FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Holiday Gift to First Book ($600+ donated) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hatrack Holiday Gift to First Book ($600+ donated)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, The main logistical problem with your suggestion (aside from its obvious gender bias), is that all sane male hatrackers would pick Ralphie. But since Ralphie is a JW, I assume she does not celbrate any holiday during this season and therefore would be unlikely to cooperate.

(Can you confirm or deny this Ralphie?)

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
See what I miss without the internet at home. *sniff*

This is a great idea, Rabbit. Thank you for organizing it. It is particularly apropos for a book forum. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
There's also the minor consideration that Ralphie might not be interested in prostituting herself that way. <laughs> Her minionship may not be purchasable.

And if we did that, what would motivate the girls?

[ December 09, 2003, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
While Ralphie's minonship might not be negotiable, Ralphie does have minions of her own. She can just assign a few of them to the project and it is all taken care of!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
But what about us women?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ralphie has male and female minions...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, what if you ARE a Wench?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Hi, I just found out that when you make an online donation in honor of "Hatrack River", it doesn't automatically report with the e-card how much you donated. If you would like your donation to add to our tally, please put the amount in the note you send.

Thanks

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's true - I cannot whore myself out for Christmas based on deeply held theological beliefs.

I can, of course, whore myself out any other time of the year.

"It's not that we're against whoring, it's that we don't like the roots Christmas has."

-My mother, every parent-teach conference, with some negligible modifications

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Ralphie, Does it help at all that we changed this from "Christmas Gift" to "Holiday gift" or do the roots of the word "Holiday" make that problematic as well. What if we called it an end of year gift -- or is that just disembling?

[ December 09, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Maybe we could offer a door prize to the person who brings us over the $600 mark (or am I thinking too small -- the $1000 mark).
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a Wench, dammit.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! More hobbits for me... [Wink]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Bump
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a dirty tramp. I'll whore myself out any time including Christmas.

"2 bucks, cold cash, up front."
-Calvin and Hobbes

[Razz]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*starts counting nickels* [Wink]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

[ROFL]

oh kate you know that for you it's half price.

[Wink]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*blushing with delight* I knew we had something special.

[ December 10, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

odouls268
Member # 2145

but of course. [Smile] I dont go giving my phone number to just anybody.

..that ive never met.

[Razz]

katharina
Member # 827

*glances wistfully at her non-ringing phone* But the reverse didn't seem to work...
odouls268
Member # 2145

It'll likely come when you least expect it. In the middle of a rainy boring workday.
odouls268
Member # 2145

well, it's rainy here. and boring, so i gave you a ring. But alas, no answer.

[Cry]

[Smile]

[ December 10, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: odouls268 ]

katharina
Member # 827

Oh no!! My phone isn't actually in my purse - which begs the question of where it is, and I couldn't quite say. I do lose it often, but I always find it again.

I'll call you when I find it. [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kat, are we going to see a landmark at 10,000 (which you are speedily approaching)?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

wow you are at 9800 even on posts kat!

I think the handy dandy gadget that will solve all your problems is this!

It has literally cut at least 10 minutes off of my morning routine. I have one on my purse, one on my keys and one one my cell phone. The pager base sticks to your refrigerator, making it more difficult to lose as well.

AJ

odouls268
Member # 2145

well, im at work right now, so you wouldnt be able to get me. but, post when you find it and ill call you. [Wink]
katharina
Member # 827

dave: Deal. [Smile]

AJ: My all-time favorite piece of furniture is my cherry-wood and marble stand by the door. I have a little ceramic bowl I got from the ceramics club, and it's just big enough to place the bowl (for my keys) and my purse on top. I attached a couple hooks on the wall above it for my coat, and I absolutely love it. This is the best investment I've made. I never lose my keys anymore, and everything on the wall instead of the couch and floor...

But my phone is another story. I haven't had it long enough to work all the kinks out yet. It will find a place soon, I suspect. As soon as I get tired of losing it constantly.

Hobbes: I've thought about a 10,000. I haven't done a landmark post yet - not a proper one. On the other hand, I talk about myself all the time, so I'm not really sure if there's much left to tell. [Smile]

[ December 10, 2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Phones would be easier if you didn't have to put them somewhere else from where they usually stay to recharge them all the time. I'm always forgetting mine on the charger, or else forgetting to PUT it on the charger and letting it run down. It may take a while for me to get the bugs out of that little subroutine in my brain. It's enough of an inconvenience if I ever forget it, though, that I'm definitely hard coding it into place, over and over.

