FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spaces after a period (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Spaces after a period
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked my Technical Writing professor. Her response is below. I mentioned many of the "older folks" here on Hatrack use double space and the "whipper snappers" use singel space.

quote:
Okay, the term "older folks" has me up in arms! Yes, us older folks did learn to space twice after the periods. Recently, within the past five years, maybe longer, us older folks have memory problems sometimes, publishers began spacing only once after periods. I imagine the publishers think they are saving space! For the same reason, saving space, publishers use fewer commas. Sometimes the missing comma can cause a problem of understanding. I suppose publishers feel that is the readers' problem. I certainly don't count spaces unless students put way too much space in a document. Now, you know the whole story.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to write my first ever APA style paper for a class I'm in. I let the teacher know it was my first, so it might not be perfect. It wasn't, and she was helpful in her reply. The last thing she said was to only single space after sentences. *sigh*

I bet that's not specifically an APA thing, though, and depends on whether the teacher is up on all the new fads.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, you know the whole story.
This is an example of when I think it's okay to use fewer commas.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
nobody uses commas and periods anymore anyway lol jk jk [Smile]
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
isnt that lol jk jk [Wink] ?
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
I line things up with spaces all the time. But it's always in monospace font, and I use a text editor (not a word processor) that is designed to do it efficiently.

It sounds like you're talking about writing code, which is entirely different from creating documents which are intended to be read.
Yes and no. Maybe it's a stretch to say that what I write is intended to be read, but at the very least I intend my code to be readable. The difference is that the person reading my code can read it using whatever editor they want, with syntax highlighting and font of their choice (even proportional!).

In my opinion monospace fonts can be beautiful. Don't be hatin'!

Oh, and when I write documents of the kind you're talking about I do tend to compose in a monospace font, but the final product comes out differently. I haven't used LaTeX in a while, though.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
isnt that lol jk jk [Wink] ?
i will have to check my IMSpeak style manual...
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Now, you know the whole story.
This is an example of when I think it's okay to use fewer commas.
I always over-comma. I would have written it the same way she did. I was always horrible at English.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
On an unrelated note, does punctuation precede or succeed graemlins/emoticons?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
In the case of quotation marks, I think the graemlins and emoticons should go with whoever owns the action/emotion.

I smile: I thought it was funny when Joe said, "I'm just a little turtle." [Smile]

Joe smiled: I thought it was funny when Joe said, "I"m just a little turtle. [Smile] "

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
brojack: Your professor is wrong about at least a couple of things. First off, it's been far longer than the past five years or so. Like I said earlier, I hated having to go by the old two-space rule when I learned to type 13 years ago. And anyway, the two-space rule was something employed for typewritten documents, not typeset and published works.

Also, using fewer spaces and fewer commas has nothing to do with an effort to save space. Using less puncutation is an effort to streamline the text and improve readability, because puncutation is an interrruption. If the goal were to save space, there are far more efficient ways of doing so, like choosing a narrower font.

And yes, that comma is entirely misplaced and ruins her intended meaning. But I suppose that's the reader's problem. [Wink]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
It is partly to save space. Several of the conventions in AP style is to save space. The lack of a final serial comma is one of them.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Mike: I mean that code is a very different animal from regular text. With text, the goal is to have someone read from beginning to end. With code, you certainly want it to be readable, but obviously you're not going to read it like a book.

And anyway, my original point was that using spaces to line up columns is a bad idea because people learned it on typewriters (where you can get away with it) and carried over to word processors (where you can't).

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
When I started as a proofreader 19 years ago at National Geographic (yes, I'm old), I had to unlearn the two spaces between sentences habit.

Anyone here remember Atex?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
It is partly to save space. Several of the conventions in AP style is to save space. The lack of a final serial comma is one of them.

Does it actually say that in the style guide? I'll admit I'm not very familiar with AP. I guess space is much more of an issue in newspapers than in books.
brojack17
Member # 9189

This is why I like engineering. We have national standards that specify what everyone should use. I guess I need to ask each professor at the beginning of term single space our double, hyphens or no hyphens.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to get through college and four years of graduate school without a professor ever once caring whether I put one or two spaces after a period. I suspect most people's experience is similar.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Much of the typographic treatment that rings true to me...
There have been many nerdy things said on Hatrack. This is among the nerdiest.
Wow, I just went from nerd wannabe to über-nerd with one push of Tom's Reply button. [Smile] In this context, it's flattering.

As one who sees my copy worked into layouts and artwork on a daily basis, I appreciate designers who pay attention to typographic treatment. Some just plunk in the text and leave it; some know how to incorporate it into the design and bring out the meaning effectively. You can imagine which designers I prefer working with.

Check out Harley-Davidson's annual reports, especially 2002 and 2003, for examples of really good typographic treatment. These guys are sensitive to type.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
I managed to get through college and four years of graduate school without a professor ever once caring whether I put one or two spaces after a period. I suspect most people's experience is similar.

It's really a design/publication issue--I think that any teacher who marks off for it on a paper is being ridiculous. I never had to worry about it in school.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that any teacher who marks off for it on a paper is being ridiculous.
I think it's entirely fair for a teacher to demand adherence to a typographic standard especially in things like comp classes so I don't agree. At all.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Your prerogative. [Wink]
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I not only had professors give me grief about it in college, I still have a supervisor who tries to put the extra space in my writing today.

I don't have a problem with a teacher insisting on the correct typographic standard, but I have a SERIOUS problem with one insisting on enforcing an outdated one.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 21. I've never in my life been told to use a double space after periods and I've never in my life heard it said to someone else or mentioned in any form until this thread. To me, it seems odd and completely unnecessary.

If I were marked down for it by a Prof, I would think it was a joke.

EDIT: Oh, this is my 7000th post [Smile] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel Tov.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.