FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Trump (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Trump
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom is one of the most fair and caring people on this board, and again, you are not making any friends.

Plus this whole messiah complex you seem to be sporting is so ridiculous as to become funny.
quote:
In the Judgment, I am not the one who will have to apologize to God.
And what if you are wrong? Will the words from God's own lips convince you? I'm seriously asking you. If there is a Judgment day and God Himself says to you, "Ron my son, you are wrong." will you accept it?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
No, Ron. When she says the words translated as "Barack was born in this village"* a family picture is on screen. Sarah Obama is then shown on the screen saying something that's translated as "Even now, he still asks after me."

*As Samp has established in the other thread, the words "Barack nate dhalani" don't actually mean this.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, could you link again to the thread you think we're all looking at? I want to make sure it's the same link to the same video you originally provided this forum. Because in the video you gave us, it's ABSOLUTELY apparent that you are not SEEING her say the words "Barack nate dhalani"

And, hey, I want to hope that this isn't just you being outright and painfully deluded.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the video, and honestly, I think Ron might be imagining/hallucinating her lips moving in the family portrait.

It's the explanation that makes the most sense to me right now.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Your answer was, "She said he was born here." People said, and pointed to proof that she didn't say that. You utterly refused, over and over and over again, to examine it. Here, we'll try again, just for fun.

You claim the video shows her saying one thing, and that is evidence, and nothing has been put forward to dispute that, right? And that 'one thing' is specifically that Obama's grandmother claims he was born in Kenya? That is precisely what you're claiming, yes? That she said, at that time, that he was born in Kenya?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:

It's the explanation that makes the most sense to me right now.

I'm just granting that the other potential explanation is that he's got some other video and his memory's hazy enough that he just doesn't realize that he's not watching the video that he linked to Hatrack.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

I suspect that what happened is that Ron first posted a video he'd seen several times, but hadn't watched recently. He mistakenly remembered the video as containing footage of Sarah saying his favorite line, because he was so convinced by the video. Such false memories are a pretty natural occurrence.

On the basis of his memory, he then claimed that she was speaking on the screen when the sound clip plays, without first going back to double-check that he was right. Now I suspect he just doesn't want to admit being wrong.

Obviously speculation, but I'd bet money on it.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Outside of whether Obama's granny even said this...

Actually, having looked at that video again, they go through a kind of tortured process to even get to 'born in this village'.

The original video clearly says 'is a son of this village' - well yes, he obviously is if his dad came from there. But they've overlaid this subtitle with their own. 'was born (in) this village'.

To explain this, they first say 'or using the English cognate 'is a native of this village'. Then they go on 'The Indic root 'nate' is easy to recognize, as in natural, nativity or pre-natal - it refers specifically to birth.'

Well, maybe. But considering that we have no idea of the other usages of this word, or the idiomatic or familiar usages of this word, she might be using 'ñate' to mean belonging to this village, or at home in this village, or native, meaning that his family live in this village. Or that she considers it to be his ancestral hometown. Or any number of things.

That's even supposing that 'ñate' means what they think it means and comes from the source they suggest. I mean, in Spanish the word 'nata' means cream. It doesn't have much of anything to do with being born, even though it sounds a lot like 'natal'.

[ May 02, 2011, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Bella Bee ]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Ahhh, I love all of you.
Destineer
Member # 821

Thanks, man.

What, in particular, prompted this expression of your love?

Samprimary
Member # 8561

The frenzied albeit practiced communal response to a pile of sanctimonious waffling and lies
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Am I included in the lovefest too?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Sure but you have to quit wanting to punch out rivka, then knife-fight mossad agents.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

How about half...I won't punch rivka, but the knife fight is still on?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:

That's even supposing that 'ñate' means what they think it means and comes from the source they suggest. I mean, in Spanish the word 'nata' means cream. It doesn't have much of anything to do with being born, even though it sounds a lot like 'natal'.

Well, no, let's not go crazy with that idea. Natal, nativo, nacido, nación, and etc, are all evolved from the same latin root natus meaning "to be born" or "to be made." And if you understand a few things about Spanish language phonology and history, you know that the c/t/th sounds are historically linked. a few centuries ago, "nacio" would have been pronounced with a "t" sound in many Spanish dialects.

The root is also common in other indo-european language trees, such as proto-Slavic (narod, and other related terms, or possibly later absorbed into Slavic from Latin). Similar words exist in a number of languages.

Still, that alone says pretty much nothing about what the woman was saying. I know nothing about Swahili, but I do know that it's extremely contorted and faulty logic to suggest that knowledge of Latin or Spanish would actually clue you in, in any helpful way, with the meaning of one word in a specific context. Not only are there nearly 600 Bantu languages in which the word might mean something, there could well be very few people in the world, and even fewer Americans or native English speakers who could even offer a very faithful translation, depending on exactly what dialect she happened to be speaking in or even referencing at the particular moment, *if* she even ever said that. And she may not even speak Swahili as her first language- a great many speakers don't. So, while one can cobble together a vaguely plausible claim about the intended meaning of a word in a totally different language group, I won't be convinced that easily.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Well, now that delusion happy hour ($1 bottomless kool-aid) is over, how about trump, eh?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20061871-503544.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody#ixzz1M51bMLHC

quote:
A recent CBS News/New York Times Poll, conducted April 15-20, finds that while Republicans hold positive opinions of the former speaker of the House, they are not especially enthusiastic about his candidacy.

When Republican voters in the poll were asked if they felt enthusiastic about any of the potential presidential candidates, just 5 percent volunteered Newt Gingrich, trailing Mitt Romney (9 percent), Mike Huckabee (8 percent), and Donald Trump (7 percent). But at this early stage in the campaign, most Republican voters aren't particularly excited about anyone - 56 percent were not enthusiastic about any of the potential candidates.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2011/0511/Is-Donald-Trump-s-presidential-star-falling-Polls-and-pundits-see-a-dip

quote:
The fact that no [Rep candidate] consistently scores above 20 percent [in the polls] doesn't tell you that Trump is a leading candidate. It tells you that Republicans are very dissatisfied with their choices," says Mr. Ayres. "It tells you that this nomination battle is totally wide open, and there is an opportunity for a serious and credible candidate to catch fire and make a run. That serious and credible candidate is not Donald Trump."

In the end, general-election voters suggest that Trump is just plain unelectable. A majority of Americans – 58 percent – say they "would never vote for" Trump, according to the Quinnipiac poll. The only other potential candidate who scored a majority in the "never vote for" column was Ms. Palin, also at 58 percent.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
So on the one hand, I don't get why my party likes Gingrich. I personally hold him responsible for the destruction of civil political discourse in this country.

On the other, it's nice to see that he and Palin are both unelectable. That does make me feel a little better.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Sounds like your party doesn't much like Gingrich, actually.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Yeah, they just 'like' him in the vague sense that there's nobody present as a potential candidate that the republicans are that much more enthusiastic about.
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and if 5% of support is the threshold for a group liking something then that's pretty scary.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Trump has supposedly announced that he's not running after all.

On one hand, probably just as well. But on the other hand, Stewart and Colbert are going to be so disappointed.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
After a roller-coaster flirtation with a presidential bid, Donald Trump bowed out of the 2012 contest in true Trump fashion on Monday, saying that while he would not be a candidate this year, if he had run, he would have been able to win the primary and the general election.

"I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election," Trump said in a statement on Monday.

"I already won, I just don't want to be president." - A joke candidate for idiots
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
My only reaction to that is, "What an A**!"
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.