FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't know whether to laugh or feel sick (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I don't know whether to laugh or feel sick
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
quote:
Good comedy is usually somewhat less...muddled.
I think Penn Jilette stopped caring about being all that funny a long time ago. Mostly he just rants from what I've seen.

Haha. I just said he was a comedian. Not that he was actually funny. I've never found him funny.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a mistake on your part...as bipedalism does have to do with it. And just because you assumed you knew what I was talking about doesn't mean you weren't wrong.

Also, please do not assume my mood nor tell me to change it.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, SOMEBODY'S cranky *dotes*
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Orincoro. Remember: you're not one of the people around here who gets to tell people what sort of mood they're in, or to change it. That's someone else's job;)
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
It was a mistake on your part...as bipedalism does have to do with it. And just because you assumed you knew what I was talking about doesn't mean you weren't wrong.

Also, please do not assume my mood nor tell me to change it.

I'm calmer than you are.

Calmer than you.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Prove it!

I'll bet my respiration, heart rate and blood pressure are all lower then yours.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
A church wanted to train the teenagers what to do if they were ever kidnapped, apparently the church does some missionary work so it isn't so farfetched.

So they kidnapped the kids, without notifying anyone. With hands bound and hoods over their heads the teenagers were kept in a basement, eventually shown to the pastor who orchestrated the whole thing who was staged as having been tortured.

One girl suffered some minor injuries in the kidnapping, and while blind she overheard two of the 'captors' talk about making some of the girls their 'wives.'

The pastor is being charged, as well as the church itself.

Link.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Well that was a stupid thing to do. Hope everyone's ok.

No better way to dissuade any of those kids from being a missionary.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's absurd. These aren't adults, these are children. If someone abducted me, simulated torture on someone I knew I would be terrified throughout and absolutely raging furious that they would do something so ridiculous to a fourteen year old minor.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet 2.0
Member # 12719

- posted      Profile for Olivet 2.0           Edit/Delete Post 
When I moved to Louisiana, I homeschooled. That's part of the reason why. (The other part was that New Orleans public schools are a massive social experiment right now, and wanted to make sure my children got an actual education.)

As to Penn Jillette, I really liked this video from The Big Think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rGev6OZ3w

It resonated with me.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Prove it!

I'll bet my respiration, heart rate and blood pressure are all lower then yours.

good goddamn

quote:
Employing the brash style that first brought him to prominence, Sri Dhananjai Bikudasi won the fifth annual International Yogi Competition yesterday with a world-record point total of 873.6.

"I am the serenest!" Bikudasi shouted to the estimated crowd of 20,000 yoga fans, vigorously pumping his fists. "No one is serener than Sri Dhananjai Bikudasi - I am the greatest monk of all time!"
Bikudasi averaged 1.89 breaths a minute during the two-hour competition, nearly .3 fewer than his nearest competitor, second-place finisher and two-time champion Sri Salil "The Hammer" Gupta.

The heavily favored Gupta was upset after the loss. "I should be able to beat that guy with one lung tied," Gupta said. "I'm beside myself right now, and I don't mean trans-bodily."

Bikudasi got off to a fast start at the Lhasa meet, which like most major competitions, is a six-event affair. In the first event, he attained total consciousness (TC) in just 2 minutes, 34 seconds, and set the tone for the rest of the meet by repeatedly shouting, "I'm blissful! You blissful?! I'm blissful!" to the other yogis.

Bikudasi, 33, burst onto the international yoga scene with a gold-mandala performance at the 1994 Bhutan Invitational. At that competition he premiered his aggressive style, at one point in the flexibility event sticking his middle toes out at the other yogis. While no prohibition exists against such behavior, according to Yoga League Commissioner Swami Prabhupada, such behavior is generally considered "unBuddhalike."
"I don't care what the critics say," Bikudasi said. "Sri Bikudasi is just gonna go out there and do Sri Bikudasi's own yoga thing."

Before the Bhutan meet, Bikudasi had never placed better than fourth. Many said he had forsaken rigorous training for the celebrity status accorded by his Bhutan win, endorsing Nike's new line of prayer mats and supposedly dating the Hindu goddess Shakti. But his performance this week will regain for him the number one computer ranking and earn him new respect, as well as for his coach Mahananda Vasti, the controversial guru some have called Bikudasi's "guru." "My special training diet for Bikudasi of one super-charged, carbo-loaded grain of rice per day was essential to his win," Vasti said.

The defeated Gupta denied that Bikudasi's taunting was a factor in his inability to attain TC. "I just wasn't myself today," Gupta commented. "I wasn't any self today. I was an egoless particle of the universal no-soul."
In the second event, flexibility, Bikudasi maintained the lead by supporting himself on his index fingers for the entire 15 minutes while touching the back of his skull to his lower spine. The feat was matched by Gupta, who first used the position at the 1990 Tokyo Zen-Off.
"That's my meditative position of spiritual ecstasy, not his," remarked Gupta. "He stole my thunder." Bikudasi denied the charge, saying, "Gupta's been talking like that ever since he was a 3rd century Egyptian slave-owner."

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, neither of those guys can hold a candle to Tenzin Dakpa in his prime. It's too bad he was reincarnated as a praying mantis in 2011, or he'd have blissed all of their asses out of the arena.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
That was hilarious.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.