FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WenchCon III Planning Thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: WenchCon III Planning Thread
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That's okay, rivka, she doesn't want to come see me, either. Even though I sent her nekkid pictures. *sigh*
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*sniffle* I know, but I thought we had shared something special!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*offers ice cream*

This is not a good night. Broken hearts are littering the floor around here.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I *want* to come see everyone I met and more people. But I *can't* take a year off work. Unless someone wants to marry me and bring me to America?

quote:
I know, but I thought we had shared something special!
Please, I thought that shower we took was supposed to be our secret [Frown]

[ December 05, 2004, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I be first in the I want to marry Kama and bring her to America line?

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

sure

[Cool]

edit:

I'll marry a guy who gives me this ring.

[ December 05, 2004, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it's less than a hundred bucks. You're sellin' yourself pretty cheap, Kama. Don't you want to hold out for the thousand-dollar ring?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

My maintenance is pretty expensive. I thought I'd let them buy a cheap ring so they can afford whatever comes next.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah! Gotta love truth in advertising. [Big Grin]

Although it is a very elegant ring.

Olive - I'm going to be in the office for most of the afternoon, but I'll take a break and run by the place I'm thinking of.

I should have the details to post by early evening.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
cool.

Ben and Lindsay were here for a visit this weekend. Since they met at WenchCon II, the were very encouraging about wanting me to do it again (though Ben called it "Nerdfest"). The even volunteered to help out. [Smile]

So, what do you guys think about doing it in March? The wedding is in April, right? I'm thinking March would be out of the way of other events but still be considered the 'off season' by hotels.

Whaddaya think?

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I think Olivia needs to IM me.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think March is much better than January - January is too soon for a lot of people. The end of March would be almost two months after the wedding. Great idea.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, you totally have a deal. Come on over to America and I will buy you that ring to marry you.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
After the wedding? Bobndana are in April.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

My statement is true if you, like my brain, substitue May for March.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*snort* However, IRL, early- to mid-March might be preferred, since BobNDanaCon is the first weekend in April.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'm IN a wedding on March 19 in Georgia.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Prolix, the least you could do is buy the ring and have it delivered to her. Be spontaneous and surprise her - women like that.

Of course, they also like TROs against stalkers. [Big Grin]

I checked three hotels in the immediate vicinity of where I was thinking (Peachtree Industrial and Holcomb Bridge Road) - I'll have to call Monday and get price quotes. The Hilton had a one bedroom going for $70ish a night, but I'm not sure how we're defining cheap.

All three places: Marriot, Hilton and Holiday Inn mentioned the possibility of a group discount for a convention, so that is a possibility.

There's also a nice-ish hotel in downtown Decatur - walking distance to the Decatur Square courtyard with funky little stores and eateries.

I'll call them and see what their average two-bedroom rate is for the weekend.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ok, the Holiday Inn in Decatur has a two-bed room for $104 a night, which makes it $52 a person.

If you belong to AAA, you might be able to get a discount on that.

Depending on what kind of numbers we're aiming for, I can call their sales department tomorrow and see if we can get an additional discount for a package-convention deal.

-Trevor

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Check how many people are allowed to sleep in the two-bed room, its often 3 or 4 or more.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ya know, that thought had not even occured to me.

I'll add that to the list of questions for the sales staff tomorrow.

-Trevor

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i worked in hotels for 5 years. almost all major chains (hilton excluded) and not once did i ask or care, none of us did, how many people were in a room. unless they were causing trouble then i threw the firecode book at them.
as for AAA. as long as you tell the clerk you belong to AAA in the reservation they will book it at the AAA rate and then not check at the desk.

oh the deception!

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
March will work! *just spent $150 on fabric for new garb to wear for wenchcon (including several outfits for her and several for the baby)*

*intends to wear it other places, too, just so you all don't worry*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sure. Move it farther into foaling season. I'm not going to get to go, now. ::sniff::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Sorry, we didn't mean to foal up.

