FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Haggard, Foley...and now Craig (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Haggard, Foley...and now Craig
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
So because Clinton slept with an intern, you switched parties and supported Bush twice?

Man. There are some dead Iraqis who're probably very sorry that Clinton couldn't keep it in his pants.

Oh right, as if everyone who supported Bush can reasonably be argued to have known that a vote for Bush = a war in Iraq.

If we followed your logic,

There are some dead Iraqi's who are probably very sorry that Bush Sr made that promise about no new taxes.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh right, as if everyone who supported Bush can reasonably be argued to have known that a vote for Bush = a war in Iraq.
The second time around, I would argue that it was indisputable. The first election was simply unfortunate; the second time was pretty much a solid and obvious repudiation of American benevolence.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
The second time around, I would argue that it was indisputable. The first election was simply unfortunate; the second time was pretty much a solid and obvious repudiation of American benevolence.
Unless you were on the, "Well we are already there and the milk has spilled, it would be a bigger mistake to just pull out."

I call it the, "If you fired the barbed harpoon amiss, don't yank it out" defense.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Or the fantastical fairy-tale notion of "our problems will be solved by the minds that created and support them!"
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Yeah, we're killing kids. But we can't stop now, because if we stop before we achieve our objectives, we killed all those kids for nothing."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So because Clinton slept with an intern, you switched parties and supported Bush twice?

This is the kind of "boys will be boys" winking at Clinton that totally mystifies me.

And yes, I did vote for Bush twice, and I support the war. Your point?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Or as some of us like to call it, "a sense of proportion".
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the second time was pretty much a solid and obvious repudiation of American benevolence.
In your opinion...
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Is it a sense of proportion that has caused some to compare this war to Vietnam pretty much from its inception?

P.S. My original point, before someone cried "Pirate!" was that sexual harassment should be as much of an affront to liberals as homosexuality is to conservatives.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Yeah, we're killing kids. But we can't stop now, because if we stop before we achieve our objectives, we killed all those kids [i]for nothing."

Actually, that reminds me of Madeleine Albright on CNN when she was asked if the sanctions were "worth it."

...that wasn't a deliberate allusion, was it?

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Well, the sense of proportion to which I was refering was that between sexual harassment and hundreds of thousands of dead people.

But, you are right, it isn't fair to compare Iraq to Vietnam. We got off to a much faster start to piling up the bodies in Iraq than we did in Vietnam.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Comparing the sexual harrassment to Iraq and therefore winking at the sexual harassment because it doesn't involve dead bodies does an extreme disservice to...heck, centuries of exploitation of females and makes one complicit in abuses of power.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I thought we were comparing reasons for not voting for someone? Some people didn't vote for Clinton because of his sexual activites (some harassment, some not); others people didn't vote for Bush because he was responsible for a lot of people dying.

That doesn't make either thing right. It does make it legitimate to compare them.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I mean - they are alike in that both arise from abuses of power. Perpetuating the myth that it's okay for people in places of power to use that power to coerce sex from their employees is what happens if you mock not voting for Clinton because of his sexual activities.

I really think that if he were sleeping with, say, the daughters of his friends (or his daughter's friends) as opposed to his employees, there would have been a very different reaction. That people would probably be more shocked by the former rather than less underlines the importance of making a big deal about what he did do - they shouldn't be.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really think that if he were sleeping with, say, the daughters of his friends (or his daughter's friends) as opposed to his employees, there would have been a very different reaction.
I don't.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
I thought we were comparing reasons for not voting for someone?
That's where Tom went. I was talking, foolishly, I'll grant, on the thread topic which was what offenses might have an ironic flavor given the party of the offender.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I guess what I am "mocking" (if it really is that) is the notion that Clinton's abuse of power was worse than Bush's.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
That's what I mean - they are alike in that both arise from abuses of power. Perpetuating the myth that it's okay for people in places of power to use that power to coerce sex from their employees is what happens if you mock not voting for Clinton because of his sexual activities.

Granting the rest of your statement, the requirement should be twofold: "not voting for Clinton because of his sexual activities and voting for Bush in spite of the deaths he has caused." Suggesting that sexual abuse of power is -- or should be -- a less important voting criterion than thousands upon thousands of deaths doesn't inherently trivialize sexual abuse of power as a voting criterion.

Presumably, though, people who actually fit my quoted description consider the deaths to be justified in some way (e.g. support the war).

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

quote:
Presumably, though, people who actually fit my quoted description consider the deaths to be justified in some way (e.g. support the war).
It's because of this that I don't equate the two. I think the war is just complex enough that an argument could be made that it was necessary or right-in-the-end to perpetuate it.

The same argument couldn't be made for Clinton's sexual harassments.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Yeah, we're killing kids. But we can't stop now, because if we stop before we achieve our objectives, we killed all those kids for nothing."

http://www.angryflower.com/smashi.html

:>

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

pooka, the democrats aren't making a particularly big deal about the possibility that Senator Craig might be gay*. It is the Republicans who seem to be climbing over each other to distance themselves from him.

