FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Loyalty? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Loyalty?
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see what you said above, man. Sorry for dog-piling.....

What would you suggest would be a proper punishment, then? I can't seem to think of one that would be proper that doesn't also affect the student body, most of who are innocent of all of this.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I was mostly satisfied with the punishment. It needs to hurt, but I don't think they should kill the whole program.

Penn State just removed the statue of Paterno from campus, and he lost his legacy as the winning-est coach in NCAA history, heck I don't even think you could say he will be fondly remembered by most people. The school can still play football, and the punishment sends a message that it's going to hurt if you do things like that.

I'm mostly satisfied with the punishment, but my initial reaction is that four years seems a bit short.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The issue is less one of communication and has to do with that .. you say that 'beyond monetary compensation, there is nothing anyone can do' — it's not true; we can disincentivize further abetting. We have a moral duty to.

Paterno put his legacy and his football program ahead of children that he knew were being raped by people he was in charge of. He knowingly let it continue. As did others in control of the system.

Now his legacy and Penn State's football legacy is 112 straight losses, a horrific tale of child rape, and an empty statue bay with the ghost-stains of bronze reliefs.

This is a message not to aid and abet such truly criminal things.

What's the message of the NCAA deciding that they should just butt out and let Penn State decide how to 'punish' themselves?

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a report today that had they not accepted the penalties and signed the consent decree, the NCAA was going to seek the death penalty for four years.

So, they basically sat down with Penn State and said we will seek the death penalty unless you agree to this.

It's a plea bargain.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if that ultimatum was preemptive, or they offered it in response to a Penn State initial balking?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.