FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Laser Beam Survivors (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Laser Beam Survivors
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Too many people get yelled at for offering their seat to someone else now. I still do it, but I understand why some people have given up doing so.

If possible, I generally just stand up to empty the seat when they get close enough to take it. I am officially middle-aged, so it is usually just to people clearly older than I. Men will sometimes decline, but no one has ever taken it unkindly.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
What "customer service" really means is that I will sit there and take it, then find ways to screw you over without hurting our business.

Come, now. I see customer service as a contract-- I do my best to be respectful, polite, and pay fully and promptly for what I have bought. In return, I expect to be treated respectfully and politely by helpful people whose aim is to see that I am treated fairly and that I recieve the full value of what I paid for.
Absolutely. The heart of customer service is give and take: we give to you because doing so entices you giving back to us. What I object to is the BS belief that you can be rude to CSRs without reprecussion. That's not their job.

Which brings up another LBS: people who think that "good customer service" means "bending the rules, just for you," and obeying guidelines determined by the company is "bad customer service."

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I object to is the BS belief that you can be rude to CSRs without reprecussion. That's not their job.

Absolutely. They have broken the contract and it no longer applies. But that doesn't mean that that's what "customer service" means. [Wink]

I will add that I don't just contact customer service to complain-- when I have an excellent experience with a product or company, I make a point to write or call them and let them know. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ

I am very sorry about your experience on the train, it sounds truly horrible.

If it is any comfort people who distress asthmatic women with babies get box seats in hell for at least one week. I think it's in Jeremiah somewhere.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. What a lot of misplaced aggression in this thread.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is a thread for releasing aggression... you know, being about folks you would have laser beamed if you could have and all [Razz]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Hey, I'm college staff, too! Or does being college IT staff disqualify me? [Smile]

Pfft. Of COURSE it disqualifies you! [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
Is there a college staff community here that I didn't know about?? Because I'm staff, too. The faculty/staff distinction can get to me sometimes, especially when I feel we're underappreciated.

And I knew that, too! Clearly, my memory is going even faster than I thought. [Wink]

We're small enough that I rarely feel unappreciated. Just overworked!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
well, much of the general populus should be glad that I don't have laser eyes, but at the moment:

people who put "this page intentionally left blank" on every second page in documents...

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

This post intentionally left blank.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

rivka, you might want to install some lenses in front of your computer screen to redirect any lasers coming through cyberspace away from your face [Wink]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If I weren't laserbeam proof, I woulda been a goner long ago. [Big Grin]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Just think! If we had some fiber optic cables and laser vision, we wouldn't need computers. We could have the internet just by blinking into a tube!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Women who get on the bus and give me an expectant look, waiting for me to surrender my seat, then glare at me when I ignore them, and/or smile at them. If a woman (or a man) has an immediately apparent need for a seat (disabled, elderly, pregnant, carrying lots of stuff/kids), I'll readily offer. But women who expect me to surrender my seat by virtue of their being female and my being male make me want to punch them in the face on behalf of feminists everywhere.

Word.

<------ Kicking it old school.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

*blink* *blink*

I mean, if we could all understand binary at the speed computers do... and translate said binary into images in our heads... and blink really really really fast..

No, no I don't think that'd work [Razz]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

Rivka, if you had laser vision, would you have to refrain from using it on Saturdays?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That is an excellent question. I'd guess it would partly depend on whether it were organic or not, and to what degree it was voluntary. Among other possible factors.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

I would love to see the look on your rabbi's face were you to ask him that question.
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, the one I usually ask questions loves questions like that.
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, next time you should threaten to call the police. Those kids don't *know* you don't have a cell phone, and those (dumb, stupid, lame) teenage boys were probably just doing it out of boredom (and lack of empathy or respect for humanity).

Ahh, teenage boys: the armpit of society.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Too many people get yelled at for offering their seat to someone else now. I still do it, but I understand why some people have given up doing so.

I'll usually just vacate my seat when it looks like it might be used by someone else (in my area, it's rare for there not to be enough seats, unless there's a large group, usually containing many children). I leave it up to them whether or not to take the seat. I realize this may open the door to someone unintended taking the seat, but most people on public transportation are considerate enough to allow the intended to sit there.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:

See, the way I figure it, there's very, very little chance that there will arise a situation that I, driving a car, can be stopped by another vehicle (unless that person is trained on stopping cars or is in a group of cars that can box me in). I'll always have the option of out-driving them or, in the event the person can actually get me to stop, while they were getting out of their car and grabbing weaponry, I could slam on the gas and get the hell out of there. I also remember the fact that a car can be a lethal weapon. If the person is stupid enough to get out of a car while I'm still behind the wheel and they have a gun in their hands, they'll be street pizza. Plain and simple. It's really hard to shoot someone behind the wheel of a car, ask any cop. You're sitting behind saftey glass and a half ton of steel.

