FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Souder resigns over affair with woman he made a pro-abstinence video with (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Souder resigns over affair with woman he made a pro-abstinence video with
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Are you saying that if a Chinese person is doing something that is highly socially unacceptable, they'd freely admit it in public?

No. I'm assuming that despite your antipathy toward Chinese culture, you didn't literally ask him a "Do you beat your wife?" question. More likely you asked a, "if you were in that situation, would you?" type question (i.e. there but for the grace of god). In that case, you bet.

You're basically assuming two things. First, that people from different cultures admit to things at roughly the same rate. Second, that what people say is an accurate representation of what people would actually do. Let me put it in Western terms. If that were the case, in the other thread, anti-gay Republicans would be the straightest of males. Instead, their ranks are probably more gay than a gay pride parade.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Here we go, something data-based as well.
Different study, Chinese specifically, and with a plurality of PRC immigrants. Lower rates of domestic violence.

quote:
Prevalence rates of physical violence from the 1985 National Family
Violence Survey are commonly cited because it is one of the few national
surveys on family violence that has been implemented in the United States
(Straus & Gelles, 1986).

The survey also found that 30% experienced a violent event over the course of their
relationship. These rates are higher than those indicated by Chinese Americans
in this sample. Less than 10% (6.8%) and only 18% of Chinese Americans
disclosed experiencing some form of physical aggression by a spouse/
partner in the last 12 months and during the course of their lifetime, respectively.

One explanation for the lower rates is that there may be less domestic
violence in the Chinese American community. Hall and Barongan (1997)
noted that there appear to be lower rates of sexual aggression in Asian-
American groups, and they attributed this to the collectivistic orientation
of the Asian culture. In collectivistic cultures, individual goals are relegated
to the group, social support is high, and shame is used as a deterrent to
deviant behavior (Hall & Barongan, 1997).

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r3k5q741942j5814/

quote:
His statements were pretty consistent with what I have read about more traditional attitudes toward women in China.

As opposed to:
quote:
Contrary to the feminist literature on domestic violence, gender role beliefs was not related to physical intimate violence. Acculturation, however, significantly predicted severe physical violence experienced during respondents' lifetime.
In other words, domestic violence increases while assimilating to become more like the surrounding population, not less.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No. I'm assuming that despite your antipathy toward Chinese culture, you didn't literally ask him a "Do you beat your wife?" question. More likely you asked a, "if you were in that situation, would you?" type question (i.e. there but for the grace of god). In that case, you bet.
I didn't ask him anything at all and there wasn't any discussion of wife beating. These women left their husband, filed for divorce and then were stalked, threatened with death, slandered, and harassed in ways I would never even have imagined. When I shared my concern over thesetwo friends with my colleague, this man's response was to laugh and say "Oh that's what most Chinese men would do. If my wife left me, I'd threaten to kill her too." That, to the best of my recollection, is exactly what happened. The implication was that a woman didn't have the right to leave her husband and if she tried, she should be punished for it.

I'm not assuming anything. Here. Just reporting my experience. I'm not making any assumptions about whether or not these men would really have killed their ex-wives given the opportunity. I know only that the women were legitimately terrified, to the extent that one of them sought my help to go into hiding for several months. Those are the facts. Assume what ever you want from them.

Based on my Chinese colleagues comments, I assumed these experiences were indicative of Chinese attitudes toward divorce. I've also read a number of things that support that conclusion.

[ May 20, 2010, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
... "Oh that's what most Chinese men would do. If my wife left me, I'd threaten to kill her too." That, to the best of my recollection, is exactly what happened. The implication was that a woman didn't have the right to leave her husband and if she tried, she should be punished for it.

Actually, thats your interpretation.

The bare facts unless you left something out is that your colleague believes that the probability that a threat would occur in such a situation is high.

There is nothing in what you have quoted about "should" or about rights. Nor is there any statement that North American men would act any differently. Also, again, the above is just anecdotal, so I probably won't address it any further.

Let me emphasize, it is no tea party either way. However, the *actual data* suggest that the larger worry is contemporary North American culture, not traditional Chinese culture.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
To elaborate, there is no sin in saying, "I love you but monogamy is not something I can do; can we make some other arrangement?" There is sin in lying. As a society, though, we don't make that first option possible. We expect that love means monogamy and I am not at all sure that is true.

Changing rapidly though. I recently made it unabashedly public information that I was in an open relationship.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His statements were pretty consistent with what I have read about more traditional attitudes toward women in China.
"Traditional" views towards women in China are the same in that respect as "traditional" views towards women everywhere. Including America.

Newsflash, women were oppressed and are oppressed by societies around the world. You act like oppression of women and treatment of women as property is a quaint 'exotic' custom or something. No.

But it is always easier to see these sorts of things in another culture than one's own.

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.