FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I want to Work, I have the Skills (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I want to Work, I have the Skills
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not 420 dollars a week.
When I worked in North Quincy and worked at BCBS for another department it was 366 dollars a week. 323 dollars a week for another place. I was working for 11 bucks per hour. Transportation was 60 dollars a week, but it could end up more if the weather is terrible. Like 40 or 70 dollars extra. Arg ><
After taxes it's going to be the same or less than unemployment...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Excuses, excuses. I worked for a job that required about an hour commute each way. I had to walk in the snow to the bus stop, change busses twice (which involves standing in the snow and wind) and I hardly made enough to get buy. But I had a job and I could pay my bills. When the weather warmed up I rode my bike so that I could get to work quicker.

Get a job. Any job. You'll have a better chance of getting a better job if you're employed at all. When you're unemployed, there's no place to go but up.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If your income is that low, you should be able to receive public assistance to cover your transportation costs.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
When I had just started college and didn't have a job yet, I eventually gave up on getting a good job and settled for one at a supermarket paying $6.65 an hour. I rode my bike a few miles to get there. Sure, it could've been a lot worse, but it certainly wasn't as good of a job as I'd wanted. But three weeks later I got my first job as an editorial assistant working on campus, so it all worked out in the end.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if they do here in this state unless a person is elderly or disabled.
But some companies will pay for half of a train pass. I'll have to look into that.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Having a job, earning income, is a great base for looking for an even better job.

Plus, remember that having a job looks better on your resume, if you can keep it for a while. If you don't take this job and don't have another offer for a while, that gap on your resume just gets bigger. Take this one if at all possible, and make this the beginning of permanent employment for you. After a while your resume will add more strength to you getting a job that's more what you want.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It's a temporary job though. They are not sure how long it will last. I have to call them tomorrow about it. I've got several appointments tomorrow.
I'm not whining, but the main problem, the thing that is kicking me perpectually in my posterior is transportation vs having to pay 200-250 dollars a week for rent...(I'm way behind. I should be paying 300 dollars a week) plus bills.
Irratating.
Shame it can't actually be 420... I could pay 250 a week on rent until I catch up again... But, there's an interview tomorrow. so....

Also, is it moral to leave a temp job for another job? A permanant one?

[ February 26, 2008, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing about your resume. If you are working for a temp agency and receiving assignments, don't list each individual assignment on your resume. Whether or not you list how long you worked at each assignment, it looks like you're changing jobs a lot, and that is off putting to a potential employer. It would probably be better to list the specific temp agency as your employer, and then (on a skill based resume) the skills that were utilized and/or developed during your tenure with the company. Just taking the months off (as I believe was stated in a previous thread) isn't going to improve things with potential employers. It's also important because, generally speaking, if you are on a temp assignment from an agency, you work for the agency, not the company you are assigned to. I worked for Kelly Temps for a while, and that is how it worked for me. Kelly wrote my paychecks, not the companies to which I was assigned. It's important to be accurate about who you are working for on a resume. If there are particular companies that you worked with for an extended period of time (read months) then you might want to consider adding them on your resume under the temp agency you worked for as one of your bullets, i.e. worked assignments to various companies including (insert company names here). Don't list the little short one and two week companies in that list, they aren't likely to remember you, even if you did a good job. If your potential employer calls them to determine if you worked there, you probably won't appear on any of their lists (because you are working for a temp agency not the actual company) and if the person they talk to doesn't remember you and tells your potential employer that you never worked there, you look like you are lying on your resume, even though you're not.

With regards to leaving a temp assignment before it is over, I'd say go ahead. Temp agencies have people come and go all the time, it's not unusual. Of course, try to be polite by explaining to the new employer that you are currently on assignment and you would like to give the company x amount of notice. If the company needs you tomorrow, tell the company that you are temping for that you are sorry, but that you have been offered a permanent position elsewhere, and that they are requesting you start immediately. Turning down a permanent position for a temporary one isn't a good idea, since the temp job is likely to end. I won't say it's guaranteed, I have a cousin who got his job with Sprint from a temp agency and it became permanent. But unless, the job is actually a temp to hire job, it's not as likely to become permanent. Take the permanent job, just make sure that you are as polite as possible when leaving the temp position.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever thought of trying to put a little money aside when you get temp jobs to eventually buy a car so you can get to all these better jobs? It doesn't have to be that much every paycheck, but if you started doing it then you could eventually have enough to buy something.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

OK. I've been let go prematurely from these jobs in the first place...
I always thought it was more polite to finish the assignment, but getting a permanent job paying more than enough money to live on is my goal.

orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
So how is it going Syn?
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yesterday I got called in for an interview/work training.
The person in charge said I'd get paid 10 bucks an hour so I went to Cambridge in the morning.
She said she was dismayed about me having to travel so far, but I don't mind and it starts at 10.
The work was easy. I hope I did a good job. I was worried about how to number each section or whether or not the columns were the right size.
I worked until 4. Everyone else left early. The girl next to me had to go so she played solitaire and was on the net for a while while i was plugging away working.
I hope I did well. I did about 9 of these things, but the first ones are probably numbered really weirdly.
If I can get a job there, it will be temporary, but it will be 15 dollars per hour (up to?) and there's a lot of work to do.

Also, I missed the LDS job thing because my phone was broken and I didn't know about it. [Frown]
I hope they do another one soon.
I fail at answering the "Why has it taken so long for you to work in offices" or something like that question.

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys should stop complaining. For my first job I had to walk 15 miles, in the snow, uphill both ways! And we were lucky if we were paid 50 cents per hour.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

[ROFL]

But seriously, in some places people actually have to do that. Just not in the snow.

[Laugh]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
This seems as good a thread as any, today I recieved a phone call from Futureshop/BestBuy/Umbrella Corperation take your pick, I will be having a job interview with them for a part time position as a Computer Technitian sometimes this saturday.

*crosses fingers*

So far my plan of constantly reapplying at the same key locations is working.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Good for you
Maybe those places will give you a discount on video games. That would be cool.

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
synthesthesia, forgive me if this is too prying, but you mention (it seems) like you should be paying $300/week in rent? If this is the case it could be one of your problems in getting out of the hole... I'm living in a pretty nice portion of LA and am not even paying that much in rent... if I knew I was in a financially strapped situation I'd be doing my darndest to find a cheaper place to live, find roomates etc. Especially around college towns it tends to be reasonably easy to find roomates and/or cheaper accomodations. Sure they're often pretty crummy, but it could certainly help free-up your monetary situation a bit.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I'd like to pay 300 a week, but I have to pay 200 or close to it to catch up because I've fallen behind.

But today I was working all day long!
It was exausting though.
I might work some more.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.