FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I’m blocking hotel rooms for wedding guests . . . (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: I’m blocking hotel rooms for wedding guests . . .
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
First post in thread:

quote:
And, before you ask, yes, you are invited. Yes, I meant you.
[Smile]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
ppsssssttt...

quote:

And, before you ask, yes, you are invited. Yes, I meant you.

First post. [Big Grin]

Edit: Bah. [Razz]

[ October 12, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Great minds . . .
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I was thinking that when you beat me by seconds on the fortune cookie thread. If I hadn't answered that phone call... [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Wow! A chance to become "real" and witness the internet wedding of a lifetime.

Hmmmmmmmmm! I wonder if my husband would accompany me?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Only one more thing to figure out...

When the usher asks whether I'm a guest of the bride or the groom, what do I say? [Razz]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Pick whichever side looks a little light. [Wink]

[ October 12, 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Boon
unregistered

But it would be so much more fun give a twenty minute explaination to the hapless usher...

Then again, knowing how utterly cool Bob and Dana are, the usher would just cut me off with "You must be from Hatrack" the second I said "internet".

Way to kill my fun before it even starts. [Big Grin]

I figure I'll just sit with someone, instead of on one side or the other.

dkw
Member # 3264

[Big Grin] We're not asking people to take sides. It sets a bad precedent.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* Sure can tell you've done couples' counseling, dkw! [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
There are no sides. At least not AFTER the wedding. Then it's one big happy family, no?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Now whose being naive?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
We're coming, and would much prefer Hatrack Hotel. [Smile]
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

"Hatrack Hotel, like Bates Motel but with a H"

Hobbes [Smile]

[ October 12, 2004, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
For dkw [Kiss]

You didn't have to delete that post, you know...

[Big Grin]

[ October 12, 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
bumped for Farmgirl. [Wave]
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was hoping to find a way to come, but we may have a conflict that month.

If I did manage to come, my travel restrictions on the day of the event would be the same as rivka's (however, I have no qualms about walking 3 miles [Wink] ).

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Put me down for a strong maybe. I am going to get my schedule for next semester settled by the end of next week or so, and then I should be able to figure out whether I can come.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Got the contracts from the hotels today. I am annoyed. The band and the reception venue both managed to send two copies so that I could return one and keep one – none of the hotels did. Also one of them changed my name to “Diana,” two of them spelled “Radcliffe” wrong, and one I had to cross out “Williams” and write in “Williams-Scopatz” so Bob’s family wouldn’t feel left out. And only one of them included an addressed envelope for me to return the contract. [Grumble]

Tonight I get to call and cancel the caterer we’d booked, since the place we moved the reception to has in-house catering. I’m going to hate making this call – I’m such a softie. [Frown]

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
you know, Dana, how are your guests going to get into the rooms if you're blocking them?
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Pthbt.
ElJay
Member # 6358

*snicker*
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
oh gee- punwit -- thanks for bumping this for me. I didn't see it until just now!

Hmm... I have been hoping that when the time comes next year, I can borrow my sister's RV, so I don't have to use a hotel at all. But it is too early to know that yet (whether or not it conflicts with any of her uses). So we need to know this far in advance??

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

<sends Dana the strength of the Tortoise and a Mafia Aria with support cumberbund>

Just a little help for your phone call, my love!

dkw
Member # 3264

Well, that pretty much sucked. [Frown]

But at least it's over.

Farmgirl, you don't have to decide now, I was just trying to get a vague idea of how many rooms to block. They'll hold the rooms until March 15.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Ivygirl pointed out that at the current rate of gas prices, the RV may cost as much to DRIVE there as it would take to book a hotel room.

So, in other words, there is a possibility either way, and I hope to let you know before the Henna party, at least.

Either way, we will be there.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, did you survey the entire thread? Boon is contemplating driving and has offered however many empty seats she may have. That might help offset some expense.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Absolutely. And NOTHING is stopping me from coming this time!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yes -- this time I went back through and read ALL the posts..... this is exciting that so many people are coming!

