FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why does Slate hate Mitt Romney? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Why does Slate hate Mitt Romney?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If a miracle is a miracle, it should be miraculous enough that I don't have to assume it's true before I see it.
Ummm...why should this be so? Aside from reaffirming your position, that is.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The deists were constructive theologians; they did not believe they were struggling to explain the world but approached it with confidence in reason. Jefferson (and other deists like Franklin) found deism useful intellectually and politically in its own right, not merely as a crutch.
Which is actually explicitly why I say that Jefferson was not a deist. With the exception of his writing in the Declaration, which may have been partially Paine's in the first place, we don't have much evidence of any persistent belief on Jefferson's part of the value of the supernatural. I have not claimed that Washington or Franklin were atheists, you'll notice; in fact, I've said that Washington pretty clearly wasn't. Jefferson, however, does not appear to share their belief in a sentient Creator.

----------

Kat, I think the reason it's so hard to think of pre-Darwinian atheists is that Occam was right.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, I think there are a dozen other more plausible reasons.

quote:
Kat: Part of my point is, what DO you consider acceptable evidence?
It seems like you're asking me why I believe what I believe, which is an incredibly personal subject for me. I don't feel comfortable sharing it in this venue.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of going completely off topic, I wonder how often "correlation does not equal causation" is actually being used to combat Occam's razor.

Though I guess I could try and tie it back to the matter of miracles and whether they cause faith or not. It is an important tenet of Mormonism that faith precedes miracle, and that people who are "sign-seekers" and look for miracles are spiritually corrupt. It is important because we do believe God continues to perform miracles.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:

quote:
Kat: Part of my point is, what DO you consider acceptable evidence?
It seems like you're asking me why I believe what I believe, which is an incredibly personal subject for me. I don't feel comfortable sharing it in this venue.
In that case, what kind of evidence is your evidence?

If you can't say that without revealing your personal stuff, I understand.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
If a miracle is a miracle, it should be miraculous enough that I don't have to assume it's true before I see it.
Ummm...why should this be so? Aside from reaffirming your position, that is.
Implicit in the definition of a miracle is being unable to explain it away using natural understanding.

What about something like that do I have to believe in beforehand?

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Implicit in the definition of a miracle is being unable to explain it away using natural understanding.

Yes, well in the supposedly crappy example miracle I gave, you couldn't explain it away using natural understanding. You just said, "There must be a non-miraculous explanation for this-I just don't know it yet."

Your perspective renders impossible any miracles to begin with. It's hardly a point in your favor therefore that you wouldn't believe in a miracle.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can?
You can think of a reason for the existence of the universe that does not require modern physics to explain that is simpler than and as accurate as "someone did it?"

The only other one I can think of that's of equivalent simplicity is "it has always been," which is taken by another religion. [Smile]

Nowadays, the gulf is small enough that we can say "we aren't completely sure how this happened, but that's okay." Three hundred years ago, that gulf was big -- and it would have taken a truly exceptional mind not to fill it with a god of some kind.

quote:
It is an important tenet of Mormonism that faith precedes miracle, and that people who are "sign-seekers" and look for miracles are spiritually corrupt.
This is, in my opinion, at least partly because it is possible to talk yourself into belief where disbelief does not exist.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, well in the supposedly crappy example miracle I gave, you couldn't explain it away using natural understanding.
It was close enough to things that are possible, and things that can be simulated, that it wasn't very miraculous.

Miracles that would be much more interesting:
* Take me on a flight through space without any mechanical protection from the vacuum and other hazards of space. Let me note features of planets and moons that I am not familiar with but which I could verify the existence of by referring to astronomical texts later.

* Have me become instantaneously fluent in a language to which I've had no exposure.

* Regrow an amputated limb

* Correct, with no medical assistance, a severe birth defect such as a very bad case of spina bifida.

* Separate, with no medical assistance, conjoined twins.