* Except that it somewhat undermines his anti-gay political stance.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it? [Wink]
"Don't be gay or else you might end up a United States Republican senator soliciting in bathrooms like me!"

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, most of the Dems who have spoken publicly have expressed sympathy for the stressful time Sen. Craig and his family are going through.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Right. So where is the irony?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:

I didn't vote for Bush in 04, I'm just saying why I think you could have voted for him without being a baby killer.

Thing is as it stands I know the Republicans did not do the job I wanted them to do in the last 4 years, but I still have no confidence that the Democrats would have done better had they won.

So its basically reality vs my own judgment, either way I'm not happy.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
OPEC APEC , Austria Australia , let's call the whole thing off

[ September 07, 2007, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to assume the President is just very bad at jokes, instead of a liar (with the excuse).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think someone should have given him a breathalyzer. I didn't think even he was that stupid. And frankly I still don't think he's that stupid, I think, like a great many of his mistakes, he's just not really thinking about what he's saying, it just comes out. Obviously the President knows the difference between Austria and Australia, and god willing, between APEC and OPEC. I do find it surprising that seven years into his presidency, he still can't muster the brain power to check himself before those things escape his lips.

Generally when you hear attacks on Clinton, they are for having sex, and lying about sex. The complaints by and large I have ever heard against him have nothing to do with his conduct as a governor. That's just personal experience, with Republicans I've met and what I've seen on network tv. It's the sort of thing Republicans use to try and paint Democrats as bad on family values and themselves as saints. And I wouldn't be surprised to see the Craig thing even come back to haunt Democrats.

Like Chris said, Democrats are being pretty nice about the whole thing. They are focusing on Iraq, with the major reports out and more coming, they aren't talking about Craig. Republicans and the media are the only ones talking about it, and Craig himself keeps the story going because he won't shut up. Democratic leadership has already said they don't think he should have to leave the senate, and this must be a difficult time for his family. I wouldn't be surprised to see Republicans try and use that as evidence that Democrats aren't tough enough on offenders against the American family, but they might shoot themselves in the foot if they try.

Personally, I'd like to see the story go away. I would say that I don't care anymore, except I never cared to begin with. Democrats are already moving on, the Republicans need to as well. We've got bigger issues and they need to be focused on that, and not Craig's bathroom behavior. I think what he does, or doesn't do, is between him, his family and the good people of Idaho, not the rest of us.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*resists*

*resists*

*fails*

And whoever's in the next stall.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Generally when you hear attacks on Clinton, they are for having sex, and lying about sex. The complaints by and large I have ever heard against him have nothing to do with his conduct as a governor. That's just personal experience, with Republicans I've met and what I've seen on network tv.
Then you really haven't been watching much network tv. There were (and to a much lesser extent due to him being out of office for almost 7 years now, are) a lot of criticisms of his policies and the way he governed.

Look, I agree that Clinton was criticized for some things unfairly and that some people who criticized him then have posed contradictory arguments. But this myth that the Lewinski scandal is generally the only thing he's criticized for has been becoming more popular recently, and it's not true.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Article I Section 6 of the United States Constitution
The Senators and Representatives...shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same

Minnesota Statutes 2006 609.72 DISORDERLY CONDUCT.
Subdivision 1. Crime. Whoever does any of the following in a public or private place,
including on a school bus, knowing, or having reasonable grounds to know that it will, or will
tend to, alarm, anger or disturb others or provoke an assault or breach of the peace, is guilty of
disorderly conduct, which is a misdemeanor:
(1) Engages in brawling or fighting; or
(2) Disturbs an assembly or meeting, not unlawful in its character; or
(3) Engages in offensive, obscene, abusive, boisterous, or noisy conduct or in offensive,
obscene, or abusive language tending reasonably to arouse alarm, anger, or resentment in others.

Even IF we accept the arresting officer's assertion that a "secret code" was being used, I still haven't read anything which indicates that Craig's conduct or language was offensive, obscene, abusive, or tending to reasonably arouse alarm, anger, or resentment.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Some background on current legal interpretations of the privilege from arrest clause:

quote:
This clause is practically obsolete. It applies only to arrests in civil suits, which were still common in this country at the time the Constitution was adopted. 376 It does not apply to service of process in either civil 377 or criminal cases. 378 Nor does it apply to arrest in any criminal case. The phrase ''treason, felony or breach of the peace'' is interpreted to withdraw all criminal offenses from the operation of the privilege. 379
In the case establishing the rule in the last sentence above, the Court accepted this argument as valid:

quote:
the words 'breach of the peace' should not be narrowly construed, but should be held to embrace substantially all crimes, and therefore as in effect confining the parliamentary privilege exclusively to arrests in civil cases. And this is based not merely upon the ordinary acceptation of the meaning of the words, but upon the contention that the words 'treason, felony, and breach of the peace,' as applied to parliamentary privilege, were commonly used in England prior to the Revolution, and were there well understood as excluding from the parliamentary privilege all arrests and prosecutions for criminal offenses; in other words, as confining the privilege alone to arrests in civil cases, the deduction being that when the framers of the Constitution adopted the phrase in question they necessarily must be held to have intended that it should receive its well-understood and accepted meaning.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
Generally when you hear attacks on Clinton, they are for having sex, and lying about sex. The complaints by and large I have ever heard against him have nothing to do with his conduct as a governor. That's just personal experience, with Republicans I've met and what I've seen on network tv.
Then you really haven't been watching much network tv. There were (and to a much lesser extent due to him being out of office for almost 7 years now, are) a lot of criticisms of his policies and the way he governed.

