FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question? Is this a big liberal board? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Question? Is this a big liberal board?
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I'm the only liberal here
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If one were to dobie this thread, which would be worse: Big Libel board or big liberal Broad?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
*adores Slashie*

Take that. [Razz]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka, I was actually considering Question? Is this a big bored liberal?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
AIM . . . an inexpensive toothpaste, I do believe [Razz]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
The board is to the right of the political forum I frequent most often. That said, it's quite a bit to the left of where it was before I left (c. 2000), having lost much of its quaint family-centric / Midwestern / LDS character and landing somewhere very slightly left of what the polls say median Americans believe.

Me? I'd have no problem being called a liberal...in the sense that Thomas Jefferson was a liberal. (Recent American perversions of the term don't make much sense.) If I had to choose a modern label, it would be a "1999 conservative," i.e. someone who agreed with much (but not all) of the Republican platform before the current Administration twisted it unrecognizeably.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

That would go along with my theory, that Jatraqueros tend to resist the powers that be. Since most of 2000 Clinton was still president.

I still waffle a bit between the idea that you can't legislate morality, and the idea that some things cannot be made moral, no matter how many people vote for them (i.e. slavery).

I mean, how is legislating to make a traditionally immoral thing acceptable different from legislating morality? (edit, bad example)

Okay, I'm having trouble coming up with one that wasn't adjudicated rather than legislated.

[ January 22, 2004, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Shan: [Wave]

Papa Moose: I'm pretty sure that picture was taken at my place. Or at least it could have been -- Tom gets all snoozy when he visits us.

I prefer to attribute it to his high level of comfort in our home, rather than to boredom, but YMMV.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, can I join the secret liberal group? I'll start the subversive campaign down under...

quote:
The only reason I asked was because I saw the traditional nonsense Bush basing all over the place and didn’t really see any support for him
Bush bashing doesn't mean you're a liberal. Just sensible. [Wink]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still waffle a bit between the idea that you can't legislate morality, and the idea that some things cannot be made moral, no matter how many people vote for them (i.e. slavery).

I mean, how is legislating to make a traditionally immoral thing acceptable different from legislating morality? (edit, bad example)

I can only assume you're complaining about the movement to give homosexuals equal rights.

Morality isn't being legislated -- nobody's promoting homosexuality or prohibiting heterosexuality. In fact, if this ridiculous persecution against homosexuals by the law were to end tomorrow, struck down by the Supreme Court, it would be a blow against the legislation of morality -- no longer would homophobic or fanatically religious conservatives be able to create laws based on religious bigotry to keep homosexuals from their birthright as American citizens to equal treatment in the eyes of the law.

Or were you referring to something else?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo rocks my face off! their post just made me smile a huge freaking grin!

[ January 22, 2004, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah yeah yeah, I’m the dyslexic one. I said the quote right from JFK and didn’t say that 2004 Democratic theme. Which really is:

“Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you!”

But anyway, now that I look really dumb….. How embarrassing. But their theme still holds true!

I never realized how much posting goes on here on this board. Pretty cool.

So you all going to watch the big debate tonight? I know liberals hate Fox News since they don’t control it. So I wonder if they’ll be about to get around their channel block to actually watch. I think I’ll watch Friends and CSI instead.

Fun fun fun.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know liberals hate Fox News since they don’t control it.
*heaves great sigh*
*hangs head*

I don't like the over-production of it. It's like a monster truck rally (George Bush Crushinates taxes on Monday. Monday Monday MONDAY!) But that's a beef I have with all the American news stations and more and more with the CBC (curse you CBC!).

Am I the only person who just wants a person who watches the news to be informed and not entertained?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's been a while since we've had a user obsessed with a single issue. It's kind of odd that Jay's personal obsession is the perceived failings of liberals -- which I suppose he's taking synonymous with "Democrats" -- but to each his own, right? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
He's amusing himself quite well. Can't argue with that.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, c'mon, it's okay, you can promote Ars here... You fancy-shmancy Mod, you.

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you do have to give this dude some respect for using the word "crushinate."
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think BtL used "crushinate," not Jay.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Phew! Now I can save my respect for somebody I actually want to give it to! Although not to myself, because apparently I can't read.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
*crushinates Saxon*
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!

Jay, your fascination with liberals is very interesting. Do you have any idea of how you came to be so biased about things?

I mean, really, you seem to be tilting at windmills. I don't know a single person who dislikes Fox News for anything but legitimate reasons, and I know plenty of conservatives who simply fail to watch the Fox News Network (or whatever it's called) since there are so many other better ways to access the news.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Jay's liberlophobia is proof that he's really a repressed liberal himself. Clearly, he's compensating for his own secret leanings toward the-political-position-that-dare-not-speak-its-name.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I wish I had been reading this durring the fun flaming, then I could've posted this:

quote:
This guy says "calm down"
And then if you guys didn't calm down I could've found more and more images and informed you that they were all trying to get you guys to calm down. Yah, that would've rocked. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah......ah......wow.

I haven't been so much offended by Jay's comments as.....um....dumbfounded?

He's definitely beaten the record for most jaw-dropping in a single thread.

All I can say is this -- Jay, Hatrack opened my mind. I actually hope you stick around, because maybe it'll open yours.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
"I used to know this liberal, and he was so liberal, and people picked on him and stuff."