Olive, how many people came to WenchCon the last time? How many rooms were rented? And what is the target price for a hotel room?

-Trevor

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Where is this all happening again?

Kama, $99 is too cheap even for a simple downpayment.

Let alone for services rendered...even if you do have to say airfare not included.
[Evil]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

At the moment we're exploring Atlanta or the immediate vicinity thereof.

And while you can never put a price on love, it really is a nice ring.

-Trevor

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If 3 or 4 people are in a room, though, sometimes people have to double up on beds, and trying to fit 4 people in 2 double beds can be a bit much, when they're not family.

Plus, anyone who shares with me will have to put up with tripping over a playpen/portacrib. Just some things to consider.

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
People don't actually sleep at these gatherings. Maybe for a few hours, but not necessarily at night, basaically just whenever their bodies collapse. We could probably have 5 people to two beds without ever having a real conflict.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

We also tended to sleep in shifts.
Hobbes
Member # 433

It's a lot like coal mining.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention many of us sleep on the floor. Personally, I like sleeping on the floor.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Weirdo.
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man if I come DO NOT let me have any Bawls this time OK?! I'm actually feeling pretty sick right now like I did at Wenchcon II. Yay for staying up 30-50 hours with 1 hour sleep, and a whole lotta caffiene.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

OK, but do you want wood for some ore?

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hobbes, I've found that more revelry gets done better if you get a few hours here and there. Especially if there's a fairly organized "down time" and everyone does something to relax, be it tv watching or sleep or a bath or whatever. Granted, it does tend to be a few hours here and there, and it's rarely in the night (unless you count 5 am as night because it's still dark), but still, I'm all for those who want beds being able to afford them.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody seemed to have any problems with squishing at least 4 people into a 2 bed room at KamaCon. KetchupQueen, you can request not to share a room with that many people, as long as you and your roommate(s) are ok with paying more.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Kama and I slept in the same bed at KamaCon, and that worked out fine. There was also lots of sleeping in shifts and on the floor.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. I forgot to add that I'm interested in attending, however, I won't really know till after the first of the year. I'd need to catch a ride with someone if possible (I'd happily pay 50 percent of the gas money) 'cause my car is named "Old Blue" for a reason.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Space Opera, I need to stress that I don't have a problem with sharing a bed or anything; I just really think we do need to keep it as reasonable as possible. I can't afford too much, and I have constraints on how much I'm going to be in and out, since I do have a baby who will be coming with me.
Kama
Member # 3022

<-- is just one of 2 people who slept with Katie at KamaCon [Wink] [Razz]
katharina
Member # 827

But you saw more action. [Razz]
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
::starts to comment, thinks better of it::
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[ROFL]
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
5 people to two beds
That rules out pizza with anchovies.

Butterbeans anyone?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Last year we has around 22-25 people, some of them not sleeping at the hotel(and some with rooms didn't even sleep there, so whatever).

It came out to about $75.00 per room per night, after tax was added, and the meeting rooms were $50.00 per day. That was in the 'burbs. I bet if we went further north, it would be even cheaper.

Anyway, that was last year's pricing.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm... *starts saving her pennies*
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
i say it gets hosted in Olivia's living room!
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
March is more doable for me than January, as I would have more time to save money. Also, I was getting nervous about another Con in January, as last year I missed my nephews' birthday party due to WenchCon II. I really didn't want to miss their birthdays two years in a row, especially since I don't get to see them that often.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
If we do this in March and I find someway to go, which I'm not sure I'll be able to do but will certainly try, I will be seeing Hatrackers every month for four months in a row. That's kinda cool/scary. Oh, and that's assuming I get to meet maui babe while I'm there in January.

Considering all the other travel I'm doing this winter/spring, however, and that I'm trying to save for a motorcycle, it's kinda unlikely I'll make it. Unless I get a really big tax return... [Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.