Look, I agree that Clinton was criticized for some things unfairly and that some people who criticized him then have posed contradictory arguments. But this myth that the Lewinski scandal is generally the only thing he's criticized for has been becoming more popular recently, and it's not true.

To be fair then, if the majority of those arguments came before seven years ago, I probably didn't hear them. When he was elected in 1992, I was eight, and wasn't watching a ton of CNN. When he left office is about when I started really paying attention to politics, when I was 16. So a lot of that probably happened when I wasn't looking. But today, right now, that's not what I hear.

But then I don't watch much Fox News, where you're probably more likely to hear that. I don't know where you've seen it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

For what it is worth, I was both a grown up and a Republican and I didn't hear it either. I wasn't paying that much attention, though.

When I started paying attention, I started voting Democrat.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Something like that.

quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight:
quote:
the second time was pretty much a solid and obvious repudiation of American benevolence.
In your opinion...
Hardly an *isolated* opinion.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I see that Craig is in the news AGAIN, blaming his guilty plea on anything from a newspaper investigating him to the police officer suggesting it was the easy way out.

And to sate DarkKnight:

Sunday article on Hillary's donors.

Friday article on Hillary's fundraising from 2000

Article today on Hillary's issues.

But something you failed to mentioned was numerous issues that Republican candidates are having with their fundraising people. It's being largely ignored by the national media, and not even paid any lip service by Fox News, which continually harps on Democratic fundraising.

From everything I have read about Hillary, I don't see any damning evidence. The issue with Hsu is that he may have spread around a bunch of money and those donors gave to Hillary. Hillary gave the money she was sure was illegally given to a charity, but they are still checking to see whether the other claims have merit or not. How do you believe she should have handled the situation? And the claim in 2000 was thrown out because of her first amendment rights.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

And just to cap it off...
aspectre
Member # 2222

Craig's a piker
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sgt. Karsna ...pointed toward the exit, at which time the defendant (Larry Craig) exclaimed NO!!!!
It's official. Despite a withering judgment denying his attempt to withdraw his guilty plea, Sen Craig has announced he's not resigning. As noted in my second link, he violates 2 promises here:
quote:
Craig's decision today goes counter to not one, but two previous promises: First, his announced intention to resign by Sept. 30; and second, his office's assertion that if his request to withdraw the plea were denied, he'd step down.
I tried to think of another case in which a high official promised to resign by a certain date and then didn't, but I'm stumped.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Oh...to be honest, if I were a Senator, I wouldn't resign. They'd have to throw me out kicking and screaming.

Why would he resign? Retain goodwill? He already knows who his friends are and who has abandoned him. Resigning won't change that.

He'll be gone next election regardless. I certainly hope. I can't imagine Idaho voting for him again.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sen. Craig said in his most recent statement he'd retire at the end of his term in 2008, not seeking reelection.

That's all true, Javert, but in that case, why promise to resign? It looks like Craig was pressured into pleading guilty, and also pressured into promising to resign. Both decisions he soon regretted and later reneged on. How did this guy ever get elected as a decision-maker?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Squirm, GOP, squirm!

Poor old craig. He thought he was going to cop a feel, but instead he felt a cop.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It was stupid to ever make that promise to begin with. He's just giving more fuel to a fire that could have been out by August if he had just fessed up to begin with and defused the situation.

It's ALWAYS worse when it comes out via the a surprise press story.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The cover up is always worse. A botched cover up is disaster.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
How did this guy ever get elected as a decision-maker?
Well I hate to rag on the poor ol' republicans but it's sort of the personality that their power structure has most aptly involved and retained.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Oh please. You have an examples of that, and then counter examples to illustrate it is only the Republicans?

Any time someone begins a lame insult with "I hate to..." you know at least first part of that sentence is baloney.

pooka
Member # 5003

Is there actually any news on this?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Oh please. You have an examples of that, and then counter examples to illustrate it is only the Republicans?
Uh, who is saying that it is solely a republican trait, dude?
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

The implication is certainly there. What did you mean if it wasn't that?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'd say the mere fact a senator is such a wimp that he blames a police officer for bamboozling him into pleading guilty as ground enough to chase him out of office. Talk about being easily swayed. What other crazy legislation has Craig backed because zealous compatriot senators tricked him into backing it?

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
^^ My new kitten had that to say about senator Craig.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.