FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm Hooked (An Appreciation of Two Great Things) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I'm Hooked (An Appreciation of Two Great Things)
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This is terrible...I'm so tempted to go....rent...*gets a grip*

I just can't! I can't possibly make it if I have something ELSE with which to be obsessed. I'll have to wait for a better time for that. *looks at calendar* Hm. seems like I can pencil in some good obsessing early in the summer.

I'll check back here then. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Noeman- Please give us your opinions, I'd love to hear them. Put spoiler warnings on them.

Pretty please?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, I heartly urge you to become obsessed. It's well worth it. And, as was said to me, there's only a limited amount of episodes, so it can't go on forever...

... or can it? [Evil]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

8. "Out of Gas"

Sublime.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

9. "Ariel" or "Ohmygoodnessthosepeopleareevilgah"

I loved this episode but for one thing. The Blue-Hands. Clearly, Joss Whedon has an eye from the utmost cruel, grusome and painful deaths he could possibly imagine. Between the reavers and the Blue Hands, the evil that pursues our heroes is almost unbelieveable. In fact, it is unbelievable.

That little painful-death gadget is the first thing I've seen in Firefly that makes me raise my eyebrows (before covering my eyes in horror, naturally). The fact that it works on everyone in the vacinity but them can be explained by something they've done to themselves, which also explains their pure evilness, their total lack of compassion, their apathy. But we could have felt that without the blood.

I hate it when people feel the need to make something so horribly repellant that we cannot look, and once we see we cannot forget. For me, watching on my computer screen, this guy dying, screaming, is less than two feet away. I will not be watching this episode again anytime soon, which is a shame, because besides that, it was a brilliant, brilliant episode.

My favourite bit by far was Simon's "hero-save-the-day" thing in the hospital [Smile] . Shows how truly great as a doctor he is. And the hospital body scan thing was pretty awesome too. I wish we had something like that [Big Grin] .

I can't believe that no one has yet figured out that River picks up other people's emotions, or even mused on the possibility.

Oh, I also liked the way they/Mal resolved 'the twist' (unamed for spoiler issues).

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sublime? Nothing else to say about Out of Gas?

::disappointed::

The killing device of the Hands of Blue bugged me too, but not for the same reason. It just seemed kind of hokey and unbelievable to me. When I saw the guys dying, blood spurting everywhere, screaming at the top of their lungs I just thought "Yeah, right. Fake!" Only thing in Firefly that has caused that reaction for me, but the strength of the rest of the episode keeps this one in my top 3 list, along with the other 4 or 5 I've listed.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I figured 'Sublime' would not be enough! I'll be more detailed [Wink] ...

In short, I loved it to bits. Again, this was one of the more sensitive ones, and by the end, that last line in the present, I was definately watery eyed, but not even particularly because it was sad, but because it was beautiful...

We saw different sides of the characters too, as they faced not only death but also abandoning what had been their home (am I giving too much away).

The three interweaving stories worked perfectly. I never was annoyed that one was cutting into another. The surreal colours (bright yellow and green of the past, colours melting into blue in the present) gave the whole thing a really eerie, dizzying sense, as if we were the ones loosing blood and short of air.

The last flashback was really brilliant. It didn't matter at all that it was out of order in any story, it was truly incredible. I would have done one thing differently, however. I would have made the colours of that scene more brilliant- when the camera turned the colours were dusty and no longer the eerie greens and yellows. I'm assuming that this was intentional and intended to give us the full spectrum, but I would have made that spectrum brighter and more vivid.

In short, Sublime. [Wink]

twinky
Member # 693

You're almost at the really good ones.

Every time I've started to watch the series with someone and we start creeping closer to the last three I start... well. I guess I shouldn't tell you how I start feeling, since that might give stuff away.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

NO HINTS! Or I'll never bring myself to watch them because I'll be too afraid!

[Angst]

Teshi
Member # 5024

10. (I think?) "Torture" or "War Stories".

Excellent episode. Nice to see everyone eager to get involved in a unified mission [Big Grin] .

Nice also to see River's little trick (deliberately vague), although I wish everyone would communicate with one another a little better. If I was Kaylee and I had seen what River did I would not only be terrified of her, which was extremely sad, by the way, compared with them racing around laughing at the beginning, I would tell Simon. It's getting increasingly unbelievable that no one's yet guessed what has happened to River when it's not exactly subtle.

Although maybe Kaylee has guessed but hasn't the will to believe? Perhaps something will happen in the next episode.

There was a lot of Torture in this episode. I'm allowed to say this because I knew there was going to be from having watched all the others up to this point and knowing vaguely what was going to happen from the blurb on the back of the DVD case. Being prepared made it a little easier. Nevertheless, at some points, I had only one headphone earpiece held over my ear. (So I only had one ear, you could say, ha ha.)