I saw videos of a drug dealer trying to run over a SWAT team in a Navigator. The SWAT team unloaded on the car and the driver only got shot in the arm.

But the chances of anyone stopping me are slim to none. I'm a much better driver than most people I know and one car is not going to stop me if I need to get the hell away from it.

I don't need to stop the car to arm myself. I keep a .45 Glock in a holster wedged between my seat and the center console. I once had someone set his ire on me around 11 p.m. on a Saturday night. I figure he was drunk. I guess he didn't like that I passed his obnoxious ass after dealing with him doing most of the things mentioned above. So he turned on his brights and folloed a few inches behind me up to over 90 miles per hour as I tried to get away from him. Eventually I just held up my gun and made a big show of chambering a round. He turned off his brights and slowed down. I tell this story because I want to make the point about how badass it is to live in Colorado where they have lax gun laws and easy-to-get consealed carry permits.
quote:
Originally posted by Blaise:
Colorado Springs road developers...

Oh, yeah, Blaise, the traffic lights heading south on Nevada just past between I-25 and Cheyenne? Why would they time them so that each one turns green just in time for you to catch the next one turning red? All 6 of them?!? LBS the entire area! The trick is to be the guy at the very front of the line and then gun it a second before you get green. Then you have to speed about 15 over the limit. If you catch the next intersection just as it turns yellow, you can breeze through the rest of them. I love when that happens and I see all the poor saps in my rear view mirror braking behind me.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
People who laugh politely when you tell bad jokes. If someone tells a bad joke, say "Wow, that was a bad joke," and then laugh about THAT! That way, not awkward for anyone.

People who tell bad jokes.

People who are afraid of being different in any way.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
People who's only form of debating consists of insulting the person they're debating with (you're stupid, you're an idiot, you don't know what you're talking about...) and getting all their friends to back them up and tell them how right they are.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
KQ, next time you should threaten to call the police. Those kids don't *know* you don't have a cell phone, and those (dumb, stupid, lame) teenage boys were probably just doing it out of boredom (and lack of empathy or respect for humanity).

Ahh, teenage boys: the armpit of society.

I did threaten to call the police. They eyed me up, saw that I did not have a phone in my hand, and said, "So do it, then, b****. F***ing do it, then!"

That's when I decided I needed to get off the train.

And I sincerely hope I am NEVER in that situation again.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Politicians.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
quote:

Women who get on the bus and give me an expectant look, waiting for me to surrender my seat, then glare at me when I ignore them, and/or smile at them. If a woman (or a man) has an immediately apparent need for a seat (disabled, elderly, pregnant, carrying lots of stuff/kids), I'll readily offer. But women who expect me to surrender my seat by virtue of their being female and my being male make me want to punch them in the face on behalf of feminists everywhere.

Word.

<------ Kicking it old school.

Women who refuse the seat when I stand and offer it to them. In some cultures, refusing to accept someones kindness is a severe insult.

Oh yeah, and threads that are really old and I respond to someone's comment from about a decade ago (see above).

[ March 21, 2007, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Reshpeckobiggle ]

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
LBS: People who automatically assume that teenagers are horrible people.

LBS: Teenagers who help to lend weight to that assumption.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

No kidding.

LBS: Little brothers who yell at a high pitch over the phone. [Wink]

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
LBS: Big sisters who complain about their little brothers and... um... make up false stories about them! [Razz]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

LBS: Revered religious figures who live near the second harbor. You know, Latter Bay Saints.
LBS: Outdated units of measurement. (And yes, I would laser the English system of units were it something tangible that could be lasered).

Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
LBS: Outdated units of measurement. (And yes, I would laser the English system of units were it something tangible that could be lasered).
Hear hear!
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
It always makes me grin to hear the Lbs/inches called the "English" system, when the UK went metric in the seventies. Beer is still sold in pints though, as God commanded. [Wink]

Is the US the only place on Earth still using feet and inches?

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
the UK went metric in the seventies. Beer is still sold in pints though, as God commanded.
And my British friends still sometimes tell me their weight in "stones" instead of "kilos."
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a throwback thing. My Dad still quotes prices in pounds, shillings and pence although the UK currency changed in 1971.

