riding into one of these will probably do more damage to your bike than you, but this really depends on the speed you run into them.

5. Be more careful on rugged terrain, if you're not expecting a sudden shift in position you could potentially land on your head, mountain biking = helmet.

6. Making sharp turns on a bicyle is also a bad idea.

7. Stop at stop signs and red lights... that one explains itself.

8. Make sure your bike isn't going to fall apart when you're riding it, before you even get on it.

9. Ride a bike that fits your size......

10. PAY ATTENTION, I would assume most bike accidents are a result of drifting attention.....
Oh, wow, look a rainb - bam, the bike tire hits a pebble on the ground and the bike plummets and you land on your noggin, why, because you were looking at the sky ~__~

.__. there maybe be a tip or 2 left out, but by following thems instructions your roughly garenteed not to get hurt ( this of course excludes the above exceptions example being, large objects falling from the sky in which case you're more likely to die at any rate)

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Billy goats gruff.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
.-. I don't get it, if you're on the road then get hit by a car, no matter who is driving and in what condition they are in, the situation can be completely and entirely avoided by no riding your bicylcle where large moving metal object with idiots behind them can hit you, it's just as much their fault as yours.... the only exceptions to these rules would be
You get it, you just don't want to admit it. This was made pretty clear by your reasons before: you don't wear even protective gear as simple as a helmet because 'it looks ridiculous', but you're also the guy who doesn't tell white lies because he doesn't care much what other people think.

Anyway, there are very few places indeed you can ride a bike where cars don't go. Cars are also not the only danger on a bicycle. You might get a sudden flat tire. An animal might leap out into the road. Your chain might slip or break. Your foot might slip. Accidents happen. Everyone of decent intelligence and wisdom knows this. Only fools don't.

We can safely consider this objection of yours dealt with decisively, Rawrain. It's a 100% non-starter.

quote:

And maybe just maybe the breaks in your bike break as you're going down a hill and having no way to stop you run into something (this would actually be your fault considering maintenence of the bike is on the user)

In most of those situations besides your brakes going out a helmet helping you is quite unlikely, I have heard of a break situation where a helmet helped (read it in a magazine thing that was promoting using helmets because of one highly unlikely incident with a kids breaks going out down a steep hill and ending up in a brick wall. save by a helmet ~~~)

First of all, suppose it is your fault: good, so wear a helmet. Don't be a moron for the sake not not looking like a moron by not wearing a helmet. And no, it's not 'quite unlikely' that a helmet isn't going to help you. If something strikes you or you fall off your bike, you might land on your head, and chances are very good that if you don't have a helmet on it will hurt considerably more and perhaps even be much more harmful than otherwise.

So this is another objection of yours that has been relegated to the waste-heap of folly. The only real basis you've got for not wearing one is that 'they look ridiculous'. Nothing else you've said stands up to its own reasoning.

But, anyway, now that I get to the rest of your list, I see it's full of nonsense and you're not actually discussing this, so have a good time behaving foolishly in your pursuit of not looking ridiculous.

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
I am a seasonal biker and I teach bike safety courses for school events. let me state that Rawrain is just horribly full of crap.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

My opinion is so, other people look rediculous with their helmets > so I must, I don't care what other think, but I do care what I think. Not to mention hats and helmets make my head itch insanely and they obstruct my view, putting me more at risk of having an accident.

Inspecting your bike before riding makes it even more unlikely something like the pedal breaking or even the chain breaking... but in typical cases the chain breaking or falling off wouldn't lead to a bike crash it would lead to braking and getting off the bike to put it back on or walk the bike someplace, a pedal breaking depends on how the person riding handles the break, it might throw some people off balance and cause them to crash but anyone who's been riding a while is skillfull enough to handle the off balance and not crash.

More important than anything else, PAY ATTENTION, it will save your life more than once.

Full of crap .-. from the age of 5 to 15 I rode my bike every single day for many hours, the main cause of all my accidents, was my shoe strings getting stuck in the chain, my fault for not tying them really.. I used the same bike for all those years taking pretty dang good care of it, only got a few flats, and the handlebars started getting stiff to turn, the pedal had broken, and the breaks wearn't all that great.. I would also spend a significant amount of time riding in streets that had occassional drunk drivers. The times I ever did crash, which were all when I was less than 7 was mostly from shoe strings and falling over XD because I got the bike too big for my size and I could barely reach the pedals. During those years I never not even once got close to being hit by a vehicle.

[ November 19, 2010, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Rawrain ]

shadowland
Member # 12366

- posted      Profile for shadowland   Email shadowland         Edit/Delete Post 
Rawrain, how big is the city that you live in? Can you acknowledge that different places have different riding conditions and that those conditions can vary greatly from the ones that you may be familiar with?
Posts: 161 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

I've lived in many areas when I road my bike, but none of them were large cities like Miami or Memphis. Though in large cities sidewalks are far more common and is where I would infact ride a bike. But I lived urban areas with no sidewalks, but plenty of people.

I actually dread the area I live in now, there are no sidewalks and alot of cars, so travelling on the road with a bike is more like, ride a little, pull over let the cars pass that are getting too close, and repeat not much fun /:

11. Do not ride your bike when ice is on the ground.

shadowland
Member # 12366

- posted      Profile for shadowland   Email shadowland         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though in large cities sidewalks are far more common and is where I would infact ride a bike.