It was easier than the previous episode, partially because I knew it was going to happen, but also because I felt that there was a reason. In the last episode, it felt somewhat random- a bunch of people just doing their jobs. This does not make me cringe or look away any less, however. People in pain are people in pain.

Jayne is hilarious: "Free soup!" ALthough as a character I think he deserved what happened to him in the last episode at then end.

Oh, one thing threw me a little; at one point, Zoe (who is an AWESOME character, by the way) did a bullet-avoiding roll (you know the kind I mean), and came up with two guns blazing. Yech. Does this actually work? Do people in a gun battle actually do roly-polys and it evades bullets?

Favourite Line, was a great stereotype-smasher: (from Mal to Jayne, Wash and Zoe) "No I don't!" For spoiler reasons, I cannot explain any further than that. Watch the episode. It's at the end.

Oh, and finally, I think Wash and Zoe's relationship is one of the best ever portrayed in a tv show.

[Smile]

[ April 02, 2005, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] I loved reading that.

And yeah "No I don't!" is a great monent.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

11. "Trash"

*giggle*

This one was very lighthearted. It's so nice to have one when I'm not existing in a state of constant fear and panic on the edge of my seat. I enjoyed the change.

This one was good, but not outstanding. The reason I'm a little lacking in things to say is that I just watched "The Message"...

12. "The Message"

So, I cried. What's it to you? [Smile]

I really loved, loved, loved this one. It was the ideal episode so far, combining the best elements of Firefly with a new landscape- we haven't seen anything but desert before this and now we've got snow. A good change, a good tone to the episode.

I can't really delve all that much, because it's another of these very-close-to-spoiler ones. Um, there was some great character development going on, for them all. That's definately one of the episode's strengths. I'm starting to know the characters, and laugh at the jokes that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

The chase reminded me a bit of the computer game Tyrian, the way it was shot, which made me smile. It was definately a Firefly: The Video Game moment.

Also, Simon et al. seem to finally be acknowledging River's talents as a mind reader, empath, or, as she states in this episode, "I can kill you with my brain." Useful talent, that. I wonder if I'll ever see it used.

The characters are really believable. I love the way Simon tries to say the right thing but it always fails miserably (and yet he's totally charming still, jeez). I love the way Kaylee is so cheerful but has such a serious and easily hurt side, too. I love they way tough Jayne's fuzzy side: "It's not a girl's name!" and his hat [Big Grin] .

What else can I say about this episode? I'm dying to know about Book, and what his story is, but I'm not terribly hopeful that I ever will. Perhaps in the movie. He's clearly got a lot going for him, just like the others on board- they are the top of their field.

Yeah, so I cried. And you're very right, Noemon and twinky, the music at the end was very beautiful. I'll have to go back and learn it [Smile] .

It makes me sad that there are only two episodes left.

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
So, I cried. What's it to you? [Smile]
It's okay. [Smile]

quote:
It makes me sad that there are only two episodes left.
Just wait until you've watched them.
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, so many people who like Firefly too. I knew the fans had to be somewhere, just didn't know where. Wish it didn't take me so long to go to OSC's website, (especially since he's my favorite writer). I guess it's better late than never.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Really Teshi? This is the first place where we've really disagreed--this episode does very little for me compared to most. There is some good character development in it, true, but the story itself I didn't care for.

Twinky is right, by the way--the next two episodes are amazingly good. Especially Objects in Space.

I don't know if we'll find out more about Book in the movie or not. Anybody else heard anything about that? River's story is going to have a prominent role in the film, or so I've read.

twinky
Member # 693

I don't think we learn anything about Book in the movie. I hope we do if there's a trilogy, though...
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Isn't the "I can kill you with my brain" scene in "Trash"?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Concerning my weepiness: It was two in the morning, as you can see by the time so it MAY have been just the late hour. But yes, I did really like this episode. It guess it appealed to my sappy side [Wink] [Dont Know] .

Eh. I wasn't bawling but I did wipe a tear or two. I think there was an element of the time and what had happened in the day and the fact that I was alone in my room in the middle of the night. But I did cry. Hee hee.

Anyway, going back to "Trash" I think plot-wise this was pretty weak. Some good things happened, and there was some great moments, but overall it didn't seem to hang together so well as the others. It was one of those "Suprise! Everything came out as planned!" ones, and although I liked the way they did it, and they steered clear of cliche, it was a little bit... pedestrian, if you know what I mean.

Hilarious, thought.

Blacwolve, you are right. It was in 'Trash', that line of River's [Smile] .

Anyway, only two more to go, and they're the one's everyone seems most excited about! [Big Grin]

Noemon
Member # 1115

The only episode that I tear up during is Objects in Space.

