FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Diablo 3 to use Real Currency Auction House (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Diablo 3 to use Real Currency Auction House
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! I play LoL just about everyday, I'll check it out if nothing else than to get RP cards. [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Awesome! I play LoL just about everyday, I'll check it out if nothing else than to get RP cards. [Smile]

I'm Vaniel on the show, and in game. Add me if you like and we can play a few games.

I started giving away a couple of cards a week. Last week it was one RP card and one Arctic Warfare Caitlyn skin.

I recently completed my collection in LoL. I now own all of the skins available in the store. The only skins I am now missing are the Triumphant Ryze skin (only pro players get it), Pax TF, Winged Hussar Xin Zhao (Only polish players got it) and the two recruiter skins. I have every other skin. [Smile]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Lurin in game, I'll send you a friend invite.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BBegley
Member # 12638

- posted      Profile for BBegley   Email BBegley         Edit/Delete Post 
Have to reread Cory Doctorow's novel "For the Win" now.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
I recently completed my collection in LoL. I now own all of the skins available in the store. The only skins I am now missing are the Triumphant Ryze skin (only pro players get it), Pax TF, Winged Hussar Xin Zhao (Only polish players got it) and the two recruiter skins. I have every other skin. [Smile]

Do you feel this comic accurately represents you in LoL?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:

Do you feel this comic accurately represents you in LoL?
Sadly, yes... I don't know why I want all of the skins. Maybe I just need a new hobby or type of collection that is tangible. Any ideas? I hate stamps, coins, and pokemon. Maybe old school NES games would be good.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe volunteer at a homeless shelter...
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

Brilliant! He could collect soup bowls.
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

Every other Thursday I help out a local charity that provides backpacks full of food to homeless elementary school children so they have something to eat on the weekends. The get school breakfast and lunches on the weekdays but they often have nothing on the weekends.

I got that covered. The rest of the time I hang out with my wife or play League of Legends. [Razz]

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Geraine, I am a huge fan of The Replica Prop Forum. It's a huge collection of people who like movie or TV props. Many collect actual film props, buy replicas, or make replicas. It's a really neat hobby to get into. If you have an artistic side, you can try your hand at making props.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by dabbler:
Geraine, I am a huge fan of The Replica Prop Forum. It's a huge collection of people who like movie or TV props. Many collect actual film props, buy replicas, or make replicas. It's a really neat hobby to get into. If you have an artistic side, you can try your hand at making props.

This is.... Pretty awesome. I'll check it out! I'm not artistic in the least, but I do love movies and shows.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Delayed until early 2012. I'm a mixture of pleased and sad. I was getting the feeling that things weren't wired tight on this game. I mean, they were redoing the Demon Hunter's entire resource system. But I was really hoping to tackle Diablo on Christmas.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

How wonderful, Diablo 3 is free to those who subscribe to WOW, but only if you have been subscribed for (I believe) the last 12 months.

Bah, I guess I would have paid $60 for it regardless of this deal so I shouldn't complain. I imagine I should applaud Blizzard for expecting so much per month for WOW and offering such big incentives to do so.

Anybody else excited about the new expansion? I was kinda hoping for Titan, but I suppose there's a chance we'll see an surprise announcement at some point.

Edit: Ah, nvm, you purchase an "annual pass" or 12 months, and that will permit you to get D3 for free, you also get the expansion as part of the bundle. That's interesting.

[ October 21, 2011, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
wooooooo
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Also I *really* wish they could come up with new classes for WOW that are not practically identical to classes they have in other games. These past few years it really feels like the lines that divide WOW from Diablo have blurred a good deal.

I mean a new class is cool, and it's been awhile, but monk...?

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been looking forward to Pandaren Monks since 2004, thank you very much.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I know you guys don't like the connotations of the word, but to paraquote ben stiller: Blizzard has gone full retard. You never go full retard.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

A useful post: the yearly pass lock-in for Diablo III — this, more than anything else, proves how much they fear SWTOR. They are trying to stop the bleeding for their next investor call.
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
A useful post: the yearly pass lock-in for Diablo III — this, more than anything else, proves how much they fear SWTOR. They are trying to stop the bleeding for their next investor call.

And they've turned WoW into Pokemon. Pokemon is a popular game, so that'll bring folks right?
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I must say I do like the talent/skill changes they are implementing. It's a good direction, we'll have to see how execution goes.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I can't disagree with the talent changes. Talent trees are the perfect example, starting with Diablo II (and subsequently made widespread among games) of an idea that gives a player 'choices' but which only offer up the opportunity to be wrong.

