FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » $500 Mac! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $500 Mac!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"To be fair, I think you need to say that anyone who cared about the look of the cases had no where else to go except a few boutique PC makers."

Although if we're going to say that, we have to also say, to be fair, that Apple IS a boutique PC maker.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
They're much bigger than other boutique maker, I believe, at 3.5% of the market.

But, in a sense, you're right: they market to a customer base with particular sensibilities.

[ January 13, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
RAM by itself is about 1.2 inches high [Smile] .

But yes, it is possible to make very small PCs. The Mac Mini, though, is one more step in Apple's digital hub idea. While it is a computer, that's not what sells it.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

You know, I really think the institutional usage of the Mac Mini could be big if it were to catch on.

It fits in a drawer, can easily be hooked up to a projector cable, and doesn't need to be particularly looked after in terms of security against spyware/viruses.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to my brother, and he sent me a link to logisysus.com and I found this one in particular
http://www.logisysus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=189
it has everything needed but DVI I think.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yep, sure does, and it fits just in the size requirements.

Of course, even without the operating system, at the minimal specs to compare to the Mac Mini, its $837 off the shelf.

Buying those parts independently (the processor, the RAM, the hard drive, the DVD/CD-RW drive) might be able to bring your cost down to around, what, $600 ($130 for all those)?

raventh1
Member # 3750

Not to mention support for windows, that I don't want to do. [Smile] No offense but I'm going to start recommending macs so I don't have to do support anymore.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Makes a certain amount of sense, particularly as most of the people you're recommending for'll at least have a monitor already if not a usb mouse and keyboard (and those can be had for < $30).

edit: also, your typical consumr is unlikely to find a decent quality premade system for under $350, and often more like $400. The Mac Mini just isn't that much more.

[ January 13, 2005, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks I'll be sticking with my dual G5. Still, I'll be curious to see how it pans out, since plenty of people who follow what Apple's up to (myself included) were sure Apple would never, ever do this.

Edit: Oh yeah. Steve, where are those 3GHz G5s? Right, thanks.

[ January 13, 2005, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

I would be interested in getting one, and if I werent planning on getting a psp in about a month and a half I probably would be saving a little more to get one. (I just bought a nice Dell 2001fp so, I don't have much spending money at the moment.)
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(I just bought a nice Dell 2001fp so, I don't have much spending money at the moment.)
Isn't that an oximoron. [Smile]
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Why I'll be getting a windows computer at some point:

http://research.microsoft.com/~nick/polyphony/

Check out the PDF on solving the santa problem in particular.

*drool*

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.