FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Hatrack Class Reunion Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Hatrack Class Reunion Thread
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone!

I live in Israel, and I'm teaching English at a democratic elementary school. In addition, I conduct two acappella choirs, write blog posts for hi-tech companies, sell flowers at the farmers' market, perform in musicals, teach voice lessons, fill in as the tenor of a barbershop quartet in a swanky Jerusalem hotel... yeah, I'd say I've been keeping pretty busy. [Smile]

Great to read up about what you are all doing!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros2
Member # 13389

- posted      Profile for Tinros2           Edit/Delete Post 
Um... Hi! New account, because I honestly could NOT remember the actual login name or password for the old one, and I KNOW I don't have access to the email I used to register. Same Tinros, different account, back after... 8ish years?

I first registered when I was... 14, which would have been in 2002 or early 2003. Since then... went to college, Bachelor's in Psychology, tried grad school, grad school didn't go so well (I left after two semesters to work for a while and get some of the financial stress taken care of), struggled with mental illness, got it under control, and graduated 3 weeks ago with a Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling. I take my license exam in two weeks (gulp).

Personally, the boyfriend and I just picked out a ring, and he's waiting on the jeweler to finish sizing it before I can equip and gain the fiancee upgrade. I'm looking forward to it. [Big Grin]

Still in Ohio, still spending my time with books and video games. Sometimes I do grown-up stuff like pay bills, but I much prefer to cuddle my cat and relish the fact that my degree is worth something now. Had a couple major surgeries, one in 2010, one last fall, that fixed a bunch of health problems I'd had, which means I'm finally exercising and losing weight.

Something randomly got me thinking earlier today about the "bar" thread we had going on a while back. Bunch of made-up drinks themed around Ender et al., and I remember creating a "junior" menu because I was too young at the time for alcohol. Anyone else remember that?

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Congratulations on your (near) engagement, Tinros!! So exciting!

Now that I've updated everyone on what I'm doing, a week ago I discovered that my job is on the line... they're trying to fire me from the school, based on a personal vendetta the principal has against me. It's ridiculous and baseless and it has been a very hellish week. I even have a lawyer who has looked at all the facts and doesn't understand how anyone can invent stuff like this... my work is solid and I have received no negative feedback at all, at any point. And the principal is the only one who thinks I shouldn't be there. The vice principal agrees that I'm doing a great job. And the kids love me, and I get along with the parents. I get only compliments. So this sucks.

[Frown] Yuck.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Ewww...I really hate it when people in authority use their power based on personal preference. It is beyond unprofessional & into egotistical BS.

**Unsolicited advice warning**

Just remember who YOU are, and the great job you do & don't stoop to his level.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Tinros. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Thanks, Stone_Wolf. I got fired yesterday, officially.

Though now I've been calling parents to let them know and they're all up in arms and writing angry letters to the principal... so I guess it's not over 'til it's over? [Frown]

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Ouch! I'm SO sorry!

Got a union rep or lawyer?

Do they have any helpful tidbits?

Because I doubt that those letters will help considering they are going directly to to the man w/ a problem w you.

Maybe ask the parents to write to the superintendent?

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I doubt the situation is reversible, mainly because of an inherent flaw in my school's structure. It's a private school, and the parents who send me their kids each day are the same ones who get to stand behind decisions about whether or not to keep me employed. It's a very flawed system.

Also, we don't actually really have a superintendent.

On second thought... I'm pretty sure a lot of the functionality of the school is not only problematic, but possibly illegal...

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Lawyer up!
Raia
Member # 4700

I did.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, I forgot to say "hi." More importantly, that sounds awful. I'm glad you have professional legal advice.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Thanks CT.

A quick update:

Yesterday, I told the kids that I would be unable to continue next year, and that it was against my will. They started rioting in the school, hanging picket signs all over the place. Not one kid wasn't in tears or up in arms about the situation. I feel like that speaks for itself...

Democratic school and all, but the principal can ultimately do what she wants. It's infuriating. And now she's lying to parents so I'm losing the support of those parents who supported me to begin with. And I'm not allowed to respond to public e-mails she sends about me with things in them that aren't true or contain only partial information.

This is one of the most upsetting situations I've found myself in. [Frown]

And now I have to write 90 pages of student evaluations, and I'm finding it impossible to focus.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, may I ask what's being said about you at all? Why is this principal so set against you, and what is she telling people to turn them against you?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I just got an e-mail from one of the parents who own the school, telling me it was extremely unprofessional of me to use the kids' emotions against them for my own selfish gain.

The principal is spreading lies about my being a monster, about my unprofessionalism, about my doing whatever I can to sabotage the school by taking advantage of innocent kids... it is really unbelievable the level to which she is managing to stoop.

She's set against me because she made the decision to fire me, by herself and early on (based on a personal dislike), and then handled a "fair" instance in which I was able to prove my case and so on so that I would leave with my tail between my legs and she could do whatever she wanted. Instead, sure of the solidity of my work and unsure of the reasons I could be fired, I took legal counsel who told me that the process she initiated was illegal, unfair and liable. Not one person has had anything negative to say about me all year, not one person has observed me in a lesson or had a conversation with me about my work, and therefore as an employee of three years I deserve to be given all the facts and examples and be given an opportunity to make right before these steps are taken.

When I told her this, not only did she not act according to what she was legally obligated to do, in response, she was NOT ABLE TO COME UP WITH ANY VALID REASON WHY MY WORK IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I invited her to please provide me with all the facts so I can try to understand and prepare a response. She was unable to do so, and instead began relying on lies and slander, which she both put in writing in legal documents and spread through the community of parents.

I, on the other hand, have compiled a fat file of documents that prove my case, and show that my work is solid and that people are happy with what I'm doing.

After I told the kids, she took a ride on the so-called "malicious step I took against her" (though I was careful to not mention her name, or say anything derogatory or undiplomatic in any way, and even defended her against angry kids), and is telling all the parents about my selfishness in using their kids in this way. She told me that I really should put the well being of the kids first, something that she neglected to do when she baselessly fired their favorite teacher, after knowing that the other teacher who is responsible for them is also leaving the school.

I have a huge legal case against them. If I wanted, and if I didn't care about the kids so much, I could shut down the school. Her entire case is built on lies and manipulation. And it's a democratic school, so she's not even legally supposed to have the autonomy to do whatever she wants, and hire and fire people based on her individual judgment. But she is currently in a position of power and I'm not, and therefore can do as she pleases.

I will note, as well, that I spoke with several parents who were behind me and said they don't understand how this decision could possibly have been made, who now won't speak to me after what she has told them since Thursday.

Hence my anger and general upset.

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that. I hope something better comes along.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Thanks, Derrell. Actually, it did, since my last update... but I'm still angry and upset about the previous one.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd still sue. Good luck either way.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I started this thread, like 6 years ago, I did nursing school. Halfway through that I started working at the school. So when I finished my BSN, I enrolled in MSN. That kept me pretty busy until November. I've mostly been playing Freecell since then.

Next week I start my psych mental health nurse practitioner certificate, which is a program that will let me provide general level psychiatric care.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.