The last few are particularly interesting because they would fit with God's normal pattern of healing people, but would do it in a much less ambiguous way than he usually gets credit for.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:
Yes, well in the supposedly crappy example miracle I gave, you couldn't explain it away using natural understanding.
It was close enough to things that are possible, and things that can be simulated, that it wasn't very miraculous.

I see it Wednesdays on Heroes and on Fridays on Stargate Atlantis [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Well, it's not really. People's wounds don't just press themselves together and heal themselves up-except on television. Implicit in my example was that you are watching it with your own eyes. That is never seen, and cannot be simulated by special effects.
pooka
Member # 5003

Ah, well, that gets into the old question of whether God as viewed by Mormons is actually supernatural. There was a prominent Mormon scholar, Sterling McMurrin, who argued that God is not supernatural, and that all his miracles would eventually be explicable. I don't hold McMurrin in very high regard, but I've run into views that imply something similar in many a faithful Mormon. If so, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a heretic, since I do find God to be supernatural.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:

That might be implicit in your definition of a miracle, but it sure isn't in mine.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
quote:
Well, it's not really. People's wounds don't just press themselves together and heal themselves up-except on television. Implicit in my example was that you are watching it with your own eyes. That is never seen, and cannot be simulated by special effects.
I did say "close enough" and many "miraculous" phenomena which can be observed in a relatively small area can be simulated by illusionists. So your miracle might seem miraculous depending on the scope and presentation, but a more convincing miracle would be one that could not conceivably faked.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
People's wounds don't just press themselves together and heal themselves up-except on television. Implicit in my example was that you are watching it with your own eyes.

What do you watch TV with, your feet? 1080p must be so lost on you [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a more convincing miracle would be one that could not conceivably faked.
A lot of illusionist tricks are inconceivable to a large portion of the audience. Until you know the trick.

Just because we can't imagine any possible way that it was faked does not mean we'll believe that it wasn't. If we want to believe that it had to have been faked, that's what we'll believe.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
A lot of illusionist tricks are inconceivable to a large portion of the audience. Until you know the trick.
That's why I propose miracles that require processes that cannot be simulated. Sure, regrowing a limb may be medically possible some day, but if it were to happen instantaneously today I'd be a lot more open to the idea of supernatural cause.

quote:
If we want to believe that it had to have been faked, that's what we'll believe.
That assume bad faith(heh) on the part of the observer. I'll believe whatever appears to be true. I may be biased towards a conclusion, but sufficient evidence can sway my conclusions. It's happened before and I'm sure it'll happen again. It helps that I don't have anyone telling me to seek experiences that reinforce my existing beliefs.

Of course a much simpler definition of a miracle for me is "that which would convince me of the existence of God and his nature." Presuming he is omnipotent and omniscient, he both knows what to do and how to do it even if I don't.

Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
quote:

That might be implicit in your definition of a miracle, but it sure isn't in mine.
Well then, what's your definition?
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble with concepts like "miracle" and "supernatural" is that what qualifies in either category is pretty much a matter of subjective opinion. For instance, if God exists there really isn't any reason to consider Him any less "natural" than many of the other strange things out there that exist. And if some bizarre phenomenon happens, there is no real reason to call it a "miracle" instead of "something yet to be explained".

Given this, I'm not sure either concept can be relied upon to make any sort of strong argument for or against anything.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
quote:

Yes, well in the supposedly crappy example miracle I gave, you couldn't explain it away using natural understanding. You just said, "There must be a non-miraculous explanation for this-I just don't know it yet."

Your perspective renders impossible any miracles to begin with. It's hardly a point in your favor therefore that you wouldn't believe in a miracle.

I'm sorry, but I didn't say "There must be a non-miraculous explanation for this-I just don't know it yet."

I said we would need a doctor to check for the injury and healing, and to be completely convinced would need to see it happen more than once.

