FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Buffy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Buffy
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I just liked Dollhouse better than a lot of people.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Buffy, while admitting that there are some stupid bad moments (think loanshark shark demon for kittens debt, buffybot, mayor McSnake, etc.) but it was still a better show then Dollhouse ever was.

Angel is good too, but Firefly was the best.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the mayor. Favorite season finale of all time.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Dude, I liked the shark!

The Buffy-Spike 'ship is a dream come true.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

With the exception of the infamous bathroom scene. I don't know which writer was having a horrible week when they came up with that.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
The shark was meh but the kittens were fantastic. The others I don't really feel strongly either way about.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yB0ka7UnM4&feature=related 3:30

[ March 19, 2011, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
I must be weird in that I REALLY liked season 6. Yeah I still think 5 and 7 were the best but there is just something about 6 that I really dig. I guess it's that I just like dark shows and 6 was the darkest of them all. I think it gets a bad rap because the ending wasn't as good as some others but in between were some magic moments. The scene early on when Buffy tells Spike where she really had been after her death is to me one of the all time great gut wrenchers.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
With the exception of the infamous bathroom scene. I don't know which writer was having a horrible week when they came up with that.

Having just watched that scene, I thought it was a pretty effective way of having Spike hit rock bottom, which he'd definitely been cruising for.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

**SPOILERS**

That scene was pretty painful to watch, but I think it was an important element in Spike and Buffy's relationship. She was really over him, didn't love him, and he pushed it to the point that he finally understood that.

And even though they were friends and emotional supports for each other, after that point their relationship had forever changed, and was never physically romantic again.

In many ways, their relationship post bathroom scene/ensouling was a more adult one, one of real connection instead of previously which was more of a teenage, turn your back on your problems, push the limits kinda deal.

[ March 25, 2011, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Hey, hey, careful with the spoilers! I'm watching S6 for the first time.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Sorry!
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
OMWF was so good that I got chills just reading through the Wikipedia article on it.

Best Buffy eps:

Beginnings Part II
Restless
Hush
The Body
Once More, With Feeling
Showtime

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
OMWF was so good that I got chills just reading through the Wikipedia article on it.

Best Buffy eps:

Beginnings Part II
Restless
Hush
The Body
Once More, With Feeling
Showtime

I hate musicals but Spike rocking it out was worth it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Conservations With Dead People was pretty stunning.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Between the two series, spike is easily my favorite character.....

*SPOILERS*

Even though he always gets dumped on, it is always nice when he it redeemed, like his death at the end of Buffy and the last season of Angel when he whoops Angel to get the fake goblet of sorrow. Also, when he finally gets with Buffy.

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

These potential slayers are driving me nuts. Could they have found a more pitiful bunch of bad actresses?
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! One of them is Felicia Day, who goes on to do Dr. Horrible...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

And The Guild!!
Destineer
Member # 821

Oh yeah, that one's OK. The others are unbearable, though. Especially Kennedy.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the S4 finale earlier today, and am starting on S5. I know a fair amount of spoilers from this thread and other places, but I guess I hadn't ever realized that Buffy gets a random sister at the beginning of S5.

Not sure what I think of that (And yes. I know that it gets explained later on).

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

It's been a decade for me and I still don't know how I feel about the while Dawn thing.
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not like the addition of Dawn. There were a lot of plot choices that I didn't like, but that one just seemed ridiculous.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

My girlfriend hates Dawn more than any other character. Especially when she first entered the show. She also says that "the potential slayers were, by and large, just annoying. Slowly as the seasons progressed as they added on characters, they just got increasingly annoying and contrived."
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hush" is one of my favorites, actually, one of my favorite episodes of anything ever.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife once stated the opinion that Dawn makes a heckuva lot more sense if you assume she was written to be, say, six rather than fifteen.

You know, the self-centered attitude, the melodramatic lack of perspective, the temper tantrums, the lack of common sense, the inability to recognize that her actions put herself and others in danger...

Oh, I might mention I'm not exactly fond of Dawn. She has a moment or two, and I really think it's more about how she's written than how she's played, but she's like every other Buffy character's most mopey and irritating characteristics without character growth, resolution, or an "off" switch.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Dawn was another case of TV writers just not knowing how to write teenagers (like Connor on Angel, or Welsey on ST:TNG. They don't know what to do with them... so they make them moody or troubled or impulsive.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Oh, I thought Dawn was awesome in Season 5. (Not so much after that.)

The Dawn-Spike dynamic was so cute. They kind of ruined that a ways into season 6, though. Really they just stopped paying attention to that particular relationship. It made me angry.

dabbler
Member # 6443

They were so absurd in concept. Buffy suddenly getting a sister? Connor entering the show? The decision that these plot devices made sense in the Buffyverse felt insulting.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Connor being born. But not the return.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

Yeah. I mean how they returned him.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
I thought Dawn was another case of TV writers just not knowing how to write teenagers (like Connor on Angel, or Welsey on ST:TNG. They don't know what to do with them... so they make them moody or troubled or impulsive.

