FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What about statistics movies? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What about statistics movies?
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
A few thoughts as I get ready to take some of these suggestions . . .

What is Better off Dead, and how legitimate is the math connection?

What is House of Cards, and how legitimate is the math connection?

What was the math connection in Man Without a Face? Was the guy a math teacher? It's been so long since I saw it . . . I seem to remember there being a pedophilia issue there, like he was accused of it as a teacher but we think he didn't do it. Does this make it inappropriate?

What is the math connection in The Girl, the Gold Watch and Everything, or in Clockstoppers?

What is Life is Beautiful about, and how good is the math connection? What was the connection in K-Pax? Independence Day? What is Mercury Rising about--was that the one with the autistic kid who cracked some code?

Isn't Contact too controversial for this area with it's religious issues?

What was the connection for Groundhog Day?

NOTE: When I ask what the connection is, I'm not challenging the suggestion or dismissing it, I'm asking for help justifying stuff to nosy administrators.

-Icarus

[ October 14, 2003, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
ok I'm an idiot, I kept wondering who megachirops was because he sounded like someone I should know...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Banna, I was wondering the same thing. Mystery solved.

Icarus, Better Off Dead is an '80s comedy starring John Cusak that I absolutely loved when I was 14. I suspect that if I were to watch it now it would suffer from the Highlander Effect, but there are still some scenes that, when I think of them, seem like they'd be funny. The math tie is in this; there is a scene that takes place in a math class, in which the main character hasn't done his homework (or at least hasn't done as thourough a job as all of his classmates), and has to get up and do a problem on the board. That's about it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the math justification for Clockstoppers is its similar sleep-inducing qualities. Children all over the world will cry for you if you show that movie to your hapless students, Ic, and I will too.

Who suggested that?

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
K-Pax has quite a bit of detailed astronomy. One needs calculus and trig to figure that sort of thing out, I believe.

Ahh, here we go: one review says (of the protagonist), "He knows complicated math equations and refutes Einstein’s theories." Sounds good to me. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I still second K-PAX, Icarus. Lots of astronomy fal-de-ral.

I think i said Independence Day because of computers and stuff. But you know, it's actually more science-related than math. soo...

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
semi-serious suggestion: the adventures of buckaroo bonzai.

serious suggestion: i agree with several, but i think rocketman might be one of the more fun ones. i laugh until i cry every time i watch it.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Wow, I completely forgot about Buckaroo Bonzai! Great idea!

-o-

What about statistics? Any good statistics movies?

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Searching for Bobby Fischer, perhaps? Surely there are connections between learning how to play championship level chess and statistics?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Pi. I will not stop plugging that movie for a math class. [Big Grin]

I second Bobby Fischer though I'm not sure how good a connection that is. I can't really think of a statistics movie at all, other qualifiers aside. Do you have any examples?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think i said Independence Day because of computers and stuff.
If you show ID4 to show the computer stuff, you'd better do it in order to show how ridiculous hollywood's perception of computers is.

Otherwise any student who knows anything about them will laugh at you, and you will deserve it [Smile] .

I think Pi would be fine, and it would be a great way to introduce them to the golden ratio and other number theory ideas. Whats so bad about the movie as far as being objectionable?

Other than that, A Beautiful Mind would be my choice. Again I don't see whats so bad about it. The brief talk about sex (without any details)?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

But it's not "what's bad about it" it's what the school system will allow. If you can't show a rated R movie, you just can't show a rated R movie.

Can you show a PG-13 movie?

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I wonder what makes those movies rated R then. Pi only had one scene that was even the slightest bit objectionable right at the end, and I wonder if you can just skip that part.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Skipping scenes will not do . . . it's an absolute. I am stretching the rules as it is, but there is a line there. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I am curious to see this movie for myself. Will I find it at Blockbuster, and if so, where?
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if you'll find it there, but you might. It would be under Sci-Fi or adventure (possibly drama). I have no clue why Sci-Fi but that's where my local video store put it. [Dont Know]

[EDIT: I'm so obbsessed that I have two copies of that movie. My aunt got me VHS, and when I got a DVD player (i.e. a computer [Wink] [Smile] ) I went out and bought it on DVD. [Big Grin] ]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ October 15, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Drama I think, and yes it would be there.

Its actually a very strange movie, but the plot is almost completely based on math, and most math types like it.

It also features the game Go, which I love.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

I'm going to learn how to play Go. Through comics! (capers off)

[ October 15, 2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Xavier
Member # 405

Go is my favorite game. I have this really awesome 3 inch thick board and polished wooden bowls both made from Japanese wood. I use 8mm glass stones. Boy does it look nice as a centerpiece [Smile] .

The game itself is what I love though, and I'm actually pretty good at it for a beginner. I have no one to play against anymore though!

My little brother and my roomate were both really into it, and we were playing several games a day, but then I got good enough that they couldn't beat me so they stopped playing.

Let that be a lesson to you, let your opponent win once in a while in order to keep them interested!

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What's that recent one where the girl is into astronomy but she's dying of leukemia? Well, I guess it's religious and she's not very well rewarded. Walk to remember, that's it. I was personally kind of annoyed, but oh well.

Groundhog day is interesting in figuring out how many iterations he went through, since there was apparently six months where he did nothing but throw cards into a hat. Also, meteorology is a science. Also "People think I just hold the camera and point it at stuff. But there is way more to it than that."

Ghostbusters shows research at the beginning.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
That was "A Walk to Remember". And I didn't really like it, and it was a tear-jerker.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
How about movies that have "alternative universe" type of plots? These type of movies demonstrate the concept of dependent/independent events.

Mr. Destiny, Sliding Doors, and, of course, Its a Wonderful Life are three movies that comes to mind.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Ooh, good ideas!

::applauds::

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.