WoW in particular at present is about the best that the old system of talent trees can work, and it's still a 'choices' system, where you have to do your homework and find out what the 1 or 2 correct builds are for your spec.

I suppose they sat down, wondered what they were going to do to try to bring back the ideal theory behind talent trees, pared it down to trying to give players real choices at a series of junctures, then just pared it down even more when they realized how minimal the actual choices could be. The end result is consistent with that.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually haven't looked at the talents in detail yet, but I think there's an additional thing Talents do beyond what Samp just discussed: give you a cool new thing to be proud of at every level.

When I go several levels without getting to acquire cool new things, I get bored and leveling stops being as fun.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Talent trees are the perfect example, starting with Diablo II (and subsequently made widespread among games) of an idea that gives a player 'choices' but which only offer up the opportunity to be wrong.
You clearly don't remember Diablo II very well. The ladder resets next Tuesday, and I am planning on starting a Tesladin (Holy Shock Paladin).

Here are just some of the recommended talent allocations for this build (taken from the guide on the forums):
quote:

1) Fully synergized Tesladin with vengeance as backup skill

4 zeal
20 holy shock
20 resist lightning
20 salvation
1 vengeance
3 conviction
10 resist cold
10 resist fire

2) Teslafroster, balanced between lighting and cold damage

4 zeal
20 holy shock
20 resist lightning
20 holy freeze
20 cold resist
What’s left in salvation or holy shield

3) Tesladin + physical damage

20 holy shock
20 lighting resistance
20 zeal
20 sacrifice
10 or so in holy shield

4) Tesladin fully synergized no backup attack.

4 zeal
20 holy shock
20 lightning resistance
20 salvation
10 or so in holy shield

5) Tesladin Fully synergized with holy freeze as back up attack

4 zeal
20 holy shock
20 lighting resistance
20 salvation
20 holy freeze

6) Tesladin fully synergized with physical damage

20 zeal
20 sacrifice
20 holy shock
20 lightning resistance
20 salvation

And this build is not a standard one that very many people play. Far more common is the "Hammerdin" build. Also far more common are the "Zealot" and "Avenger" builds, which are all very different from each-other. Less popular but still played are "Holy Freeze" Paladins. Finally there is a "Smiter" paladin that with the correct gear is the top build to run the hardest game area with. Each of these builds then have a wide diversity of skill allocation choices. Then there are a variety of non-cookie cutter builds that are for fun or are tailored to some specific gear choices.

And this is just one class. There are 6 others.

Diablo II has the most variety of viable builds than any other game I've ever played. By far. It's one of its greatest strengths. These differences aren't superficial either.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
You clearly don't remember Diablo II very well.
I remember Diablo II well enough to know that it's exactly like every other talent tree system in existence: you have to do your homework and figure out which builds work, and learn how to avoid the hundreds of ways you can gimp your character right out the gate.
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
D2 was always extra fun for that, because you couldn't ever reespec, just reroll. You have to exactingly plan it out at the beginning and hope your build doesn't get nerfed through the floor.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember Diablo II well enough to know that it's exactly like every other talent tree system in existence: you have to do your homework and figure out which builds work, and learn how to avoid the hundreds of ways you can gimp your character right out the gate.
That's a bit different than saying that you don't have real choice. You do. There are dozens of ways just to make a Holy Shock Paladin. Hundreds of ways to make a viable Paladin. Ways that affect your game-play experience.

It is nice, however, that since patch 1.13, you can respec at will. That was something that always stung.

[ October 22, 2011, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I never said that you don't have real choice. Talent trees offer choices, a very excruciatingly small percentage of which aren't terrible.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

And today Blizzard has announced that both the real currency AH and the gold AH are being taken down in March, as part of their Loot 2.0 plan.

Kinda weird that in Blizzard games we've reached a point where we don't just design patches around the whole game, but talk about overhauling one section of it.

Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Good of them to fix their mistakes. I suspect there was considerable pressure on the game designers to incorporate some passive money scheme. The experiment has not worked out. People did not eagerly fork over money for virtual items...or rather, the ones who used the real currency auction house did not make up for the ones that abandoned the game (and therefore were unlikely to come back for the expansions).

I'm alarmed by reports of the expansion being $60 but at least this change applies to the base game as well.

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Look at all these words I had on the subject of talent trees, man.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.