One reason I like the daughter on Castle. She's not any of them.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
One reason I like the daughter on Castle. She's not any of them.

She is great.

As for Dawn, I too thought the whole thing silly and contrived but the ending kinda made it all worth it.

Itsame
Member # 9712

She's better in season 8!
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is weird that the writers had so many problems writing Dawn. The first 3 seasons of Buffy were high school kids and they worked. I think the problem comes in when writers have a mostly adult world and try to put the kids into the action. In Castle, the daughter is not really part of the cases. She is still part of the teen world.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I just watched The Body for the first time; it was amazing.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
I just watched The Body for the first time; it was amazing.

And absolutely heart wrenching. Possibly the best episode of a TV show that I NEVER want to watch again.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I'll admit I started tearing up watching that episode. It was tough. It was also the best depiction of grief I've ever seen captured on television.

In other, lighter, news- I love Anya. She's my favorite character not one of the main three.

Wingracer
Member # 12293

Mine too.

Spoiler.........

I still can't believe Xander dumped her.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I agree with Destineer about the Dawn/Spike relationship, it was a great way to show Spike's caring and protective side, it made Spike feel like a more rounded character.

Best Buffy:

The Body,
Hush,
Once More With Feeling,
Tabula Rasa,
Life Seriel,
The Zeppo,
The Wish,
Band Candy,
Doppelgangland,
Conversations w/ Dead People,
Normal Again

Dawn...poor little Dawny...written specifically to be an annoyingly painful drag of a little sister, congrats writers, you succeeded.

Ayna...Zander never deserved her, she is the only Buffy character I had a real crush on (Willow almost had me, but she always felt a little too much like a little sister).

I have had serious problems trying to get people to give Buffy a fair chance. For some reason a lot of people just won't even consider it.

Shanna
Member # 7900

I also adored Anya. I always felt so bad for her because none of the other characters really seemed to understand her and where she was coming from.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

So I just watched Once More With Feeling and Tabula Rasa.

They were both great episodes. Watching Anya and Giles think they were engaged- absolutely hysterical.

I was so pissed off at Willow though. She's just being a big awful. She needs to stop it, and I felt terrible for Tara.

Itsame
Member # 9712

"Sarah Michelle Gellar says she was shocked by sex scenes in Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

She claims some of the scenes were like a bondage movie, reports the Daily Star.

"It became very S&M and I felt degraded as an actress," Gellar tells this month’s Elle magazine.

The 27-year-old actress says the series left her bruised and tired.

"It was exhausting - physically and emotionally," she says. "There were at least two fight scenes in every episode. I never wore skirts for years because of all the bruises."
Source:http://www.whedon.info/article.php3?id_article=4510

The daily star is a tabloid, but the quotes are from a legitimate source.

I haven't really thought about this actively before; I remember thinking at the time that it was pretty degrading and debased the show a bit, but I didn't actively consider it. It may actually be morally disgusting that she had to do that.

Edit: I also love that Once More with Feeling and Tabula Rasa, two of my favorite episodes, come one after another.

[ January 01, 2013, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

It always kinda bugs when people whine about the only great thing they will ever do.
Itsame
Member # 9712

I don't feel like it's whining. I think it's a legitimate complaint--she should not have been forced to do anything (especially sexual) that she did not feel comfortable. It is bordering on molestation. She shouldn't have even had to voice her concerns loudly because Whedon should have asked her if she was comfortable with it. Think the ridiculous sex scene that knocks down the building.

In other news, I just realized how careful they were with who couldn't remember their own names in Tabula Rasa.

Edit for typo.

[ January 01, 2013, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Borderline molestation? Pull the other one!

She is a professional actress, and a full fledged adult, and could have simply said no.

Bleh!

Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Could anyone remember their own name in Tabula Rasa?

It doesn't seem they were getting at anything special there

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

The only people who didn't figure out their own names early on were Buffy and Spike. They also had their own separate story line going on and were going through big identity crisises at the time. If it wasn't intentional, it fits really well.

Edit: I suspect that it's intentional, as the episode is largely an exploration of the identities the characters.

Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
The part that I found the most interesting was when they poked fun at themselves, which they do a few times that season. when Xander went by Alex, pointing out how unusual his actual nickname is. And like when Spike talked about being the vampire in love with the slayer, the epic forbidden love. And Buffy was like, "that's stupid". Right up there with "Normal Again" where they took shots at all the outlandish plot twists, and "crazy" aspects of the show
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished the series yesterday

*SPOILERS*

Pretty much my favorite characters throughout show were Anya and Spike. Needless to say, the finale was completely brutal.

And I love most of the same episodes as everyone else, but an especially memorable moment is from The Zeppo when Xander grabbed the zombie from a moving car and shouted "where is the bomb?". He's pretty much batman in that episode.

And I totally didn't expect Andrew to win me over so much over the course of season 7.

Personally, I didn't mind the plot holes and ridiculous twists.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

The Zeppo and Anya and Spike are my faves too!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.