Also, 14st sound better than 90kg.... [Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I tell this story because I want to make the point about how badass it is to live in Colorado where they have lax gun laws and easy-to-get consealed carry permits.
Even in Colorado you still committed a crime by doing what you did.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
Is the US the only place on Earth still using feet and inches?

For the most part.
rivka
Member # 4859

And the plural of "stone" is "stone" -- not "stones."
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
And the plural of "stone" is "stone" -- not "stones."

This woman speaks the truth!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

She tries, anyway. [Wink]
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

quote:
quote:
I tell this story because I want to make the point about how badass it is to live in Colorado where they have lax gun laws and easy-to-get consealed carry permits.
Even in Colorado you still committed a crime by doing what you did.
This is perhaps technically true, but practically unenforcible, and I think I could make that case that I was engaging in self defense as the guy literally inches behind me at 90mph was endanging my life. It's the only time I've ever felt the need to do something like that, and I feel perfectly justified.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok, teachers with that attitude are LBS survivors of mine. You're job is to teach us students, and teach your class. Our job is to learn it. The whole "Did I miss anything important?" is actually "Did I miss anything I couldn't have gleaned from the book?". No you're not teaching for your own edification, you're teaching to help us learn. But we learn in different ways, and sometimes attending every single class is not necessary in order for us to learn. Also sometimes to way you lecture or teach in class doesn't work for some students.
As has been mentioned, none of what you said changes the fact that the particular phrasing mentioned is extremely rude.

I feel certain I was in the 90th percentile for missed classes all through college. I sometimes asked the professors what material they'd covered, so I could go read it on my own. I oftentimes asked friends of mine in the class what we went over, and/or borrowed their notes.

But I never did, and never would ask as rudely as that person did.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Beer is still sold in pints though, as God commanded. [Wink]

But the pints are not 16oz.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
LBS: Professors who apparently think it's my fault that I have two classes on the same night at the same time.

Yes, that means that occasionally, I must miss your class for this other class, a class in which the professor has graciously agreed to pretty much bend over backwards and allowed me to do 95% of the work outside of class so that I'm not stuck here for an extra semester. But sometimes, I do have to show up for his class. I didn't make the spring class schedule, people. Both of your classes are required. Go complain to the director or something. Seriously.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:
Beer is still sold in pints though, as God commanded. [Wink]

But the pints are not 16oz.
Nope - 16oz = 454ml, a UK pint is 568ml or 19.21oz

More Beer! Hoorah!

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My sister and I each ordered a pint in a pub when visiting the UK. Imagine our surprise when we probably could've split one between us and been fine! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
pH said -

"LBS: Professors who apparently think it's my fault that I have two classes on the same night at the same time."

Excuse me, but...isn't it?

Isn't it YOUR job to arrange your class schedule, and not theirs?

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
pH said -

"LBS: Professors who apparently think it's my fault that I have two classes on the same night at the same time."

Excuse me, but...isn't it?

Isn't it YOUR job to arrange your class schedule, and not theirs?

Steve/BlueWizard

Read the rest of the post. Both classes are required. Both are ONLY offered in the spring semester. Both are at the same time. This is an issue to take up with the people responsible for deciding class times, not me. There's only one section of each class (as is true of all my classes).

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That happens, pH, but usually students are expected to take the classes in different semesters. Regardless, it most certainly is not the professor's fault. I know you said you're trying to graduate, and I feel for you, but many a person has had to stay in college an extra semester because of scheduling issues. It's nothing new, and again - not the professor's fault. You're considered adult enough to be able to make your own schedule and accomodate the class offerings.

We have one professor that teaches linguistics. One. And two linguistics classes are required for every English major. He's going on sabbatical. If you need those two classes to graduate you're going to have to wait until he comes back, if you haven't taken them already. It's certainly not fun for the people who may have to wait a semester, but then again...there's no guarantee the university will always offer the class you need when you want it. You just have to adapt and deal. Every college student does. complain to the department chair....but your professor can't do anything about it and if he expects you to be in class, then be in class or deal with the consequences of not being in class.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen.

I hate teachers who change their rules half way though class because I have an A in it, even though I rarely show up. If I know the damn material, and you have a lax attendance policy, deal with it...or change the policy AFTER the semester is done, not half way through the semester after you have already given the policies to the students.

It happened twice in one semester. [Frown]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I didn't say it was the teacher's fault. Man, you guys.

-pH

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.