FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question? Is this a big liberal board? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Question? Is this a big liberal board?
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that African American empress or whatever she was that actually turned out to be Captain Somethingorother from some other board?
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Dang!

Beaten to the punch! What are the odds?!

[ January 22, 2004, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just trying to figure out what would be gratifying about adopting the moniker "Jay". I guess I'll post stalk him for a bit.

Farmgirl- I used to long for the spotlight of a rapidly growing thread, but when it finally happened it was incredibly embarassing and unpleasant.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah I bet so. [agreeing with Icarus and dkw]
I'll give them props for improving their technique though.

Incidentally, Bob I agree. I love the Economist. I keep meaning to subscribe to it one of these days.

I asked my mother for National Geographic for Christmas.

What do I get?-- Readers Digest

I never before realized how targeted Readers Digest is to prey on old people with their ads. Well it sits on the back of my toilet for occasional perusal and then the trash...

AJ

[ January 22, 2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, has Anastasia taken Ced's place in the Hatrack pop culture?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

No I think she and Nubian Princess simply have their own chapter...

I think Baldar actually gets eulogized the most.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
pooka, wasn't that your dream about Gandalf thread? This one? [Evil]

I remember that thread!!

*goes to bump pooka's embarassing and unpleasant thread just for fun*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Bob, you're right--until you said something, I hadn't even *thought* of Ced; I was thinking of Anastasia also. Somehow the direct statement of belief smacked of that guy (and that board's) style.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I've met both Slash and rivka, and if they're the same person then that is one hell of a make-up job.

And on the other topic, yeah -- nothing to be relieved about.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

The combo of member number and post count is suspicious. But he's either for real or unbelievably disingenuous. Since the latter would call for outright cynicism, I shall reserve my judgement. Boy, I but that's a load off for all you oldbies. (I'm being sarcastic, for the benefit of Primal and Tom)
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Reader's Digest is great -- lots of jokes that won't give you a heart attack from laughing too hard. And some poignant stories about overcoming adversity and having a happy ending.

Next time ask for a subscription to Funny Times. Maybe you'll get Highlights. [ROFL]

Those Timbertoes crack me up!

And Goofus and Galant!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Good job, Farmgirl. [Wink]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Couldn't I at least have gotten Ranger Rick? I read it in a doctors office a while back and it was just as good as it used to be!

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo . . .are they still publishing Ranger Rick ?!?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
What about Zoobooks? Do they still do those?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I went on a fieldtrip to whatever organization it is Ranger Rick fronts. Another fond memory from the Carter administration. But I can't remember what it was. I really want to say it was the World Wildlife Foundation, possibly before they were infiltrated by the Chinese.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

http://www.nwf.org/gowild/kzPage.cfm?siteId=3&CFID=1030870&CFTOKEN=46096946
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Absotively! [err, this was to the RR query]

[ January 22, 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

WWF was infiltrated by the Chinese?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I for real or just part of this Matrix? (didn’t the last two movies suck, first one ruled though)

I am impressed with the response to this line. How funny. I did have an ID a few years back but lost its password and email so got a new one. Don’t usually post much. But after seeing how much fun this has been I’ll probably check it out more often!

And I did get my question answered about if this is a liberal board. Seems pretty spilt to me. Which hey, that makes the world go round right?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

http://www.zoobooks.com/
saxon75
Member # 4589

Exactly. Now just make sure that as long as you're here you don't lose sight of the fact that all right-thinking people lean to the right. I mean, why else would you use the same word for both types? Also, I hear that liberals like to eat their babies! They must be breeding like rabbits, though, because even what with them eating their babies and all the late-term abortions they're always having their numbers are still growing! Probably doing it out of wedlock, too. Or with animals or something. The sickos.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I don't know if the NWF and the WWF are affiliated in any way, but the WWF has a panda. Is all I'm saying. I'm not actually suggesting that all multinational interests actually serve the chinese. Not yet, for now.

Edit: I guess I would sound less whacked if I remind folks that I am half chinese, so it's cute when I make xenophobic remarks about them.

[ January 22, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

I was always a big fan of Zoobooks.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

He's not Ced. Ced would never use the same excuse twice about "lost my password". He's too devious for something like that. Besides Tom D's Ced-dar hasnt gone off yet.

AJ

pooka
Member # 5003

the last page ended with the saras-o-meter. Which, by the way, sounded a lot like Dean's rebel yell.

P.S. Checked the zoobooks link and I never saw them before.

[ January 22, 2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If Jay were Ced, he'd be a former Marine married to a legless black woman who had recently converted to Islam. Ced's pseudonyms were rarely subtle.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman
Member # 2275

- posted      Profile for Saruman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WWF was infiltrated by the Chinese?
Ooh . . . Chinese wrestling . . .
Posts: 651 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[ROFL] [Laugh] Tom D

(but you are right)
AJ

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah pooka, I kind of figured you were joking!
Jay
Member # 5786

Goodness....... I'm real. I'm a person!

Here I am, touch it. feel it. love it

Sheeze......

Are we having fun yet?

Any of you listen to Hannity? He's got a great Howad Dean loop going today!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

No but when I went to lunch at Subway Rush was being more acerbic than usual. He didn't make me laugh once the entire trip there or back.

I may not agree with the man but when I do listen he used to be entertaining.