Riding on a sidewalk is illegal in every city that I've lived in.

quote:
I actually dread the area I live in now, there are no sidewalks and alot of cars, so travelling on the road with a bike is more like, ride a little, pull over let the cars pass that are getting too close, and repeat not much fun /:
Pulling over to let cars pass is also not an option on many roads in many cities. You really shouldn't assume that the way you perceive things is true for everyone else.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I dont wear a helmot but only because I dont have any that properly fit, but at least I know its a risk and don't bike that often.

If I had the whereferal I'ld buy knee pads, biking gloves and a properly fitting helmet, as I haaaaaaate scraps.

I'ld really like a army surplus kevlar helmet, that would look fairly cool when biking.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:

Depends on circumfrence of wheels, in Ontario anyways this is why theyre installing bizicle lanes everywhere.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
My opinion is so, other people look rediculous with their helmets > so I must, I don't care what other think, but I do care what I think. Not to mention hats and helmets make my head itch insanely and they obstruct my view, putting me more at risk of having an accident.
What is it going to take to make you realize that you're depressingly oblivious on the subject of bike safety?

Also, if you actually didn't care what others thought, you wouldn't care what you looked like with a helmet on. Like people who aren't retarded about bike safety.

The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
How much longer does it take to spell words correctly? It must be significant, because no one is doing it anymore. I must have missed the meemo.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

quote:
quote:

Depends on circumfrence of wheels, in Ontario anyways this is why theyre installing bizicle lanes everywhere.
That's pretty awesome :D
Also if you want an Army helmet. there are stores that sell random military equipment like that .___. though I must tell you kevlar helmets have some weight in them and they do not adjust easily, but it is excellent protection if you're being shot at XD

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Ironically much like a helmet, and not in the ways you think: not doing so makes you look ridiculous.

Well put.

mph, "Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin"?

Samp, would you please stop using that word?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck riding a bike in Boston, even in the bike lanes. The roads here weren't designed to accomodate bikes and cars, since most were built/created back when horses, cows, wagons, and foot-traffic were the only means of transportation.

*Mumbles about cowpaths-cum-thoroughfares*

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
What is it going to take to make you realize that you're depressingly oblivious on the subject of bike safety?

Also, if you actually didn't care what others thought, you wouldn't care what you looked like with a helmet on. Like people who aren't retarded about bike safety.

I'm retarded about bike safety? Nope I am increadibly careful when I am on a bicycle.
Like I said before, I trust myself enough to not get into an incident.
I don't deny the possibility of getting into an accident, I mearly go by how unlikely it is given how I ride my bike.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Samp, would you please stop using that word?

http://i.imgur.com/mIXlu.jpg
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I'm retarded about bike safety? Nope I am increadibly careful when I am on a bicycle.
Like I said before, I trust myself enough to not get into an incident.
I don't deny the possibility of getting into an accident, I mearly go by how unlikely it is given how I ride my bike.

There's a reason I called you depressingly oblivious, and it pertains perfectly to why you are clearly unable to fathom what's wrong with the things you are saying. The things you're saying here are flat out facepalm-inducing stupid, but you don't understand that, or why. It's the very essence of obliviousness.

I also have terrible personal bike safety and I don't wear a helmet either, but I don't come up with mewling justifications for not doing so, like assuming it 'helps clear up my vision' to avoid accidents or whatever.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I like my friends response to me when I mentioned I'ld like to wear an army helmet.

"Blayne... What does Bicycle helmets protect you from?"
"Blunt impact trauma?"
"And what do army helmets protect you from?"
"shrapnel..."

Rawrain
Member # 12414

Obscured vision is a rather large cause of accidents XD,
oh I get it alright, wear a helmet assuming I do get into an accident of some sort, also assuming this accident would do damage to my head of all things....

I like my way better, assume I am skilled enough to ride a bicycle without risking injury to my head, and avoiding any probable cause of having damage done to my head.

Assume assume assume assume assume.....
In the thousands of times I rode my bike only 1 of them was an accident, hell not even that I was being very reckless so it wasn't even an accident it was somewhat expected.

Wearing a helmet is only a good idea assuming you would actually get hit on your head.

Also, pretty funny Blayne XD

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Obscured vision is a rather large cause of accidents XD,
oh I get it alright, wear a helmet assuming I do get into an accident of some sort, also assuming this accident would do damage to my head of all things....

I like my way better, assume I am skilled enough to ride a bicycle without risking injury to my head, and avoiding any probable cause of having damage done to my head.

Assume assume assume assume assume.....
In the thousands of times I rode my bike only 1 of them was an accident, hell not even that I was being very reckless so it wasn't even an accident it was somewhat expected.

Wearing a helmet is only a good idea assuming you would actually get hit on your head.

Also, pretty funny Blayne XD

Actually, I take it back. Don't wear a helmet, there is nothing needing protection.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Now thats going a lil' far.

He laughed at my joke afterall.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like my friends response to me when I mentioned I'ld like to wear an army helmet.

"Blayne... What does Bicycle helmets protect you from?"
"Blunt impact trauma?"
"And what do army helmets protect you from?"
"shrapnel..."

What you need is one of these. It's all the rage, and the chicks dig it. [Wink]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.