Seeing something once with absolutely no investigation isn't terribly convincing to me.

pooka
Member # 5003

That is why... you fail. [/yoda]

[Wink]

MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
For instance, if God exists there really isn't any reason to consider Him any less "natural" than many of the other strange things out there that exist
Well, the Universe seems to operate by some strict rules. The arbitrary violation of those rules is as good a definition of supernatural as any. That does leave a lot of room for "something yet to be explained" but I think that we know enough about how some of those rules work that there could be supernatural events which could not be easily explained as just natural phenomena which we do not yet understand.
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
That is why... you fail. [/yoda]

[Wink]

If you can lift an X-Wing out of a bog with the force, then we'll talk. [Wink]
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Javert,

quote:
If I saw it in person, and we had a doctor to indicate that both the person was really injured in the first place and then that the person was really healed...that would definitely give me pause.

If it was repeatable, that would put me well on the way to becoming a believer.

OK, so what you in fact said was, "First I would have to exhaust every conceivable natural explanation, and then I would be 'well on my way" to becoming a believer (in miracles)."

So in fact, you said what I said you said, basically: even if you exhausted every known possible natural explanation, you still would not be convinced it was a miracle.

MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I'm still not sure how you're using the term 'supernatural.' In its common definitions it doesn't really apply to deism in general; indeed, it seems contradictory to deism's very premises.

Anyhow, it's pretty clear Jefferson was a monotheist, though not a Christian (if that means that Jesus was the Son of God or a savior in any metaphysical way). The Waterhouse letter is probably the most conclusive evidence here.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Javert,

quote:
If I saw it in person, and we had a doctor to indicate that both the person was really injured in the first place and then that the person was really healed...that would definitely give me pause.

If it was repeatable, that would put me well on the way to becoming a believer.

OK, so what you in fact said was, "First I would have to exhaust every conceivable natural explanation, and then I would be 'well on my way" to becoming a believer (in miracles)."

So in fact, you said what I said you said, basically: even if you exhausted every known possible natural explanation, you still would not be convinced it was a miracle.

Wow. Even when you quote me, you get it wrong.

I said we investigate it. If there's a natural explanation, it's natural. If there isn't, then it very well may be a miracle.

If it only happened once, I'd probably label it a 'mystery'. But if every time a preacher prayed and laid hands on an injured person they were healed, I'd call that a miracle.

But either way I'm not going to be lenient with my testing parameters.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I said we investigate it. If there's a natural explanation, it's natural. If there isn't, then it very well may be a miracle.

If it only happened once, I'd probably label it a 'mystery'. But if every time a preacher prayed and laid hands on an injured person they were healed, I'd call that a miracle.

This second paragraph is definitely not what you said before. Before you said that even if it was repeated, you would only be "well on your way". Now you're labeling it a miracle.

I don't mind disagreeing about stuff, but please don't get snippy with me about not getting your intent right when you're changing it.

Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
quote:

This second paragraph is definitely not what you said before. Before you said that even if it was repeated, you would only be "well on your way". Now you're labeling it a miracle.

I don't mind disagreeing about stuff, but please don't get snippy with me about not getting your intent right when you're changing it.

"Well on my way" was being simplistic about it. Labeling something a mystery and then testing to see if it happens again is "well on my way" to believing, isn't it?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
In its common definitions it doesn't really apply to deism in general; indeed, it seems contradictory to deism's very premises.
If deists don't realize that their god is supernatural, that's their own failing. [Wink]

As to the letter, I don't think Jefferson's clear dislike of Calvinism is evidence for his own monotheism. His mention of the Quakers is telling: what he dislikes is faith without works, and paradox, and logical impossibility. He sees all these things in Trinitarian religions, which is why he prefers the monotheistic alternatives; it's not like espousing Buddhism or atheism would be practical for him in that situation, especially considering his audience.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

A miracle is anything wondrous. Babies are miracles. A rainbow is a miracle. Agates. Starfruit. Evolution. Fractals. Sand Dollars. Friendship.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Unitarian, eh?

quote:

Isaac Newton was an anti-Trinitarian, and possibly a Unitarian.[9]

The formation of a distinct Unitarian denomination dates from the secession (1773) of Theophilus Lindsey (1723–1808) from the Anglican Church, on the failure of the Feathers petition to parliament (1772) for relief from subscription. Lindsey's secession had been preceded in Ireland by that of William Robertson D.D. (1705–1783), who has been called "the father of Unitarian nonconformity". It was followed by other clerical secessions, mostly of men who left the ministry, and Lindsey's hope of a Unitarian movement from the Anglican Church was disappointed. By degrees his type of theology superseded Arianism in a considerable number of dissenting congregations.