AJ

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here I am, touch it. feel it. love it

O_o
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can ask any of the Wenchcon attendees about my policy around flipping people off.
Gee, I must have missed it, mack. What is it? [Razz]

<jealous of people who have met Slash> [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil] Wow, I had no idea this one was also Jay. And it was almost exactly a year ago.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Must be something in the air.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere that this is the most depressing day of the year because by now we have gotten all our credit card bills from Christmas. Or more people have low seratonin related disorders due to the dark overproducing melatonin(depression, OCD, PTSD and other anxiety disorders).
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes - my sister told me that yesterday as well - -that January 25th was supposed to be documented as "the most depressing" day of the year (due to statistical evidence, I suppose). Due to post-holiday let-down, S.A.D., etc. I had never heard that before.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm conservative in a sense, but probably just a radical on everything else to be honest. My main issue with liberals is they tend to be a little elitist in their thoughts and ideas. Not that some rather pompous conservatives can be the same way. Its simply that its rather hard to find a "down to earth' liberal. Liberals and Conservatives are both guilty of the same thing and that is leading the public, and in that sense American society, around by the tail. Its rather irritating to see at times how strong and amazing America an be at times and then notice how simple it would be to fix most of the weaknesses. The problem is the sides have defined themselves and see no gains for themselves by truely working together. Too many people want to stay in power or simply disagree for the sake of disagreeing with the other side. It seems rather.. hilarious to assume that because a person has a certain view on society that their view on economics could be wrong and vice versa.

Both sides are vastly negative and its embarassing to see. I find it embarassing to see how many people would call their leader retarded, stupid, inept , etc. How can you build something when you bring it down every day with your words and actions. How will my friends lives ever mean anything if all you can do is argue and call each other monsters and heretics. Our nation had these problems in its births and I suppose they will continue on until its end one day, it is simply depressing to watch.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My main issue with liberals is they tend to be a little elitist in their thoughts and ideas. Not that some rather pompous conservatives can be the same way. Its simply that its rather hard to find a "down to earth' liberal.
Since "elitist" seems to be one of the favorite accusations of Conservative rhetoric, I'm wondering if you can explain what you mean by that. What does it mean to be down-to-earth?
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone actually called me elitist to my face not too long ago. It was surprisingly not that offensive. In fact, under the circumstances, I took it as a compliment. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Belle: [Smile] Elitist!

I just want to know what people mean when they use it as some all-encompassing complaint or accusation.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
In my case, the person used it because I mentioned that a book that a bunch of people at my church were reading and studying didn't really have anything important to say to me. I said I personally felt that the author was "writing to the masses" and aiming her message at people with a fifth grade reading level and only an elementary knowledge of theology.

Now, I wasn't doing this to be ugly, I was asked why I hadn't joined the study and I answered truthfully - while it may be a fine book, it just didn't challenge me. With school and family obligations right now I'm not going to take a night out of my week to sit with a bunch of other women discussing a book that reveals nothing new to me. Then when he asked what books I would like to study I named about five or six that I thought would be appropriate, and I was told that I was an elitist, and if I wanted to study such things I may as well just go to seminary.

*shrug* Heck, if the teaching thing doesn't work out, maybe I will. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Belle, was it said in a negative way, or just an observation? Because any time I've heard someone call someone else an elitist, it's been accompanied by this revolted disgust, in the same tone of voice that someone would say "scumbag."
mothertree
Member # 4999

I would first say I don't think one side or the other is more prone to elitism. I would define elitism as thinking that just because you are smart or rich, you are entitled to certain things without applying your "gifts" to anything useful. That is, in America is great because of the opportunity to excel and reach your potential. But to simply worship your own potential and not do anything with it is elitist. I guess I am an elitist because I acnknowledge my potential without doing anything about it. Maybe. I don't know.

P.S. I guess the difference is insisting that others validate your wonderfulness even though you have done nothing to make it self-evident.

[ January 26, 2005, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I will freely admit to being an elitist. I think that I am better than most people. Moreover, I think that many of the things I like are objectively better than the things other people like.

I suspect that the vast majority of people in this country feel this way to some degree, mind you. We only call it "elitist" when we're talking about things that cost more money or require more education to appreciate than their alternatives, however.

[ January 26, 2005, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Jay's original question...

Yes, this IS a big liberal board.

It's not that there's not conservatives (and Libertarians, like me) here, it's just that they tend to be shouted down by a cacaphony of talking points and propaganda along with the occasional questioning of basic axia such as "Is it really GOOD to be free and happy? Maybe some people don't WANT to be free and happy!"

Btw, don't let yourself be intimidated by Tom. He just writes well. He did it professionally. Lots of people here like him, though, which is boggling.

On the other hand, be ready to back up what you say, perferably with links (to news sites the liberals will accept. Don't like to Drudge or Newsmax unless they are linking from somewhere else.)

You will be straw manned and attacked on semantics.

And you will probably leave as so many have. (I've done it like 3 times but I always come back. I'm sure certain people wish I wouldn't.) Just don't make a huff when you do. Huffy exits make it hard to come back when you calm down.

It IS worth being here. Try to stay away from the political threads if you're easily frustratable and stick to the more fluffy or entertainment related threads. I logged in today, for instance, to see if anything interesting had been said in the "Battlestar Galactica" or "24" threads.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Wow! Such an old thread. That seems like forever ago.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"it's just that they tend to be shouted down by a cacaphony of talking points and propaganda along with the occasional questioning of basic axia such as 'Is it really GOOD to be free and happy? Maybe some people don't WANT to be free and happy!'"

And Pix has been known on occasion to exaggerate her case. [Smile]

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, many liberals feel that this board is overwhelmingly conservative.

Funny how your perspective hangs on what your own personal viewpoint is.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.