In the "what were once luxuries are now necessities" category, the cell phone made the jump on about day 2 that I had it. How did we live without them? I use mine a dozen times a day, at least.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I tried that stand by the door technique. It doesn't work for me, I'm too scatterbrained and not consistent enough when I barge in the door when I arrive home, stuff just ends up flying everywhere!

And even if I try to get in a consistent habit, there will be the one day tha tI need something that I managed to put it somewhere else, normally at the worst time!

AJ

odouls268
Member # 2145

Kate: I saw on my caller ID that you tried to call me last night. The first time since my 17th birthday that I go to bed before midnight, and thats the night that you call.
::curses forces of fate::

[Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

It turns out I'd left my phone on the charger, so I called when I got home. I'll try Take Two tonight. [Smile]
odouls268
Member # 2145

did you end up talking to my father? or just hung up when the answering machine picked up?
katharina
Member # 827

I hung up when I realized it was past midnight there and it had rung four times. There was the Great Debate of whether or not to be rude and call late when I found my phone, or to be disingenous and call the next day at a reasonable and not mention finding the phone. Hanging up after four rings seemed a reasonable compromise. [Smile]
odouls268
Member # 2145

haha, indeed. wouldnt have been an issue any other day of the year. i wouldve been awake and picked up the phone. unless i was out barhopping.

of course our outgoing message often makes people reluctant to leave messages. Its my voice when i was like 17, grumpily asserting "you reached us. leave a message."

unfortunately, the only people that still leave messages are bill collectors. Maybe i should changed the message. "Youve reached me. I still have no money. Piss off. Leave a message"

katharina
Member # 827

*laugh* Now I want to call back just to listen to the message. I didn't quite get that far.
odouls268
Member # 2145

[Razz]
maybe ill give you a call and do the voice for ya
[Wink]

katharina
Member # 827

Your 17-year-old voice? *grin* Are you sure?
odouls268
Member # 2145

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA dont know if i could do the 17 year old voice. but i can do the gruff voice still. i think.
its been a while. im even polite when im bouncing these days.

ive gone soft. [Razz]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

You know it looks like our dollar count has stopped rising for the charity. Do you think we need to pull out Mack's thumping stick, or if we've just maxed out Hatrack generosity for this season?

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

Has Rabbit posted recently? Maybe it's still coming in, and she hasn't posted.

Or maybe we've tapped all the regulars. Considering the general age of this crowd, that's not bad.

I'll bet we can make it to $600 though.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I think she said she was going to be gone for a day earlier. She didn't post on the 10th and hasn't posted today so maybe she's just busy.

AJ

odouls268
Member # 2145

alrite, time for the hatrack bachelor auction to raise funds for the charity. ive got my fuzzy gstring ready to dance.
[Razz]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
1) If you didn't get my total Rabbit, on the card, it was a wopping $10.

2) The gender bias in my humorous motivational post was deliberate. Men are more likely to be interested in obtaining minions by $, while most of the females here, do not need such lowly ploys to aquire their minions.

If you women need motivation to donate, figure it out yourself. (I suggest the most donated is elected Queen Wench of the Day)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

"That was deliberate, that was deliberate."
-Gimli

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Hi Folks, The count is now up to date.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff!!!

I just heard an NPR report on a UNICEF study about literacy. They said that the best way to improve the economy of struggling nations was to educate girls. It had some strange data in there that I can't recall, but it was basically that for every girl you educate, the overall health of the people of that country improves by a measurable amount. The infant death rate drops measurably as well.

In other words, by our donations we are not only helping to educate other people, but we are making it possible for them to become parents of healthy babies.

Who, I assume, will also become educated, having more healthy babies...

etc.

It's a freakin' snowball!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

bump
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
They said that the best way to improve the economy of struggling nations was to educate girls.
That's fascinating. Brigham Young said if he had to choose between educating a daughter and educating a son, he'd educate the daughter.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They said that the best way to improve the economy of struggling nations was to educate girls.
That makes perfect sense to me, since, in most of the world, it is the women who are responsible for the raising/educating children. If a mother is educated, it is more likely that her children will be educated.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

Well, ma taught me how to read. dad taught me how to add. You figure it out.

Of course, im an excellent reader and shitty at math so...

But i tell ya, i watch movies like a champ.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.