FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mormon progressives (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mormon progressives
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure this came from a BYU newspaper? I would guess that this was published somewhere else. I believe that this portion of his statement was about his BYU years, not that it was published in the BYU paper.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, one last quick question. do most Mormons view themselves as Mormons who are also (Democrats, Republicans), or (Democrats, Republicans) who are also Mormon? Do other religions make the same distinction? I am curious.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. The original article on which he was basing his opinions was printed in the BYU paper. However, since they don't have it online, it is kind of hard to track down. Like I said, that is the reference I found to it and it comes from a biased source. And while it is biased, I don't think he'd lie about an article as it would be too easy for others to disprove and therefore dismiss the rest of what he has to say. Just my opinion, of course, I could be wrong.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Rohan:

It depends on the Mormon. As has already been alluded to some Mormons think that there's no difference between their political and religious personas -- in other words that to be Mormon is to be Republican.

Others -- and I think it's probably safe to say that this group is comprised of Republicans, Democrats and independents -- see it as more of a slight overlapping thing. They're Mormons who are also Democrats etc. and while their consonance between their political and religious beliefs, there's also room for 'other' considerations to come into play.

Finally, relating to an earlier post, as it is for many evangelical Christians, abortion is a huge sticking point for many Mormons. I understand that, but I don't think that it should be a breaking point for every single candidate (and for some Mormons it isn't) -- I think that more Mormons should vote for a candidate if they support every other plank of his platform than abortion. I can see how the abortion litmus test could be be seen as important for some elections, but not for every single one at every single level. I don't think that you should not vote for a moderate (or even a liberal) mayoral candidate, for example, just because he or she supports abortion. While I recognize that there can be local pressures and decisions to make, but it seems to me that fundamentally abortion is a national issue, and even then I'm not sure how much (beyond access -- which is important and should be part of your decision-making equation although I'm not sure it should be a candidate breaker) influence politicians have on that other than presidents -- and even that's an indirect one involving the appointment of supreme court justices.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
popatr
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for popatr   Email popatr         Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 cents:

Either party may sometimes be at odds with church standards. But IMO, the dems more often have statistically prevalent views which are pretty bad by LDS standards. That doesn't mean that you can't be a democrat and a good mormon--you would just have to be one that stuck with the mormons on certain key points. (This is the same for reps when rep views are out of line)

The question is, are you a "good democrat" if you don't line up well with several of the statistical views? Maybe, maybe not, depends on how you define it.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'm a jatraquero who is also a Mormon.

Rabbit, I want to join and be a member in absentia. I signed up on Yahoo and am currently reading all the messages.

This is cool! I want to start a Birmingham chapter and hold meetings here. Maybe I can do them on Monday nights simultaneously with my family home evenings, since both the union and the intersection of the membership of those two groups is one. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Anne Kate. All you need to form a local chapter are four members, including a contact person and a treasurer. Send an e-mail to the link on the web site.

Woo! Hoo!

MESJ is going to have a Birmingham Chapter!!! Yeah!!

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be so cool if we actually could. I'll ask at RS and see if anyone else wants to join. I think my problem will be coming up with 3 more. LDS are very rare here and progressives even more so! I'm afraid the intersection of those two groups in Birmingham may be me.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.