I'm sure between Boon, punwit and I, we will probably had a mid-west car-pool. Or at least car-convoy if there are too many of us for one vehicle.

Plaid -- how far out in Missouri do you live? Do you want us to pick you up at a train station along the way, or meet you somewhere?

We're thinking residing in the hotel with the other Hatrackers will be more fun that trying to find a place for the RV. However, now my boys are also contemplating going (not to the wedding, so much, but just to meet Hatrackers) because I think they are feeling left-out because Ivygirl and I talk about Hatrack people so much.

Anyway, I have those dates blocked on my 2005 calendar, reserved for vacation at work, and it would have to be something really important to make me miss this wedding! So plan on us -- at least Ivygirl and I will attend the celebration, for sure.

Farmgirl

Shigosei
Member # 3831

Okay, it looks like I will be arriving at the Des Moines airport at 11 pm. Is there anyone else arriving then, or are the people shuttling between Des Moines and Ames still going to be at it that late?

I plan to fly out around 2 pm on Sunday, which means I'll probably need to be at the airport around noon. How does that work?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I don't know that anyone else has booked yet, so that's a very difficult question to answer. [Smile] But we'll get you taken care of. I'm assuming you mean 11 pm Friday, yes? I'll start an arrival and departure thread a little closer to April to work all the details out.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Yeah, 11 pm on Friday night. I haven't actually booked a flight yet either, but this one looks good.
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana! I didnt' see this before, and Dan must not have either. Of course we'll be there - and you still wannt me to play, right? I haven't started asking you about specifics yet, 'cause it's probably still a little early, but I just wanted you to know that we aren't backing out!

(I didn't read all three pages - if you need to know something else that I missed, can you e-mail me? I've been sick and not really up on stuff this week.)

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Dan saw it. He posted. [Smile]

We definitely still want you to play.

Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. Guess he just forgot to tell me. Oh well!

And, yay! I'm glad. [Smile] I'm really looking forward to it.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, are we supposed to have received the dress design and fabric yet? Because we have not. :-\
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Icky going to wear a dress?

[Eek!]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Sorry, no. It is packaged, addressed, and sitting on my dining room table. I had to get the measurment cards from the tux place before I could mail it. (Which I did last week.) It will be in the mail on Monday.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Kama, should I put ribbons in my hair too, or will that just make me look gay?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Better put them in the beard instead.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Big Grin]

::scribbles notes::

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[ROFL]
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hotel rooms, wedding guests, are you two getting married? [Eek!]

Hobbes [Smile]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Show up April 2nd and find out.

Bring a camera.

rivka
Member # 4859

But make sure it's not a better camera than mack's.

. . . she'll want to borrow it. And she has swords.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*kerBUMP*

Ok, I know some people have tickets. I'm trying to figure out mine.

Anyone else currently contemplating flying into the Twin Cities on Friday morning? Or want to? Or will be driving through about then? I'd like to share a ride (or rental car) with someone, if at all possible.

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I'd be interested in sharing a rental. You'll have to drive, but i'll share the cost. I wonder if it would be cheaper to fly into the twin cities. I'll have to check it out.

In short, or maybe not so short, I'd be willing to share the cost of a rental car.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cool. [Smile] I'm still comparing flights into MSP and DSM -- the options seem to have changed from when I checked a few weeks ago.

But I will keep that in mind! [Smile]

Derrell
Member # 6062

Yeah, I just checked travelocity and the cheapest I found from Phoenix to Minneapolis was $275. That was arriving on Friday and returning on Sunday. Would we be leaving on Sunday? It would be a nice thing to know if we're sharing transportation back to Mnneapolis or Des Moines.

By the way, where's the best place online to get airline tickets?

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Des Moines from Phoenix was $284 on travelocity.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.