FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter "tons of spoilers" review thread. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Harry Potter "tons of spoilers" review thread.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
yes, you are the only one that didn't like it. [Wink]
[Razz]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the movie yesterday and really enjoyed myself.

I liked the mood and setting better than the first two. Hogwarts aligns more closely to my imagined one than the previous attempts.

I have two complaints: The Patronus not being explained and the scene in the Shrieking Shack. What irked me in the Shack was the dialogue. Sirius and Remus are arguing about killing "him". Harry believes he is the object of their concern. I thought this was too contrived. I don't remember if the book did this but it is just SILLY.

Overall I thought this was a better presentation than the previous ones.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the third book in a while, but you need Harry and gang to think that HE is the object of Remus and Sirius' plan, not Pettigrew. Contrived or not, that was the point of that scene in the book and movie. I thought it worked out well and it actually played pretty close to how I imagined it. Actually, there were a few scenes that played closely to how I imagined it. The first sight of the Dementor on the train and Harry's response (and Lupin's save) was right on. The first Buckbeak scene was right on as well as as the Buckbeak trial and "execution" (along with Dumbledore's obvious attempts to distract Fudge).

Others were fairly different, though still good. I did wish to see the quidditch scene with Harry flying and looking down at row upon row of Dementors pointing up at him. Them flying around was cool, but it seemed creepier with them on the ground and still being able to affect him way up in the air.

I also missed the Knight who took the job guarding the painting door of the Gryffindor's suite. I liked that he was in the background running around and saying "Ha!" but I missed him as the guard.

Groovy,

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it just the theater I saw the film in, or did anybody else notice all the blurry scenes... I mean there were a number of scenes where nothing was quite in focus which really bothered me!
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Must have been the theater. While the DP of this film shot a movie with heavy blacks and grays, it was still a sharp and clear picture where I saw it.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a shame, because I went to what I always thought was a top-notch theater. Guess I'll have to see it somewhere else! I know other people who saw it where I did that had the same complaint but on a different viewing.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
At the theater I was at for the midnight showing it was kind of blurry at the beginning and several points throughout the movie. But when I saw it a second time at a different theater it was nice and clear. [Dont Know] Don't know what would make that happen though.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
fil, I missed Sir Cadagon too!! I was just waiting for him to show up and he never did!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I did miss him too, but also missed Nearly-Headless Nick (cause he's played by John Cleese and I like John Cleese).
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. It's funny how they gave hints of the headless hunt going on (with all the ghost horses passing through at breakneck speed (no pun intended) and ghosts we didn't recognize) but they never really told us what was up. I'm glad they included it in its own small way.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the giant screen version on Friday.

I liked the director's choice of filmstock for this movie. The coarse grain and stark contrast gave a darker feel to the film.

The Marauder's map was awesome, especially its use in the final credits. Did anyone notice the behavior of the footprints in the Smoke Bomb Shop on the map?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and the lake... Isn't that the same lake that the 1st years cross in a boat? This one was some icky little forest pond. You could have walked around it. Considering that the lake comes in again in "Goblet of Fire" this lake must be a different lake.
You are right. The dementor attack took place by an "icky little forest pond," while the lake itself is the large one Harry flies across on Buckbeat. (What a chill-inducing scene!)

I saw it again yesterday for the 3rd time. Am I the only one who took this long to notice that, when Harry produces the patronus charm to save himself and Sirius from the dementors, you can actually see the head of the stag surging in the white shield?

Sometimes I'm a bit slow on the draw, I think.

[edited to fix grammar]

[ June 21, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: FoolishTook ]

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Why they added that I don't understand
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or did Harry never receive permission from Sirius to go to Hogsmeade?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it, Loved it. Did not perv over Dan Radcliffe.

quote:
I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
*snort*

I loved the ending, and the credits, too.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.