I really enjoyed Trash, but it's definitely a popcorn episode, kind of like Shindig in my mind (although I think that Shindig is by far better). Still, I love the episodes that have reoccurring characters, and I really love the "I appreciate that. Not, you know, a lot" line. There are all sorts of problems with the plot of Trash, though, if you look at it closely at all.

Hmmm...I think I have different standards of plot-tightness for the popcorn episodes than I do the heavier ones.

twinky
Member # 693

I find the best episodes are mostly the ones written and directed by Joss. It's his baby and it shows.

But I get shivers and feel the urge to cry (though I haven't; I don't cry often or easily) at the end of The Message, and at one point in Heart of Gold. Edit: there are a couple of other points, too. Usually around where the composer uses one particular progression that I think resolves to D major.

And "I *knew* you let her kiss you" makes me want to beat my head against the wall [Big Grin]

[ April 05, 2005, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

To Noemon: I think that's because you're more involved in the emotion ones; there's other things to think about. You're not wound up in what's going on so much so your eyes a wider open for problems. I agree that Shindig and Trash are similar in fluffiness. However, I liked both of them a lot because after the grusomeness and the torture etc. they are such a relief on my proverbial poor nerves!

To the general public: I just had a thought about the one I called "Torture" but is actually "War Stories". Book says, "The Bible is fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps" but I'm fairly sure he isn't aiming for kneecaps when he's shooting, and none of the crew says anything about the fact he's just killed a bunch of people (although Book blithely comments that Simon probably hasn't yet).

EDIT to twinky: I don't cry often, either. I'm not a weepy watcher. It usually takes an innocent caught up in things over his or her head to make me- children (I cried the most I ever have in a Japanese film called "Nobody Knows" which I saw on my birthday, of all days), young people going off to war to die ("Goodbye Mr. Chips"), and the end of the Message. I probably wouldn't have cried had my roomate been home, but I allowed myself that one grace because there was no one home but me [Smile] .

[ April 05, 2005, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

twinky
Member # 693

Book doesn't kill anyone in War Stories. To me it was pretty clear that he was shooting the legs out from under Niske's men (the aforementioned kneecaps).

Similarly, he wouldn't let Jayne kill "Laurence" in the first episode.

Teshi
Member # 5024

Okay, I'm pretty sure you're right, then. I wasn't watching very closely- and there wasn't really all that much time to see. I only watched that one once and I'm sure you've been through several times!
twinky
Member # 693

He does, however, use an awfully big gun. I'd love to see him use Veera. [Big Grin]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I *knew* you let her kiss you" makes me want to beat my head against the wall
That's the line that made me like the show. That's so real!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Big Grin] .

Everytime Jayne gets out Vera/Veera/whatever and appears with all his ammunition looking exactly like the action hero, it makes me laugh because he's such a great character. The hat was priceless.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, capable though Book seems to be of violence, he definitely makes an effort to spare life when he can. I also had the impression that he was shooting to maim in War Stories. So, Teshi, do you have any theories on Book's secret? I should probably wait until you've seen the full series to ask, but I'm curious to know what you've come up with.

I'm not really one to cry at movies either. It happens occasionally, but I can't actually think of a specific instance in which it has, so it must not happen too often.

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
That's the line that made me like the show. That's so real!
But... but... AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHH! So deliciously frustrating.

The look on Inara's face... just priceless. [Big Grin] I also enjoyed it when she was all woozy, Morena Baccarin did a good job of that "And then I fell. And hit my head. You don't need to examine me. I'm fine" stuff.

I also love Jayne's hat.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I think Book's secret is the single most frustrating thing in the show for me.

Teshi- Don't read this

Especially after that Scene in Objects in Space.

twinky
Member # 693

I couldn't decide whether or not that was real.
Teshi
Member # 5024

With Book that's kind of the problem, I have no idea who he is. I'm strongly inclined to believe that he's a completely real Shepherd, no doubt about that in my mind BUT

- He uses a gun very accurately and can recognise the wounds of specific guns and specific bullets with a cursory glance (he claims it's from hunting rabbits in "War Stories", nobody believes him!)
- He seems familiar with evasive tactics and other war-related methods.
- his "Idet" ("Ident"?) card carries enough power to get him unquestionably allowed on board an Alliance Ship, despite coming from a somewhat untrustworthy ship himself.
- He claimed, I thought, that he fought on the Alliance side in the war. I may be hallucinating on this though.

My guess would be an Alliance side hero general shocked at what he had done, entered into a monastery for penance and then exited so many years later only to hook up with Serenity and crew. This would give him the weight, the bargaining skills and the tactical/weapons skills he seems to have.

The only flaw in that exists in the fact that only six years have passed in-between the war and 'now', and I definately get the feeling he was in the monastery for much longer.

That's my best theory at the present moment, though.

twinky
Member # 693

Hm.

