FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pun Smackdown VII: A day of Rest (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pun Smackdown VII: A day of Rest
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
PW, I am sure you meant "alot" to be a pun? If not, just lie and said you meant it.

I did get the Jerusalem joke. It did make my friend Arty choke, though.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm Ok yeah I meant A Lot as a pun. Actually I saw it later. It was one of those unintentional ones. Is Arty ok? I'm concerned, don't want him to end up a vegetable.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, he is OK, not a vegetable at all. He is a pillar of the community. Ever since he was a-salted, he has worked hard to right wrongs. No one walking on the streets ever has to give a backwards glance.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Posting for Bob:

Zsolt, the Hungarian religious scholar, travelled east to study under the Buddha.
The legendary holy man rejected this western interloper. But Zsolt persisted.
Buddha tried simply avoiding the guy, hiding for long periods in a cave deep
in a trackless mountain pass. But still Zsolt persisted. Finally, when he could
take no more, the gentle soul turned to Zsolt and asked, "What do you want of
Buddha, pest?"

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine belongs to a church that takes its prayers very seriously.

Recently, the church set up a bank of volunteers to come in at scheduled times and pray for parishioners who were ill or otherwise facing troubled times. As usually happens, there was some conflict and accusations about some people not meeting their commitments. A few people were accused of skipping their scheduled times and shrugging off their obligations.

So the pastor stepped in, saying he would check over the sign-in sheets and other documentation.

The following Sunday, he shocked everyone by alluding to the controversy from the pulpit. However, his purpose soon became clear.

After having gone over all the documentation, the minister said, he could now say with complete confidence that everyone was prayed in full.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
Zaccheaus was at one time considered to be the shortest man in the Bible. However, further research turned up Ne-Hi-miah.

Even further research revealed that even he was not the shortest, when they discovered Bildad, the Shuhite.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
Would a dissertation on the influence of Calvinistic theology in the Lord of the Rings be called "Calvin and Hobbits"?
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

The young nun at the convent didn't like the look of her worn-out habit. She also didn't like wasting money or material, so she was loathe to throw it out and get a new one.

Instead, she decided to restore the faded color of her gown and bought some dye. After following all the directions, she was unhappy to find that after all that trouble, the gown was only a little darker than before. She tried again. Same results. The third time an older nun found her distressing over the results. After asking what the problem was, the elderly nun nodded and said:

"Yes. I learned a long time ago. Old habits dye slowly."

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

As you may know, Galileo was tried by the Inquisition for his advocacy of Copernican theories. What you may not know is how he was rendered incapable of giving a real defense.

Each piece of evidence Galileo offered was ruled as inadmissable, being in some way tied to a concept or theory previously condemned by the church.

In the end, he was convicted because the Inquisition refused to admit heresy evidence.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just a novice at this, whereas you are clearly second to nun.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I needed another flashlight for camping, so I ordered a co-light.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Can you touvh your nose with your tongue? Fran's sis can.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I love those McDonald's sundaes, which come in three flavors. Now, in the Age of Atkins, they even come in Caramel Light.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Mercy!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ha! I knew you would come into this thread a second time, Bob. I did not want you to leave us behind.
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

"You like this kind of music?"

"Rap? Sure!"

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Rap is an a-choired taste.
sndrake
Member # 4941

(Bob revealed in another thread that he has a chest cold.)

Bob, I heartily recommend getting some Vicks Vap-O-Rub or some similar salve.

Slathered liberally on your chest, it will offer sure-fire salve-ation.

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
If Jesus were to visit modern day Paris would he take the popular Parisees tour and would that tour make him Sadducee the failing of tradition in favor of the quick buck?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Nah, he would just Rome around some more. He figures you can't, er, bury things in the past. Things change.
sndrake
Member # 4941

I would argue that there are some things that can't be altared.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Great hockey game tonight. The Snakes lost to the Saints. Some guy even scored a Pat Trick.

(oh, heavens, even I am groaning over that one, sorry)

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
elizabeth,

Don't flog yourself over that one. Say "cheese".

*snaps questionable piccie with his Canon*

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Is it my imagination, or are these puns getting repentitious?
sndrake
Member # 4941

Michael Crichton revealed that his original draft of Jurassic Park included a character he ended up cutting.

In addition to the crew we've all grown familiar with, the original version included a character who was an evangelical Christian missionary.

Seems that in the original version, the character is separated from the group and is found by a lone velociraptor.

The Christian ended up being carried away by the raptor.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I'm surprised the editor had the nerve to mess with the director's conception on that one.
sndrake
Member # 4941

Recently, I joined a group of fellow agnostics for weekly meetings. As discussions ensued, we decided it might be interesting to get reports on how different congregations were engaging in worship.

So we broke up into teams of two people. Each week, a team visits a local congregation and reports to the group with its diagnostic evaluation.

sndrake
Member # 4941

Everyone in town knew Abe was an atheist. Mostly they didn't bug him about it. Mostly, that is, except old Widow Jones. She felt it was her Christian duty to seek him out, and pray over him for the sake of his soul.

So poor Abe would keep a constant eye out for Widow Jones when he was in town. If he was very lucky, he'd see her first and hide in safety somewhere until she passed by.

Abe was a pretty laidback guy, but he was really fearful of being prayed upon.

sndrake
Member # 4941

The assistant to the bishop knew his boss didn't much care for the deacon they were visiting. He was still surprised, though, when the bishop insisted on rushing home after the meeting with the distasteful person. After they got in the door of the bishop's home, he rushed upstairs and the sounds of slammed doors and running water were soon heard. The assistant was left alone with the housekeeper.

"What gives?" he asked.

"Oh," she said. "that's just him undergoing his deacontamination procedure."

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.