"Were YOU, that little liberal?"

"No way! I used to beat him up and say, 'Why are you so Liberal!"

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
*Puts a check mark besides Slash's name under a column labeled "The MAN"*

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Do you have any idea of how you came to be so biased about things?

I guess because liberals are so silly all the time!
quote:

I mean, really, you seem to be tilting at windmills.

Tilting at windmills? Whaa…. http://www.tilting.com/ I like art. As long as it’s not subsidized by the government.
Oh cool! I found it. The internet rocks. http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/meanings/383100.html A phrase look up. Pretty neat. “Tilting at windmills” means Attacking Imaginary Enemies. No, liberals are very real. And scary. I know plenty of libs who hate fox news because they think it leans to the right. Maybe this is what you meant by legitimate reasons. But you see, I see Fox news as actually just reporting the news and letting it’s viewers deciding instead of the usual alphabet network way of reporting and giving opinions as you do.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
It bothers me that I can't tell if Jay is joking around or not.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, where are you? This is the very epitome of an Onanism thread.

Though, Jay is typing quite well one handed. Gotta give him that. [Smile]

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Lalo, I actually thought of a good example as I was getting into bed last night. The District of Columbia considered a law that minors over the age of 11 can have sex with persons no more than 4 years their senior. So an adult could have sex with a minor as young as 14 (assuming an 18 year old adult). I was in that age range when it was discussed, I don't know if it happened.

My first thought was about abortion. I don't really consider the protection of homosexuality as a minority status to be settled yet. I don't favor a constitutional amendment on marriage sanctity, though I don't favor instituting gay marriage either. Just like I don't believe in the republican plank of an anti-abortion amendment, but I also think abortion should only be publicly funded for therapeutic reasons.

Anyway, Jay, if you want to see a Hatrack debate on gay marriage I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the search feature. As a matter of fact, you could have started by checking FAQ's for newcomers .

saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
This is the very epitome of an Onanism thread.
Exactly why he has no reason to be relieved.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm still interested in hearing which social position OSC holds that Jay thinks is liberal. [Smile]
pooka
Member # 5003

OSC believes in welfare or something like that, I'm pretty sure. His stance on abortion is a mystery to me. But I don't watch FOX news, so I guess I'm not a conservative anymore.

Liberals and conservatives frequently don't know when each other are kidding. Recall the whole "Russia has been declared illegal and we are going to start bombing in 10 minutes" joke.

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty tough equate conservatives with Republicans and liberals with Democrats, which is what you seem to be doing.

I am, for the most part, an economic conservative. That's why I don't like George Bush!

I'm moderately conservative on economics and moderately liberal on social policy. That puts me directly at odds with the President.

Oh, plus I generally like the idea of smaller government. Homeland Security deparment, anyone?

Oh, and I like civil liberties. Which, you may be surprised to learn, is a traditionally conservative position. Maybe not Republican position, but a conservative one.

Wait.....Jay, who are we talking about exactly?

*confused*

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should retire the phrase "Tilting at windmills" and replace it with "looking for weapons of mass destruction."
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Slash, nice reference. I liked that movie better than it's cousin that gets more lovin'.

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I am about as Republican as we get Jay.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Thanks, Mr. Fool.

(punctuation fixed lest it call into question whether I was being sarcastic or merely obtuse.)

[ January 22, 2004, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who doubts the true "newbie-ness" of Jay?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I dunno. What are you suggesting?
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I didn't. But I'm gullible. And jet lagged.

(oh, btw hi rivka!)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That Jay is actually an "old-time" Hatracker pulling our collective leg.

Welcome home, imogen! [Smile]

[ January 22, 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

I think it's Rivka.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just jealous because Jay comes in as a newcomer and immediately has a post that goes 3 pages!!! It took me forever to get enough response to any of my posts to accomplish that feat!!

::note to self -- be more controversial::

[Wink]
Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, he's got a whole identity and everything. Do we know anyone else living in Grafton, WV?

I think he's for real. [Razz]

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And I think it's Slash!
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Slash IS rivka.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't bother with the rest of your post, but this needs a response

quote:
But you see, I see Fox news as actually just reporting the news and letting it’s viewers deciding instead of the usual alphabet network way of reporting and giving opinions as you do.
And the response is...

Which US news outlet (radio, TV or print) has shown US soldiers questioning why they are in IRAQ or talking candidly about low morale?

See, the fact is that we have faced an almost total blackout of negative news on the war from the front lines. I don't necessarily blame the media for this, except that they "embedded" themselves with the troops and thus became part of the story instead of maintaining a distance from it in order to at least maintain an aura of objectivity.

Where do you get the reports about US soldiers feelings? From the UK and Canada (for English speakers).

And frankly, we don't have a single news outlet that even comes close to BBC World News. CNN used to be close but they seem to have sold out. NPR is good, but always seems to take the "quirky" side of every issue for reporting and thus misses the main thrust much of the time.

I generally like the Christian Science Monitor for it's reportage.

But the ONLY print source that's done a decent job of balanced reporting is, in my opinion, The Economist

If you haven't looked at it yet, you should!

Fox is just plain crap in comparison. Some of the other TV news shows are worse than Fox. Some are better. But they are all well below my expectations. And sinking.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
He’s probably Anastasia.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.