I just don't think about it. I'm waiting for Joss to tell me in some wonderfully roundabout way in one of the sequels to Serenity. [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

You're clearly not an English major, twinky [Wink] .
twinky
Member # 693

Indeed I am not. [Razz]
Noemon
Member # 1115

Teshi (and all others who haven't finished the series yet), don't read this until after you've seen Objects in Space.

Twinky, it about has to be real, I think--all of the other moments of mind reading are. In all of them, she picks up on the thoughts underlying her subject's conscious thoughts. Well, except Jayne. In his case I think she's picking up on thoughts that are right on the surface. There's no reason to think that she's wrong about Book. So the question is, what is Book "talking" about when he "says" "I don't give half a hump whether you're innocent or not. So where does that put you"? Is he addressing River? She doesn't just pick up the thoughts that are directed at her, clearly.

Now a question for me is whether, when Jubal says "that ain't a preacher", he's speaking from knowledge of who Book is, knowldege of what Book must be given what he has observed of him, or if he's just displaying his own kind of cracked nature by saying it.

Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thinking of Objects in Space gives me the shivers. [Big Grin]
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, I don't actually know who directed which episodes. Which ones did Joss do?
twinky
Member # 693

Objects in Space, for starters. [Wink]

And I'm not sure I agree with your other post.

...I think River twists the things she "hears," and I don't think the snippets we're shown in Objects are necessarily to be trusted. *I* certainly don't trust River to know someone else's thoughts from her projection of what she thinks that person thinks. She has moments of clarity -- "don't look, don't look," some of the stuff with the bounty hunter, and that bit with Badger -- but most of the time I think she's lost between her conceptions of things (the branch) and reality (the gun). Most of the time I think she is incapable of distinguishing fact from her own deluded imaginings.

I could, of course, be completely wrong.

[ April 05, 2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Twinky on this one.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Again, don't read if you haven't finished Objects in Space.

That's a good point. It would be a kind of cheap trick for the writer to trick the viewer by showing a series of mindreads that are accurate, and then throwing in a single one that is inaccurate though, don't you think?

twinky
Member # 693

Spoilers!

Ah, but *are* all of the others accurate? I don't know that Simon's is, for instance. I looked on that as River's projection of what she's afraid Simon thinks. I think Simon is such a good guy that he actually *doesn't* think that, not even deep down. Call me an optimist if you must. [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

[Monkeys]

My own thread has become a mine field of spoilers.

*steps gingerly*

twinky
Member # 693

Go watch the last two episodes. That'll take care of it. [Cool]
Noemon
Member # 1115

More Spoilers

You know, Teshi is going to be incredibly disappointed when these aren't as interesting as she'd been imagining them to be while she was avoiding them. [Smile]

quote:
I looked on that as River's projection of what she's afraid Simon thinks. I think Simon is such a good guy that he actually *doesn't* think that, not even deep down.
I'd be inclined to agree with you if it weren't for the fact that Simon directly states this sentiment while talking to Kaylee in the hallway during their "isn't there anything you like about being on Serenity" conversation. He says it (well, 3/4 of the statement, anyway, but it's clear where he's going), kind of bites his tongue, and then corrects himself, saying that he'd be there (in the hospital) right now if it weren't for what they'd done to her.

And which of the others would be inaccurate? We know that Jayne feels scared and guilty about his betrayal in Ariel. Unless either Wash or Zoe are just going through the motions, River is getting a pretty good read on them. Mal's and Inara's comments both fit well with what we know of their characters (although I'm intriged by Inara's--I'm not utterly convinced that her comment is directed toward Mal at all. It may be a pointer toward her secret).

[ April 05, 2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

twinky
Member # 693

Yarrrr! Spoilers!

"Because of what they did to her" and "because of her" are two different things. In Objects, River's read of Simon is practically antagonistic. But I think Simon doesn't resent River, rather he is angry with the Alliance/Blue Sun Corp. River is afraid he resents her and so she makes that interpretation.

Edit: I have to admit that you make persuasive arguments. But what does that say about Book? [Cry]

[ April 05, 2005, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Spoilers

Yeah, they *are* two very different sentiments. Simon slips and says the first, blaming River for his loss of status, and then corrects himself, putting the blame where it fairly belongs. He is a good, incredibly selfless guy, no doubt about it, but it would seem that he also feels some resentment toward River (and probably beats himself up about feeling it).

About Book, I know! I really want him to not be a horribly evil person masquerading at a good one, but the possibility is there. Of course, what we see in Book's mind could be some pivotal moment in his past that is underlying his current actions--that flash we see could be Book from his old days as a soldier or cop, before he saw the light and became a man of the cloth, and could be something for which he is doing pennance. It's hard to say.

twinky
Member # 693

ARGH! I hate you for being right. [Mad]

[Razz]

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Big Grin]
twinky
Member # 693

Have you listened to the commentary? I have, but I don't remember what Joss said about it...
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.