The Toleration Act was amended (1779) by substituting belief in Scripture for belief in the Anglican (doctrinal) articles. In 1813 the penal acts against deniers of the Trinity were repealed. In 1825 the British and Foreign Unitarian Association was formed as an amalgamation of three older societies, for literature (1791), mission work (1806) and civil rights (1818).
(from the wiki on Unitarian theology, as opposed to Unitarian Universalism)

Well that's interesting. I wonder why they are called Deists and not Unitarians?
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

A miracle is anything wondrous. Babies are miracles. A rainbow is a miracle. Agates. Starfruit. Evolution. Fractals. Sand Dollars. Friendship.
I think one of my favorite headlines from The Onion a few years ago was(and I may not get this exactly right):

"Miracle of Childbirth Occurs for the 66 Billionth Time!"

Mucus
Member # 9735

Does anyone else get the same first google hit for "wondrous" as I do?
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So nearly everyone can be sainted, then?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Yep.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Does anyone else get the same first google hit for "wondrous" as I do?

I'm pretty sure, yes.

I'm feeling lucky.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

erosomniac: "The Wondrous Vulva Puppet - educational, healing, empowering ..." ?

JH: Is that what it really means?
C'mon, I remember in my namesake's time when being a saint meant it took getting your head chopped off, picking it up, walking around, preaching, and then being buried on a site that would later be used for the *burial of French kings*.

Now you can program a fractal in five minutes and be called a saint? It looks like "saint" has become the religious equivalent of an "Assistant Manager" at McDonald's [Wink]

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
The trouble with concepts like "miracle" and "supernatural" is that what qualifies in either category is pretty much a matter of subjective opinion. For instance, if God exists there really isn't any reason to consider Him any less "natural" than many of the other strange things out there that exist.

Or any of the ordinary things. Exactly.

quote:
Well, the Universe seems to operate by some strict rules.
Why?

edit to add: For a certain definition of "saint", we indeed could all be saints. In our church, we have niches that hold statues of saints; one of those is left empty "for the saints in our own lives".

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

According to Paul, all Christians are saints.

Tom - I don't think Jefferson's criticism of Calvin is evidence of his own monotheism either. I do think his lavish praise for what he calls the true religion of Jesus - an ethical religion that springs from one true God - is evidence.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I don't know the specifics of how others use the term.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Ah. That I figured was flattery aimed at the recipient of the letter, given Jefferson's other written opinions on the same topic.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Mucus: Yep!

quote:
According to Paul, all Christians are saints.
So I could start addressing my Christian friends as St. Joanna, St. Christine, etc., and no one would get upset unless they think Paul is wrong, right?
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:

Why?

Dunno.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Stupid modern low-standard saints.
*waves a cane*

Get off my lawn!

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:

Why?

Dunno.
Me neither. But I think the fact that it does is kinda miraculous.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Modern?
pooka
Member # 5003

I'm not seeing where Jefferson used the word saint. But you'll have to understand that with the tone of conversation right now, I'm reticent to share my real feelings on the matter.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were a doctor and this thread had been delivered into my ER i would be like 'we need 1500 cc's of chill, stat'
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Me neither. But I think the fact that it does is kinda miraculous.
The universe is wonderful and amazing, but for many people "miraculous" implies an intentional causality which I have no knowledge of.

If "miraculous" just means "wonderful and amazing" to you, then sure, I'm with you.

MattB
Member # 1116

There's a whole lot of correspondence with Joseph Priestly, in which Jefferson expresses similar opinions, and some with John Adams as well.

He wrote to Benjamin Rush that Jesus corrected the religion of the Jews by adding true ethics to their monotheism; he wrote the same to Priestly. I really don't think that this consistency can be written off.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.